PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D question

im so blessed
03-12-2015, 05:11 AM
I had my level checked beginning of February. It was 23. Dr put me on 8,000 iu of the D3.(cholecalciferol) I've been taking it daily for 6 weeks now. How soon should i see a difference in my counts? Also wondering what difference it has made in how you feel? Thankyou :)

Debbie C
03-12-2015, 09:00 AM
You will probably see a change in it next time you get your bloodwork. Vit d comes from the sun and it helps the bones. It is probably so low because of this winter. I generally take 2000 iu a day and its been in the 50's until last month it spiked to 87 so I haven't taken any in a couple of days. Anything over 100 is considered toxic.

annekat
03-12-2015, 01:35 PM
You will probably see a change in it next time you get your bloodwork. Vit d comes from the sun and it helps the bones. It is probably so low because of this winter. I generally take 2000 iu a day and its been in the 50's until last month it spiked to 87 so I haven't taken any in a couple of days. Anything over 100 is considered toxic. This is something I need to learn more about. I also take 2000 iu a day of Vit D3, along with 2000mg. of Calcium. Looking at my latest labs, it doesn't look like my Vit D level is being tested. The amounts I take are based on when it was tested by my pcp (a PA), several years ago. She told me I should take that much for the rest of my life, because of the level I tested at and because I showed osteopenia in my spine at my last bone density screening. That was before I ever took a lot of prednisone, too. So I guess some things need some attention.

vdub
03-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Just something to be aware of.... Vitamin D can be toxic. Its called hypervitaminosis-D.

Many people think vitamins are harmless and they can take as much as the want, but that's not necessarily the case. I know of some people who take 10,000 IU's daily as a matter of course, but I don't necessarily think its good for them because they are healthy to begin with. We, of course, aren't healthy, so our docs put us on what our bodies need or, at least, what the blood tests say we need. I'm on 5,000 IU's.

But, at any rate, just file that bit of info in the back of your mind....
Hypervitaminosis D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_D)

Debbie C
03-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Yea Anne, I would ask your dr. to add that to your monthly test.Especially with the warmer weather you may not need as much...you to vdub !

vdub
03-13-2015, 04:42 AM
Yeap, mine is checked every month. Somehow the vit d stuff is tied to my pit. I probably used to know the connection, but can't remember it now. At any rate, my endo keeps pretty close tabs on my blood work.

annekat
03-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Yea Anne, I would ask your dr. to add that to your monthly test.Especially with the warmer weather you may not need as much...you to vdub ! My doc is pretty stubborn and might not do it if he doesn't feel it is WG related. But it won't hurt to ask. Otherwise, I'm overdue to see my PA and will mention it, though I'm pretty sure she will do it without being asked.

drz
03-13-2015, 08:26 AM
This is something I need to learn more about. I also take 2000 iu a day of Vit D3, along with 2000mg. of Calcium. Looking at my latest labs, it doesn't look like my Vit D level is being tested. The amounts I take are based on when it was tested by my pcp (a PA), several years ago. She told me I should take that much for the rest of my life, because of the level I tested at and because I showed osteopenia in my spine at my last bone density screening. That was before I ever took a lot of prednisone, too. So I guess some things need some attention.

I take the same dosages and have only had the Vitamin D level checked a couple times and it was fine. I don't think it is the kind of thing that needs to be check very often for most of us as long as our dosages and symptoms seem stable.

Debbie C
03-13-2015, 01:12 PM
I didn't think so either,drz. Mine was always about in the middle at 50's but then it spiked 30 points in 3 weeks in the middle of winter ??? I don't know if my sed rate and crp being elevated has anything to do with it but I don't see why that would effect that.