PDA

View Full Version : kidneys

BARON
12-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Hi D has to go for a kidney bi op she is a bit worried as to what it is like any info for her please

elephant
12-14-2009, 05:33 AM
I had a couple kidney biopsies and it wasn't that bad. This was 30-20 years ago. Back then they numbed the area ( no pain) and took a needle to get a tiny bit of my kidney. Just felt pressure. Hope it all works out for you all.:)

Doug
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
My experience with it was the same as elephant's, only it took place six years ago next month. I didn't have any pain during or after the procedure. You are aleert while it takes place, and you are actively involved (if holding your breath on command is "active"! Ha!). :)

Jack
12-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I've had kidney biopsies on two ocasions and my experience did not match the above. I'll say no more.

Luce
12-16-2009, 04:41 AM
I had a kidney biopsy just over a year ago now and it was a fairly simple procedure to get through. You lie on your stomach and an ultrasound is used to find a kidney, then the area is cleaned with iodine and a local anaesthetic (lidocaine in my case) is used to numb the area. Then a long needle is used to go quite deep into your kidney and a small section is removed and put in a jar. The needle makes quite a loud punching noise and you feel some pressure but no pain. A couple of samples may be taken before the procedure is over, then you are flipped on to your back gently (no stitches required) where you must stay flat on your back for about 6 hours to allow the wound to clot. I would suggest that when D is moved on to her back she makes herself as comfortable as possible as she'll be there a while.
After 6 hours I was allowed to sit up but still not allowed to get out of bed for another 6 hours - a bedpan is the only option during this time.
I felt a dull pain like I'd been kicked and was offered painkillers but I didn't think the pain warranted them.

Hope this helps D!