PDA

View Full Version : The Ballad of Prednisone

BookNut
05-24-2015, 07:29 AM
I found this today on a FB page for COPD. I am sharing it with permission, as I knew there were many here who can relate! Enjoy!

The Ballad of Prednisone

Hello there my friend
I'm on the Preds again
Hurting when I breathe
Noisy when I wheeze
What dirty rotten luck
Was I pummeled by a truck
Tightened band around my chest
Makes it really hard to rest
Breathing from my belly
Phlegm as thick as jelly
What a glue this stuff would make
It's keeping me awake
But still I know I'm blessed
I'm up and not depressed
My friends are not delaying
I know that they are praying
I can almost hear them say
There will be a better day
And it will surely happen sooner
With that crazy sense of humor
By Lee English

Alysia
05-25-2015, 03:55 AM
Its awesome. Thanks for sharing.
long ago I wrote here love letter to pred. Here it is:

My Dear pred,
for years we are good friends. I will never forget how you saved my life, only you. even the docs didn't know at that time how important you are going to be in my life. they just checked if you can help me.
I needed you to be strong enough with me at the begining (60mg) and you cleared my lungs so well with no other help.
not only that, you drained my ears, you calmed my aching red joints, you stopped my diarhea and terrible pains in my stomach. (since i have also colon involovement).
I'm gratefull to you, my pred, for all that.
and there is more: you were not cruel to me like you are with others: you didnt disturb my sleep at nights. never. you didnt make me gain weight.
I admit I didnt like much the "cocker spaniel face" coming after "moon face". ("moon face" was nice, everyone said)
you even helped me cook better (more gourmet food) and feelling Hi, when i was depressed.
BUT, my dear pred, isn't it time to start separation ?
you know I hate sepatations but I can handle one from you.
so please, release me. set me free. I will never forget you.
I promise.
yours, sincerely

annekat
05-25-2015, 12:00 PM
And you did get off the pred, did you not, Alysia? I think I'm remembering that you shared a special tapering schedule that worked for you.

Alysia
05-25-2015, 11:30 PM
And you did get off the pred, did you not, Alysia? I think I'm remembering that you shared a special tapering schedule that worked for you.

No Anne. The schedule was nice but didnt work for me. I had the most crazy headaches even from reducing 0.5 mg. So I am with 5mg and I am not going to try tapering again. The pain was crazy.

annekat
05-26-2015, 01:58 AM
Thanks for explaining, Alysia. I haven't gotten that low yet. Headaches were only a problem for me right around the time of my dx, so now it is helpful to know they could happen again if I try to get off pred. For you to keep taking 5mg. indefinitely doesn't sound too bad and I think quite a few others end up doing that.

drz
05-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks for explaining, Alysia. I haven't gotten that low yet. Headaches were only a problem for me right around the time of my dx, so now it is helpful to know they could happen again if I try to get off pred. For you to keep taking 5mg. indefinitely doesn't sound too bad and I think quite a few others end up doing that.
That is my current plan. I had to go down by 1/4 mg to get down to 5 mg. I cut some 1 mg pills into half and some 2.5 mg pills into half and then mixed and added as needed to my 5 mg pill for my taper down.