PDA

View Full Version : Osteoporosis medicine ?????

Debbie C
07-29-2015, 12:33 AM
I know we have talked about this before but I don't know what to do. I went awhile back to this dr about something for my osteoporosis. Well he said I can take Boniva ,once a month or get an injection of something else that can last either 6 mo or a year. WELL ya'll know me and medicine so I checked out reviews of Boniva and there was nothing good about it,I don't even see the 20 commercials a day on it anymore.And I really don't want something that can last a year in case I have issues. When I was up to see the dr. at CC she wants me on something and suggested the injections......Not happy with that !!! Here's the thing I have another appt. with this dr. tomorrow and he mentioned before if I don't get an injection there is nothing I can take then. I am about ready to cancel the appt. but before I do I was wondering again what ya'll are taking for bones. She told me calcium supplements are not good for building up bones. Any suggestions are appreciated.....THX !

Debbie C
07-30-2015, 12:42 AM
Well I cancelled my appt. today,I need to check into more options.

annekat
07-30-2015, 07:48 AM
Wish I could help but am confused, too. My WG doc said I should stop the Fosamax after 5 years because of the risks, which you probably read about, and it is a similar drug to Boniva except is taken weekly in a pill. Right, we haven't seen Sally Field touting it for awhile, have we? Anyway, so now I'm just on 2000mg./day Calcium and 2000mg/day Vit D3. Interesting what your doc said. My PCP (a PA) gave me the impression these things would help my bones, but she's also the one who put me on Fosamax. I haven't seen her for awhile or gotten a bone density scan in a long time. I'm sure I'll get a big lecture when I do, if something worse doesn't happen first! I have gotten the impression somewhere that one can use these "bone drugs" for awhile and then take a break from them to minimize the risks, and then go back on them. I hope others can chime in here!

Debbie C
07-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Yea Anne, I asked a couple of drs. ( just too see if I would get the same answer ) and they said calcium isn't for bone strength. ????????????????? I thought it says that on the bottle. I take Vit d3 also ..2000 iu a day. I even asked about fish oil or krill tablets..not. So I don't know. Couldn't have made the appt. today anyway ,was in the er all adternoon. Having horrible stomach pains doubled over for about 2 weeks now. I have to have an endoscopy done Fri. But had a scan done last week and now I have to see a urologist next week because my bladder isn't emptying which could lead to kidney issues. GREAT....Goods news is I lost 3 lbs cuz I can't eat much !!

annekat
07-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Sorry you haven't been feeling well and had to go to the ER. The endoscopy doesn't sound like fun, but I hope it helps them figure out what's going on. So, if calcium isn't for bone strength, or building bones, I wonder what the heck it is for? We will get to the bottom of this. I have heard the opinion expressed that Fosamax, Boniva, etc, build inferior bone. I don't know how much validity there is to that. The other thing I keep hearing is that weight-bearing exercise is good for building bone. That I think is probably true. Anyone else got a viewpoint on this?
Best wishes on your upcoming procedure, and I hope you can eat again soon!

annekat
07-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Well, Deb, here it is straight from the CC saying that Calcium and Vit. D are good for bones. 7 Myths About Calcium, Vitamin D and Healthy Bones ? Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic (http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/05/7-myths-about-calcium-vitamin-d-and-healthy-bones/). The title is a bit misleading. But it also says the article is over two years old, implying it may not reflect current thinking. They did talk about weight-bearing exercise such as walking, which I know I should do. It seemed like in my brief Google search, the people debunking Calcium and D3 were more like alternative or 'functional' medicine people, naturopaths, and like Dr. Mercola. But I didn't take the time to really look at those. More research needed!

