PDA

View Full Version : PROTEINASE-3 AB/C-ANCA Level when diagnosed and when in remission?

BigSister
08-12-2015, 03:07 AM
PROTEINASE-3 AB/C-ANCA Standard Range <1.0 AI
My sister's value is 33.4

What other values have people experienced? Does it go to the standard range when remission is achieved?

MaxD
08-12-2015, 04:04 AM
There are different units and scales to measure PR3 levels. My labs used 0-20 as normal and my reading on diagnosis was 149. In remission it came down to 5. The insurance company insisted on a different lab which uses the same scale as you - my reading (in remission) shows <1.0.

That said, PR3 levels are not interpreted as level of disease activity, and not used as a predictor of relapse. Even rising PR3 levels alone are not a reliable predictor of relapse.

BigSister
08-12-2015, 04:11 AM
That said, PR3 levels are not interpreted as level of disease activity, and not used as a predictor of relapse. Even rising PR3 levels alone are not a reliable predictor of relapse.

Thanks MaxD! I've been trying to find info online regarding specific values and not finding much, maybe that is why!

This is the first time we've seen an actual value instead of just hearing "PR3 positive"

Birdie
08-12-2015, 04:27 AM
PROTEINASE-3 AB/C-ANCA Standard Range <1.0 AI
My sister's value is 33.4

What other values have people experienced? Does it go to the standard range when remission is achieved?

I don't think the number is what counts, you just want to see it go down and remain stable. When that happens the number becomes one indicator of the patients condition. Every blood draw request the doctor add C-ANCA to the order. Perhaps once a week if possible until there is a change for the better. She's fortunate to have such a solid indicator. That alone removes nearly all doubt about her diagnosis so you know the treatment is for the right condition. And also, if you would please... tell her a lame joke. Really seriously no kidding ultra lame joke... Often.

Birdie
08-12-2015, 04:31 AM
There are different units and scales to measure PR3 levels.

The difference is due to the method used in testing. Different method, different scale.

BigSister
02-24-2016, 05:34 AM
I came back to this thread to confirm the original PR3 level my sister had - it is now at 1.4! Something is working! She's had 2 rounds of Rituxan infusions (August and December). She's been on methotrexate pills but her doctor recently switched her to injectables because he felt it wasn't working (???). She had tapered down to 5mg prednisone but her rheumy recently bumped it up to 20mg for a couple weeks - she had a cold and her eyes and sinuses were showing signs of a 'mini flare'

Pete
02-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Good news on the PR-3!! My PCP said I could bump my pred up for a few days if I had a cold. Haven't had the need to do so, but it's nice to have another arrow in the quiver. I've been holding at 5 mg/day of pred for about two years. Keeps the wegs dog quiet...

Debbie C
02-25-2016, 03:34 AM
I never get my anca or PR3 checked. Does everyone else get it done on their monthly draws ? If so maybe I will ask my dr about it. I'm gonna be at CC March 2nd,if anyone else is going to be there

MaxD
02-25-2016, 04:44 AM
I came back to this thread to confirm the original PR3 level my sister had - it is now at 1.4! Something is working! She's had 2 rounds of Rituxan infusions (August and December). She's been on methotrexate pills but her doctor recently switched her to injectables because he felt it wasn't working (???). She had tapered down to 5mg prednisone but her rheumy recently bumped it up to 20mg for a couple weeks - she had a cold and her eyes and sinuses were showing signs of a 'mini flare'

Excellent that she responded well, and fairly quickly, to the Rituxan!

Alysia
02-25-2016, 10:20 PM
Pr3 is a more subtle derivative of C-anca, therefore it can be a good indicator to wg activity in those who are anca positive. I am and my C-anca and Pr3 are being checked at every labs. For example I now got the Pr3 few points lower then it was before rtx, so I have an idication that the rtx is working. Also Pr3 back to positive was one of the first signs I had that I was out of remmision. Even before other symptoms.
Anyway I guess its not useful for those who always have it negative.

drz
02-26-2016, 04:13 AM
I get ANCA AND PR3 checked annually as part of study on GPA at Mayo and whenever my other lab work or symptoms suggest something might be brewing or going on. Mine does seem to follow my Weg activity and whenever it increases a bit I get it included in my monthly checks till it is back in negative range.

annekat
02-26-2016, 05:12 AM
I deleted a post because I was confusing PR3 with CRP. I'll revise it to say I don't think I have my ANCA or PR3 tested at any regular intervals, if ever. I know I had a barely positive c-anca reading at dx, and that's all I know. Thanks for the explanation of PR3, Alysia.

whatthewhat
02-29-2016, 10:18 AM
For our daughter, PR3 levels have twice been accurate at predicting a flare. I think of them as the early sentry of the lab tests, and her skin as early sentry of symptoms. But as you all know, this is such an individualized disease, and at her age I remain open to the disease taking different turns after she finishes puberty, for example, or when she enters menopause. I do believe it is important for us to track her PR3 (and ANCA) at every lab visit at this point. Here is info on the PR3 test, in case anyone wants a reference. It's not a flawless page, but it has much good info. https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/anca/tab/test/

Debbie C
02-29-2016, 02:01 PM
I wasn't able to bring that site up. But I have it in my notes to ask at CC when I go Wed. about the PR-3. I just got my tests back and all was good. My kidney dr. cked my chlorestoral (sp?) and everything came back high !!!!!!!!! I don't get it,I am very picky about what I eat, and my mother eats all kinds of crap and hers is great??????????? They say that stress can bring it up and I have been really stressed out lately so I need to check that out also ............Bummed out about that :(

annekat
02-29-2016, 03:29 PM
I wasn't able to bring that site up. But I have it in my notes to ask at CC when I go Wed. about the PR-3. I just got my tests back and all was good. My kidney dr. cked my chlorestoral (sp?) and everything came back high !!!!!!!!! I don't get it,I am very picky about what I eat, and my mother eats all kinds of crap and hers is great??????????? They say that stress can bring it up and I have been really stressed out lately so I need to check that out also ............Bummed out about that :( Deb, when I had a high "bad" cholesterol reading years ago (and I may still, I don't remember), my pcp at the time told me I needed to get more exercise. Which would also relieve stress somewhat, in addition to lowering the cholesterol. I'm one to talk... haven't been exercising much lately....