PDA

View Full Version : Lung operation

charitygolfdays
07-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Firstly, I can't believe it's almost five years since Ju's first complications and, my delight in finding this forum.
while not active with posts Ju and I have drawn great comfort when her treatment has changed can by checking here in the forum.
So here is an update, following an interesting 2015.
Ju started the year taking a weekly dose of methotrexate (17.5mg) with a daily dose of prednisone, varying between 10mg down to 5mg and then 2mg.

Ju experienced a slight flare and the steroids were increased. During her check ups, Ju asked for a chest X-ray and this showed a nodule in her right lung.

The steroids were increased to 40mg per day for six weeks to try and eliminate the nodule. Cutting a long story short, this didn't shift the nodule.

Ju then had a CT scan, followed by a PET scan which resulted in a lung surgeon recommending surgery to remove the nodule.

Ju had the operation last Thursday morning. A pioneering surgeon, Mr Khalid Amer, removed the top lobe of her right lung and the lymph nodes, via keyhole surgery.

Prior to the operation, Ju stopped taking the methotrexate, staying with the steroids. Post op, Ju has now taken her first dose of the methotrexate.

Ju is now experiencing swollen glands in her neck and the team at the hospital are now treating her for post op emphysema.

Is this something any of you have experience with?

I will find out tomorrow about the medication they're treating Ju with via IV drip for the emphysema.

Our concern is is that we should be getting back on top of her steroid levels. Currently Ju is on 5mg per day.

any thoughts appreciated.

Jase & Ju

Jaha
07-28-2015, 03:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear that she has had to have such a drastic lung surgery. I have COPD on top of the Wegener's and before being dx'd, I had an lung wedge resection. They took three large places from my lower left lung amounted to 30 grams. The treatment that I'm on for the emphysema/COPD is steroids and steriod inhalers also nebulizers. I have to have PFT's every six months to see what the capacity of my lungs are. I just recently read an article that a group of Pulmonologist had written about seeing Wegener's patients developing COPD in some cases. Wishing Ju all the best in healing.