Randy
07-30-2015, 02:17 PM
I took didrocal for 3 years and it did help increase bone density. I stopped after that as my dr. told me that after 3years it can cause more harm than good. I've been taking calcium and vitamin C since then, on my doctors advise. He told me it is for bone strength which is what I have always believed.
Also, I have had an endoscopy, they knock you out first so you don't feel anything. It is a fairly simple procedure. Hope it tells the Doctors what your problem is.

gilders
07-31-2015, 06:42 AM
I take Calcium with Vit D3 and alfacalcidol.
I agree weight bearing (bit misleading as this doesn't involve using any extra weights) exercise such as walking should help. This would mean swimming wouldn't help. I personally would recommend both as swimming is much more gentle on joints which many of suffer from.

Anyone who says that Calcium won't help with bones - I'd check that the person isn't in conflict with trying to push an alternative, that will almost certainly be more expensive than Calcium supplements.

Pete
07-31-2015, 09:22 AM
While swimming will take the strain off your legs and spine, it will also provide a full-body workout as there is greater involvement of the shoulders and arms. The quality of the cardio workout from swimming is probably more intense also.

annekat
08-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Anyone who says that Calcium won't help with bones - I'd check that the person isn't in conflict with trying to push an alternative, that will almost certainly be more expensive than Calcium supplements. One site I saw called Save Our Bones talked about other ways of getting Calcium than through the mineral supplements, ("ground up rocks"), which the author felt aren't absorbed at all efficiently. I don't know about the accuracy of any of it, just thought it was interesting and gave lots of info on all aspects of osteoporosis. I had posted a link to it, which may have doomed the post to deletion, since a few products were being sold on the site, mainly books, and one supplement. But it seemed there were lots of articles and info that could be searched without being subjected to a sales pitch. So I'll leave it to anyone to search for it themselves rather than posting the link.

Jaha
08-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Deb,
I'm sorry to hear you are having stomach issues and pain. I hope they get things figured out thru doing the endoscopy. I just had that done in March and it was not a bad procedure at all, but for some reason they could not knock me out. The doc at CC did put me on something for my bones early on, but I don't take it, I do the Calcium w/ Vit.D.I think the medication was called Actonel and taken maybe once a month? I wish you all the best with both issues. Please keep us inform.

drz
08-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I take the generic Fosamax and Vitamin D and two calcium supplements; calcium citrate and generic tums since one seems to work best with food and the other it doesn't matter. I have only slight bone loss and if my next bone scan shows minimal bone loss, I will most likely be off the Alendronate sodium weekly tablets (generic Fosamax). My understanding is these meds mostly help reduce or prevent bone loss which causes bones to become weak and fragile but do little to repair or strengthen bones that are already weakened form bone loss. Exercise also helps reduce bone loss if it stresses the weight bearing bones.

Too much Vitamin D can build up and levels should be checked some times to make your dosage is safe. Too much calcium also creates risks of kidney stones and kidney problems. 2000 mg daily is recommended max supplement for older adults.

Debbie C
08-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks ya'll for your input and for the post from CC. They also say to take calcium so I think that is what I will do for now and I will get back to exercising as soon as I feel better. The good thing is I have now lost 6 lbs from not being able to eat.
I also had endoscopies before so I wasn't too concerned about that...I can call Fri. to get the results of the 4 biopsies he took.
I also have to go see the urologist on Fri. UGH!! I have been so sick..I went and had my monthy blood and urine yesterday so I will get the results tomorrow. I almost feel like I am not in remission anymore. I have been getting very hot than cold and so on. Also so dizzy I can bearly stand up.But I am hoping it is from being drained of so much blood in the er (twice ). The one guy nurse didn't know what he was doing and I had blood all down my arm,on the bed and the floor.He tried 3 times ,then the nurses ( 3 of them ) during my endo. tried 5 times and almost put it in my wrist and I said no way.I am so bruised all over my arms I look like a junky.So that's where I am now, I will know more tomorrow and Fri.Wish me luck...please !

