PDA

View Full Version : Hydroxychloroquine

janNaz
07-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Has anyone been prescribed this for wegs eye involvement?

mishb
07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Better known as Plaquenil.

I had eye involvement as scleritis and uveitis, but I was not prescribed this until two years later when osteoarthritis set in.
Plaquenil is mainly prescribed for Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis and the like, which I also have

Actually, as far as I know, it would never be prescribed for eye involvement as plaquenil can cause irreversible damage to the retina and you need to have your eyes tested every 12 months with a special machine, to make sure that your eyes are okay.

Are you taking or about to take it?

janNaz
08-04-2015, 03:56 AM
Thanks for reply Michelle. My wegs unfortunately has become active, and I've been on a roller coaster ride for several months now. This time around I believe it has affected my right eye (I've never had eye involvement), as the white part has been blood shot for several weeks now. My ophthalmologist examined my eyes and determined the episclera and sclera of my right eye are inflammed so prescribed prednisone drops, which I'd been using for a little over a month now. Everything else as far as vision, eye pressure, retina, etc., are normal. After the latest eye exam, the schlera has improved but the episclera has not, and despite not much improvement to the episclera ophthalmologist wants me to stop the drops because of side effects. Ophthalmologist believes it's the wegs, but my rheumy does not, which is why rheumy prescribed hydroxycholoroquine. Rheumy explained that its initial use was to treat malaria and then RA, Lupus, etc., but it is also used to treat eye disease. I've read the side effects and it scares me, but with hesitation I started taking it...about a week now. I'm seriously thinking of discontinuing it because of the side effects. I'm currently on 100 mg of AZA, 750 mg of Cellcept, and 20 mg of pred. Basically, there's not much more ophthalmologist can do....so I've got to convince my rheumy it's the wegs. :confused1:

mishb
08-05-2015, 11:17 PM
It will be the wegs :sad:

My uveitis and scleritis was definitely wegs. The pred drops cleared it up.
You should only use steroid eye drops for a couple of days and then a day or two off before using again (this is only what my doc said).

Plaquenil is a bit like MTX in that it takes at least 6 to 8 weeks to start working fully. I wouldn't think one week or so would have much effect yet.
Did the Ophthalmologist agree to you taking the plaquenil. He would be the one that I would listen to in regards to anything relating to your eyes - not your Rheumy.

I hope your eyes clear up quickly so that all of the above, doesn't become a big issue.