PDA

View Full Version : Going out in the Sun

Yvonnea
05-10-2015, 10:27 PM
I have a friend who has recently been diagnosed with sarcoidosis. She was told by her Doctor that she can not go out in the sun because of it, and even on foggy days to wear a high factor sun cream and hat. I thought it was only on certain meds that we were to be extra careful of the sun.
I am living in Sweden, so don't get much warm weather, but do like to sit out and catch a few rays when I can. Firmly believe it helps with my moods etc. I am currently in remission and off meds. Obviously, I wear a sun factor but just wondering what do you all do, do you try and avoid sitting out etc?.

Thanks.
Yvonne

gilders
05-11-2015, 02:30 AM
I also feel much better in the sun and always book holidays/vacations with sunny destinations in mind. My skin is paper thin in places, most likely due to many years of prednisolone, but I don't avoid the sun completely.
I would, as you mention, use sun screen. You should still feel the benefit of the sun without the risk, so long as you don't stay out too long in the middle of the day.

Dirty Don
05-11-2015, 02:50 AM
I live in Arizona & golf 3 days a week, don't wear sunscreen, only had one run in with skin cancer in 15 years, no ill effects from drugs when I was on them, 'nuff said. LOVE THE HEAT & SUN!!!

morningsunshine
05-11-2015, 02:56 AM
I intentionally go out walking in the sun (when it's there) for 15-20 minutes a day to get some vitamin D!

i'm on Bactrim 3x/week which supposedly causes photosensitivity, but I haven't noticed any problems with it.

vdub
05-11-2015, 03:42 PM
I take the normal precautions that I have taken most of my life. Sunscreen when out in blazing sun, but normally nothing but a hat, long pants, and a sport shirt. I rarely wear shorts.

A neat thing about sarcoidosis -- "About half of cases resolve without treatment or can be cured within 12–36 months, and most within five years."
Sarcoidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcoidosis) (under the prognosis section)
Lets hope she has sarcoidosis and not one of the other incurable auto-immune diseases.....

Eduardo
05-11-2015, 11:27 PM
I've been living in a sunny place and no problem with that. I take care of it as a normal person do, using sun screen whem I'll be exposed.