annekat
08-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks ya'll for your input and for the post from CC. They also say to take calcium so I think that is what I will do for now and I will get back to exercising as soon as I feel better. The good thing is I have now lost 6 lbs from not being able to eat.
I also had endoscopies before so I wasn't too concerned about that...I can call Fri. to get the results of the 4 biopsies he took.
I also have to go see the urologist on Fri. UGH!! I have been so sick..I went and had my monthy blood and urine yesterday so I will get the results tomorrow. I almost feel like I am not in remission anymore. I have been getting very hot than cold and so on. Also so dizzy I can bearly stand up.But I am hoping it is from being drained of so much blood in the er (twice ). The one guy nurse didn't know what he was doing and I had blood all down my arm,on the bed and the floor.He tried 3 times ,then the nurses ( 3 of them ) during my endo. tried 5 times and almost put it in my wrist and I said no way.I am so bruised all over my arms I look like a junky.So that's where I am now, I will know more tomorrow and Fri.Wish me luck...please ! Good luck, Deb! :smile1: I'd kinda been wondering how things were going, so it's good to hear from you. I hope all the tests come out OK and that you are not flaring or have some other serious issue... I'm sure you'll let us know when you hear.

drz
08-05-2015, 10:26 PM
I think Debra needs to find a better phlebotomist or lab tech for her blood draws. Sounds like a horrible experience.

Debbie C
08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
I think Debra needs to find a better phlebotomist or lab tech for her blood draws. Sounds like a horrible experience.

Its funny,whenever I go get my bloodwork,they get it on they first try. Its the nurses that stab me all over. Well I did get my bloodwork and urine results today and all is good. So I don't know what the heck is going on.Today is was in the 80's and I was lying on the couch with a blanket...cold then the next minute I am sweating.Hopefully the urologist can come up with something Fri. If not I will call CC.

Jaha
08-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Deb,
I'm glad that all your test were good. This disease can't be trusted, like feeling do poorly and then have nothing show up in the labs. I have that sweating and then get really cold afterwards. I sweat so badly that it runs down my face. I hope you get some answers from your urologist or CC soon, so that you will feel better. Take care of yourself.

annekat
08-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Me, too... glad to hear your tests were good. I hope they get to the bottom of what is going on, and you can start feeling better.... having some answers will help.

Debbie C
08-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Thx Jana and Anne..I was worried about by bloodwork so I too was relieved it came back good. But the question is now ...WTH ?? Im like you too Jana, I feel like Im having hot flashes again !!!! As soon as someone figures it out I'll let ya'll know, but you know how this goes...don't hold your breathe !

BookNut
09-17-2015, 11:11 PM
I know we have talked about this before but I don't know what to do. I went awhile back to this dr about something for my osteoporosis. Well he said I can take Boniva ,once a month or get an injection of something else that can last either 6 mo or a year. WELL ya'll know me and medicine so I checked out reviews of Boniva and there was nothing good about it,I don't even see the 20 commercials a day on it anymore.And I really don't want something that can last a year in case I have issues. When I was up to see the dr. at CC she wants me on something and suggested the injections......Not happy with that !!! Here's the thing I have another appt. with this dr. tomorrow and he mentioned before if I don't get an injection there is nothing I can take then. I am about ready to cancel the appt. but before I do I was wondering again what ya'll are taking for bones. She told me calcium supplements are not good for building up bones. Any suggestions are appreciated.....THX !

quite a few years ago, a PA at my PCP's practice was horrified at my bone density report. She wrote me a script for boniva. I ignored it for awhile, and then decided to fill it. The script was a few months old at that point, so they called my PCP (a medical dr with a specialty in integrated med) to get her approval. She would not give it and told me to come see her. She was very angry with the PA for issuing the script in the first place. She said that the bone built with Boniva was weak and women were getting horific fractures in places they never did before, such as the upper thigh bone. I remember a year later, that research came to light. She is always ahead of the curve. Anyway...she prescribed 1500 mg of calcium a day, along with 5000 a day of D3. She also told me to start a walking regimen. I have regular blood tests to check on the d level. I took her advice. Before this illness hit me 4 years ago, I was up to 5 miles a day, and I just loved it. The results? The osteopena in my neck disappeard completely and the osteoporosis in my lower spine was upgraded to osteopena. It has stayed stable even though this illness has ended my walking for the past three years. So...I would say to go that route, even if you can't exercise right now.

