PDA

View Full Version : A shot in the ____ for lingering joint pain

MikeG-2012
04-08-2015, 09:22 AM
I was having so much joint pain that I went to see my rheumy a few weeks ago. When I went in, I was sure that I was having a flare up. Every joint in my body hurt in the morning when I got up. Every indicator to me said flare up, but I'm a little over-sensitive, like many of us on here. So my doc did tests for every kind of inflammation--Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, anything that could still be causing my joint pain. Everything came back negative. CRP and Sed Rate are both textbook right now, and Iam due for two more Rituxan treatments in May and the first week in June. So what to do...

After a short discussion of my lab work, my rheumy recommended a steroid shot to use as a bridge medication between RTX treatments. The drug he chose was Kenalog. (link here (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9/triamcinolone-acetonide-injection/details)) The shot had to given in one of the body's largest muscles--you guessed it, I had to drop my pants. LOL!

Anyway, it's been two weeks, and I feel 75% better. I noticed about a week after the shot that I was climbing ladders foot over foot again--not stopping and taking steps one at a time (right, then left to same step, repeat, one at a time). I was climbing the ladder like I was a few years ago, AMAZING!!

So for me, Kenalog has been a well needed break from the joint pain. So as the TV says, ask your doctor if this is right for you, if you have lingering pain and all other inflammation markers are normal. (no I am not getting paid by the drug maker!)

Hope everyone is having a great spring!

Debbie C
04-08-2015, 10:55 AM
I think your bike is calling your name Mike ! Its almost that time.Glad the shot helped ,good luck with the rtx.

Jaha
04-09-2015, 01:28 AM
Mike,
I am so glad that your doc had another option for you other than putting you back on steroids. It is great to know that it worked for you and that you are not having so much pain. I wish you all the best with your infusions. Take care!

MikeG-2012
04-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks ladies!!

annekat
04-10-2015, 02:49 AM
I'm glad the shot worked, Mike! Back when I was having lots of 'sinus infections' before I was dx'ed with Wegs, it was allergy season and I was having lots of extra trouble in that area. My ENT gave me a steroid shot in the back of my nasal cavity and it really helped for a long time, like a couple of months. Smaller dosage, I imagine, than what you got, and I didn't have to drop my pants. I don't know the name of the steroid. Anyway, this seems like a good alternative to taking pred every day, and it will wear off gradually, so no need for a tapering schedule. Then, I hope the RTX will take care of it from there.

MikeG-2012
04-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Then, I hope the RTX will take care of it from there.

I hope so too!

MikeG-2012
04-12-2015, 04:08 AM
Update: I had the Kenalog shot on March 23, and I still feel great. I wake up in the morning and don't have to cry my way to the bathroom from the pain in my legs, hands, feet, back, etc.

I can't wait to get the BMW out in a couple weeks! (needs some service after it's 2 years of being parked in my garage)

Pete
04-12-2015, 04:35 AM
I can't wait to get the BMW out in a couple weeks! (needs some service after it's 2 years of being parked in my garage)

Enjoy the ride and be careful. Put the top down on the Boxster for the first time today.