PDA

View Full Version : Mastoid erosion anyone? ?

dawncelest
03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Hello :) i was diagnosed with mastoiditis /small amounts of fluid in partial left aircell in October 2014 when i had a brain MRI after a sudden ,severe onesided nose bleed followed by stabbing temporal headaches. . The headaches persisted and the left side runny nose and nose bone/cheek bone pain started by a couple months later so my rheumatology order at CT of sinuse and facial structure and did an intenal referral to an ENT . CT showed "chronic " mastoiditis of entire left aircell with erosion and sclerosis. . The ENT says it's the relapsing polycondritus but my rhuemy thinks it's a mix of that and the vasculits causing this. Has anyone else had this issue? ??thanks xo

annekat
03-22-2015, 04:02 PM
All I know is I had an MRI, too, because of some eye issues, and the ENT, while explaining the erosion shown in my nasal cavity, just mentioned as if it was no big deal that there was some fluid, as indicated by opacity, in my mastoid cells. He didn't call it mastoiditis, and acted like it wasn't much to be concerned about at this point, that it was probably connected to fluid build up in my middle ears, caused by Wegener's. I have no other conditions that I know of. I'll have to ask him about it again next time I see him. Sorry not to be of more help.

drz
03-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Hello :) i was diagnosed with mastoiditis /small amounts of fluid in partial left aircell in October 2014 when i had a brain MRI after a sudden ,severe onesided nose bleed followed by stabbing temporal headaches. . The headaches persisted and the left side runny nose and nose bone/cheek bone pain started by a couple months later so my rheumatology order at CT of sinuse and facial structure and did an intenal referral to an ENT . CT showed "chronic " mastoiditis of entire left aircell with erosion and sclerosis. . The ENT says it's the relapsing polycondritus but my rhuemy thinks it's a mix of that and the vasculits causing this. Has anyone else had this issue? ??thanks xo

I had mastoiditis many years ago when I had sinus infections and allergies but wasn't diagnosed with Wegs yet and don't know if it was related at all. I did have a chronic recurrent cholesteatoma that was surgically removed several times and it grew into my mastoid causing mastoiditis and this required an operation to remove it and part of the mastoid bone. It still kept growing back but was easier then to remove without any extensive surgery.

greenjeep
03-31-2015, 02:28 PM
My whole journey began with mastoiditis. I had completely full mastoiditis a on both sides. I don't think it has been chronic and I don't know if there was any erosion. But the mastoids are just part of the sinus complex. They are all connected.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

annekat
04-01-2015, 01:44 AM
My whole journey began with mastoiditis. I had completely full mastoiditis a on both sides. I don't think it has been chronic and I don't know if there was any erosion. But the mastoids are just part of the sinus complex. They are all connected.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda. My journey began with severe, antibiotic resistant ear infections on both sides. After the ENT finally killed it off with a big gun antibiotic, Levaquin, he was still concerned about the possibility of mastoiditis, because the infection had been so severe and hard to treat. He said mastoiditis can lead to meningitis and is therefore life-threatening. So he had me go in for IV infusions, for five days in a row, of another big antibiotic, and I believe the brand name was Rocephin. It was kind of expensive for me, with the copay. It was really a process for me getting over the ear infections and the repercussions lasted for weeks with lots of sinus related stuff and coughing. This was 2.5 years before anyone mentioned Wegs. Same old story. And now he tells me there's fluid in my mastoids but doesn't seem concerned. There is no infection going on. I'm doing OK.