I am SO sorry to hear that you have been so ill. Please let us know how you are progressing!

Birdie
09-18-2015, 12:33 AM
horrified at my bone density report. She wrote me a script for boniva.

I had a bone density scan last week for no apparent reason, just an unexpected phone call to schedule it requested by the rheumatologist. Yesterday's appt with her she said I had mild bone loss. Not sure how they could know since I've never had a scan before and she said they couldn't compare scans anyway because machines are all different, even the same machine's calibration between scans makes it impossible to compare results from different time periods. A bit confusing as to what good the scan does.

How do I get her focus on my actual problem (Wegeners) instead of going off in random directions like bone density? There is no way to communicate with her between appointments. The last one was two months ago and the next appointment is scheduled for six weeks. It's a "telephone appointment". She's going to call me. They're supposed to call to schedule some sort of nerve testing and adrenal gland test. I was told to expect that call in about four weeks, no idea how long after that before the tests would be scheduled. Seems the VA is a little behind. That's OK since it's clearly not what I need. Even teeth falling out seems to be something we simply ignore.

annekat
09-18-2015, 03:07 AM
That is a good testimony, Jacquie. I stopped taking Fosamax after about 5 years and have, all along, been taking 2000mg of Calcium a day and 2000mg. of D3, on the advice of my PA, who also prescribed the Fosamax but did want to be sure I knew of the risks. I haven't talked to her in awhile and am way overdue for a visit and also for a bone density scan. I had one several years ago that revealed osteopenia in my neck. So, sounds like the walking made a big difference for you, too. All the more reason for me to get out and do it. 5 miles a day would really be a first for me. It's 4 miles to my auto mechanic and back and I've only done that occasionally, and not for a long time.

BookNut
09-18-2015, 03:20 AM
I had a bone density scan last week for no apparent reason, just an unexpected phone call to schedule it requested by the rheumatologist. Yesterday's appt with her she said I had mild bone loss. Not sure how they could know since I've never had a scan before and she said they couldn't compare scans anyway because machines are all different, even the same machine's calibration between scans makes it impossible to compare results from different time periods. A bit confusing as to what good the scan does.

How do I get her focus on my actual problem (Wegeners) instead of going off in random directions like bone density? There is no way to communicate with her between appointments. The last one was two months ago and the next appointment is scheduled for six weeks. It's a "telephone appointment". She's going to call me. They're supposed to call to schedule some sort of nerve testing and adrenal gland test. I was told to expect that call in about four weeks, no idea how long after that before the tests would be scheduled. Seems the VA is a little behind. That's OK since it's clearly not what I need. Even teeth falling out seems to be something we simply ignore.

Sounds like your doctor has a listening problem! Frustrating!

BookNut
09-18-2015, 03:58 AM
So, sounds like the walking made a big difference for you, too. All the more reason for me to g. miles a day would really be a first for me. It's 4 miles to my auto mechanic and back and I've only done that occasionally, and not for a long time.

My docs advise for walking was very good. Do not pay attention to how far you walk. Pay attention to how long you walk. Build from 10 minutes to at least 30 minutes. Some days you will go further than others. Focus on consistency..not distance. Eventually my stamina improved and I could usually do 5 miles in the 80-90 minutes I set aside at the end of my work day. If I had to leave off the last 1 mile loop because my back hurt that day...so be it. But I started with 10 minutes for a week, the went up to 15 for a week and so on, till I was up to 80 or 90 minutes.

Today I started my yoga routine again. And for the next 7 weeks, I will be going to rehab three times a week. I plan to start walking outside after that. I actually love cold weather walking. It just has to be over 20 degrees F with nothing falling out of the sky.

annekat
09-18-2015, 04:14 AM
I think I could manage at least 30 minutes now, though the distance might not be great.... down to the end of my road and back is about a mile, I'm guessing. A couple of months ago, my tenant's chihuahua took off in the middle off the night and I walked up and down for at least an hour looking for him (he finally turned up). Some sort of adrenalin, or more likely, pred rush kept me going and I didn't even get out of breath. Today I feel like walking a ways would be no problem. Good to hear your doc's advice, and I'll definitely keep it in mind. The yoga sounds great, too.... that one is a little harder for me to get into. It's so easy just to go out the door and keep walking. For the yoga, I'd need a space cleared and some basic instruction. You did send me a video clip, which I still have, and I have a DVD or VHS tape, too. So maybe clearing the space is the biggest hurdle.

BookNut
09-18-2015, 04:58 AM
I know. Outdoor walking it THE BEST! So easy. No need to pack up equipment and go to the gymn. Awesome. That Chihuahua was a lucky dog to have someone to look our for him. Hope he stays put for awhile!

I think I will walk after dinner tonight when it is cooler. 10 minuter goal.

Birdie
09-18-2015, 05:34 AM
Sounds like your doctor has a listening problem! Frustrating!

Worse, she thinks she knows something about Wegenerns, I don't see it, nada, zip, nutin... Might be the best in her field but it sure aint this... Not listening is bad but not knowing is another story. Combine that with being unavailable. This sucks, I've got no option and no relevant health care.

BookNut
09-18-2015, 05:38 AM
Worse, she thinks she knows something about Wegenerns, I don't see it, nada, zip, nutin... Might be the best in her field but it sure aint this... Not listening is bad but not knowing is another story. Combine that with being unavailable. This sucks, I've got no option and no relevant health care.

I hope there are some other options in your area - even if you have to travel a bit further than you would like. Even a doctor who is NOT an expert, but it interested in learning and reaching out to other specialists for advice would be better than this nonsense. You might find some good recommendations for a weggie doctor by looking at the archives and posting a request for recommendations. Good luck!

annekat
09-18-2015, 06:00 AM
I think I will walk after dinner tonight when it is cooler. 10 minuter goal. OK, you got me. At least 10 min. for me today, too, probably more. Will report back.

BookNut
09-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Here is a little something to cheer you up Birdie!

Dad Starts Playing Elvis, Now Watch The Bird On The Right. HILARIOUS! (http://cockatoo.littlethings.com/cockatoo-loves-elvis/?utm_source=LTas&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=animals)

Birdie
09-18-2015, 09:29 AM

Dad Starts Playing Elvis, Now Watch The Bird On The Right. HILARIOUS! (http://cockatoo.littlethings.com/cockatoo-loves-elvis/?utm_source=LTas&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=animals)

That umbrella needs dancing lessons. Two of the three living here would have been singing along with volume set at max, and since their wings aren't clipped like that poor bird... they'd get so excited they would fly to the music.

drz
09-19-2015, 02:36 AM

Love this video, amazing.

Birdie
09-19-2015, 12:19 PM
I hope there are some other options in your area - even if you have to travel a bit further than you would like. Even a doctor who is NOT an expert, but it interested in learning and reaching out to other specialists for advice would be better than this nonsense. You might find some good recommendations for a weggie doctor by looking at the archives and posting a request for recommendations. Good luck!

I don't have options, this the VA health care system. Even that is not something I choose.

BookNut
09-19-2015, 12:37 PM
I don't have options, this the VA health care system. Even that is not something I choose.

Bummer! We need the fix the system!!

Birdie
09-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Bummer! We need the fix the system!!

Some of the Phx VA system is absolutely phenomenal, from my VERY limited experience.

The rest might as well not even exist, just shut down those parts and fire the people involved in those areas since THEY are the problem.

Imagine this: You go to your doctors office and find the reception person has their window completey blocked with computer monitors and the case for the computer. You can't see this person, you're greeted by piles of computer cables and noise from the PC cooling fan. The person behind the wall of hardware WILL NOT TALK LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU TO HEAR THEM NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU BEG, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU SAY "Sorry but I can't hear you." "I have no idea what you said." "Will you PLEASE speak up so I can hear you?" They just begin to ignore you, talk to coworkers, etc... until you go away. THAT is my doctors office compliments of the VA system. The ONLY thing I heard clearly was being yelled at for moving one of the monitors enough to hopefully communicate. That was also my only glimpse of the person at the desk.

Now, whaddaya think? Is this a broken system? When a large doctors office inside a VA hospital is operating that way, and it's that obvious, that blatant? Any administrator just walking by can't possibly help but notice this condition. It's at desks all over the hospital.

Margaret_B
10-13-2015, 09:20 AM
Debra C.
About medications for osteoporosis...I went through the same discussions with my doctor. Yes, Calcium supplements are not enough to prevent fractures, though I still take one 600 mg tablet and 1000 units of Vitamin D per day. I accepted the injection, i.e. one shot every 6 months, because I do not want to take any more pills and I prefer the long-term protection. I was given PROLIA. I experienced NO side effects EXCEPT, if you are given the medicine right out of the refrigerator (it has to be kept cold in the doctor's office), it will REALLY STING when it is being injected. Ask the nurse to let the serum get to room temperature first. Also,l this week I am starting a 5-week course for special exercises and lifestyle changes, taught by a trained nurse, so I accept responsibility myself for care of my bones. Other than that, I am not going to put too much effort or thought into whether or not I MAY have fractures. The GPA and care of it is of much greater importance to me and I am NOT going to spend my whole remaining life running from doctor to doctor to doctor! Good luck with the decision about the injection or not...let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Erin2014
10-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi Debra,

Sorry to hear you are feeling crappy!

Not sure if this will help... While I was on pred my kidney specialist prescribed 70 mg Alendronate orally once a week. It can cause esophagus ulcers so you must sit upright for 30 minutes after taking it. This bisphosphonate slows bone loss and increases bone density. Once I stopped pred I stopped taking Alendronate. I now take calcium carbonate twice daily with food to improve absorption.

I had an endoscopy before my diagnosis in 2014, not sure how they do the test in Ohio, but I light sedation and they also froze the back of my throat so I didn't feel anything. At the same time, they took samples to check whether I was gluten intolerant, celiac, etc.) Good luck!

Debbie C
10-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Thx for the info Margaret and Erin. I haven't decided what to do. I am taking Calcium supplements and when first dxed I was on Fosamax which sounds close to the Alendronate but you are not supposed to be on that for long. I just don't handle meds well and don't want to be given a shot that I may have a reaction to then be sick from it.
I had an endoscopy a couple o9f months ago and all was good.

annekat
10-14-2015, 04:04 AM
Thx for the info Margaret and Erin. I haven't decided what to do. I am taking Calcium supplements and when first dxed I was on Fosamax which sounds close to the Alendronate but you are not supposed to be on that for long. I just don't handle meds well and don't want to be given a shot that I may have a reaction to then be sick from it.
I had an endoscopy a couple o9f months ago and all was good. Fosamax is just a brand name for alendronate. I got the feeling most take it weekly, but some take it in a monthly dose. It is in a class of meds called biophosphonates, and I think the injectable forms such as Boniva are, too. I don't know about Prolia. It sounds like a brand name for something. My doc told me not to take Fosamax for more than 5 years because although it builds bone, there is a risk of certain types of fractures, notably in the femur, and some problems in the jaw. I've read that it can be started up again after a time but would have to talk to a doc about it. I think calcium plus Vitamin D3 promotes the ongoing process of bone being built. It depends on where you read, whether that and weight bearing exercise alone are enough to build up bone that has been lost. A friend on here has said that Fosamax and the like build inferior bone, and that her bone density screenings showed great improvement after she did a lot of walking every week, probably along with calcium supplements. FWIW. I know this is repeat info, but it's hard to look back in a longer thread, sometimes.

Girly3800
10-14-2015, 02:34 PM
My husband has just gone through this evaluation process. He has compression fractures in his spine and something was definitely needed. After much analysis - Fosamax is not a good option - doesn't build bones just retards deterioration. After he took Fosamax for two years it started giving him problems including mouth ulcers. Prolia and the like - whether bi-annually or annually run risks of side effects and you're stuck with them for 6 months or a year - and those can affect kidney function and he is borderline for kidney problems. We didn't want to risk any problems there.

The choice ended up being Forteo - a daily injection very like an insulin shot although the needle is smaller. Forteo does build bones and can be taken for two years. My husband has been on it for a month now and there are no apparent side effects - at least not yet. The biggest drawback is the cost of the medication and the hoops you go through to obtain it. A one month supply is upwards of $2,400 a month. We are incredibly fortunate that we have excellent health insurance and they only required a statement of medical necessity and they approved it. The manufacturer is actually pretty good about working with providers and so far the process has worked well - just need to be around home when the shipment arrives - it comes in a cooler.

annekat
10-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Forteo does build bones and can be taken for two years. My husband has been on it for a month now and there are no apparent side effects - at least not yet. The biggest drawback is the cost of the medication and the hoops you go through to obtain it. A one month supply is upwards of $2,400 a month. We are incredibly fortunate that we have excellent health insurance and they only required a statement of medical necessity and they approved it. The manufacturer is actually pretty good about working with providers and so far the process has worked well - just need to be around home when the shipment arrives - it comes in a cooler. Wow. I don't think Medicare would go for that. But I'd like to research it anyway just to find out more about it, and some of the other injectables.

Debbie C
10-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Well unless it would come in pill form there is NO way I could give myself a shot everyday.And that is a pretty steep price but thx for the info ,I will check into it. Maybe it comes in pill form.

annekat
10-15-2015, 03:58 AM
Well unless it would come in pill form there is NO way I could give myself a shot everyday.And that is a pretty steep price but thx for the info ,I will check into it. Maybe it comes in pill form. Oh, me either.... but this sure does sound like something completely different, coming in a cooler and all...

Birdie
10-15-2015, 04:34 AM
Oh, me either.... but this sure does sound like something completely different, coming in a cooler and all...

The cooler thing is more common than you might think. I had a nurse living with me who did clinics in offices and places like Walmart. The supplies, including large numbers of vaccinations, were delivered a couple times week and always filled the fridge. Usually it seemed that the cooler was no longer cool. Made me wonder if the vaccines were any good after running around in a FedEx truck in August in Phoenix.

Also, giving yourself a shot is not as traumatic as you may think. They're not the same level of difficulty as what you get from a medical person, combined with a bit of reassuring training. I even did tube feeding for my wife during breast cancer and I'm a guy with no medical skills. Can someone please tell me, which end of the thermometer goes up your nose?

annekat
10-15-2015, 04:50 AM
My mom had to give herself insulin shots when she temporarily went diabetic from taking pred, after having pneumonia. I know a lot of people have to do this and have no choice. So, I'm sure any of us could get used to it if we had to, especially if we needed it to stay alive! You're to be commended, Gary, for taking on those procedures to take care of your wife. I imagine, too, that there wasn't any choice, short of hiring someone to be on hand to do it....

Girly3800
10-15-2015, 10:33 AM
In this case there are also frozen ice packs in the cooler and they are always still frozen.

Birdie
10-15-2015, 02:57 PM
You're to be commended, Gary, for taking on those procedures to take care of your wife. I imagine, too, that there wasn't any choice, short of hiring someone to be on hand to do it....

We had Andrew for a year, a nurse who needed a place to live while going back to school, he helped both of us a great deal. Sue was too embarrassed to let him help with most of her intimate needs. Sheeesh, Sue was a nurse AND breast cancer survivor, she should have understood but was far too depressed and scared to think clearly. That's why I urge people here to keep a clear head, leave emotion out of health care. Sue died of confusion more than breast cancer. She couldn't make good choices or take action when needed. She waited six months after diagnosis to start chemo and by then she had gone from 70% to 0% chance of remission.

annekat
10-15-2015, 03:40 PM
We had Andrew for a year, a nurse who needed a place to live while going back to school, he helped both of us a great deal. Sue was too embarrassed to let him help with most of her intimate needs. Sheeesh, Sue was a nurse AND breast cancer survivor, she should have understood but was far too depressed and scared to think clearly. That's why I urge people here to keep a clear head, leave emotion out of health care. Sue died of confusion more than breast cancer. She couldn't make good choices or take action when needed. She waited six months after diagnosis to start chemo and by then she had gone from 70% to 0% chance of remission.
Well, I can't "like" that, because it is sad, but thanks for the explanation, and I'm glad you did have some help for awhile. I can relate to being scared and confused and putting things off, and how they can sometimes go together. And emotions do contribute to confusion, in stressful situations involving decision making. It's somewhat understandable that she'd rather have someone very close to her emotionally and physically, to help with the more intimate needs. But it must have been hard on you, too, as it was on my stepmom when she was caretaker to my dad, before he passed, and had to deal with all the unpleasant aspects of it, and the pain of seeing him in that state. The patient gives up a lot of his or her dignity, and the caretaker must look beyond that and promote self-esteem along with a caring and patient bedside manner. Or so I imagine, not having been in that situation.

Debbie C
10-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Birdie, I am sorry about your wife,what a good husband you were.

Margaret_B
10-16-2015, 02:05 PM
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Just got back from my first session of specialized exercise for Osteopenia/Osteoporosis. After taking hundreds of hours of exercise classes over the years, I admit I did not think there would be anything new for me to learn tonight. I only took the class based on my Rheumatologist's strong recommendation to take it (and I think the world his expertise as a doctor, so I will follow anything, pretty much, that he recommends). I could not have been more wrong!

The class is offered in the Wellness Center of my Rheumatologist's practice. It costs $100 for 5 sessions and is not covered by insurance. The classes are based on "The Meeks Method", by Sara M. Meeks, P.T. Her book is "Standing Tall", ISBN 978-0-937404-71-3. The exercises I learned in the past can actually HARM my bones and joints and cause or contribute to fractures. The Meeks Method strengthens bones and causes them to absorb more calcium from our blood. It helps prevent the hallmark sign of Osteoporosis, the hump on our backs! It helps with posture and muscle strength. Hope this helps someone.

annekat
10-16-2015, 02:35 PM
That sounds great, and the cost seems quite reasonable. Good to know about the book, too. I think I'll search it and bookmark it right now. I'm SURE this info will help someone. Thanks!

annekat
10-16-2015, 02:43 PM
The book I found by that author is called Walk Tall. It is available in different editions including a paperback that is around $13.50 or so.

Debbie C
10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
I checked out Amazon and couldn't find it for that price Anne, but I did find it and a few others. Thx for the info Margaret,I will look into getting one of these, I will have to see what the library has, maybe I can download it.

annekat
10-17-2015, 04:48 AM
I checked out Amazon and couldn't find it for that price Anne, but I did find it and a few others. Thx for the info Margaret,I will look into getting one of these, I will have to see what the library has, maybe I can download it. Here are some listings I just found for it used on Amazon, as low as $13.50. It was in the spiral-bound edition.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Walk Tall! an Exercise Program for the Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0937404624/ref=sr_1_2_twi_spi_1_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445013886&sr=1-2&keywords=walk+tall+by+sara+meeks)