PDA

View Full Version : Too Early for "Wow?"

Sangye
11-19-2009, 05:48 AM
I finished the rituxan 3 weeks ago, and I think it must be kicking in. I've been feeling stronger the past week or so and no terrible joint pain! On Saturday I was able to take my dogs for a 10 minute walk/mosey. (Dunno if you folks outside the US know what a mosey is, but it's sloooow.) I was shocked to find that I was fine afterwards. On Monday I exercised in the pool-- super tired after, but still okay. And today I took the dogs out again! That's more exercise than I've had in the last 6 months combined. (That'd be funny if it weren't true :cool:)

I've had so many setbacks and complications that knocked me back down in the hole, so I'm a little nervous to say Yippee. So I'll say it like this: Yippee!! (Don't wanna wake up the Wegs police....) ;)

elephant
11-19-2009, 06:23 AM
That's great Sangye! I like your little yippie. You kinda feel like your on egg shells with WG. This time it is going to work! Really!:D

Jack
11-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Hope it's the light at the end of the tunnel Sangye! :)

(It's your own fault for being fussy about your nice, yummy drugs. ;) )

Sangye
11-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train!

And hey, I was the one asking to increase my Cellcept back in Spring, when I thought the flare was just starting. Did anyone listen to me? Noooooooo....:D

Cindy
11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Sangye,
What dose of Cellcept were you on?
And congrats on the doggie walking :D
Maybe we can go for a walk together some time!

Sangye
11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
LOL-- Yeah, like you start walking to Maryland from California. Then I'll meet you at the end of my driveway. That'll be a good workout for both of us! :D

I was on 2,000 mg a day for about 1.5 years. That wasn't enough to get me into remission, but it made my blood work look peachy. We raised it to 3,000 mg in June, but it was too late to stop the flare that had started.

If I have to go back on an immune-suppressant, my Wegs doc thinks 3,000 mg Cellcept would be best for me. I do, too.

Cindy
11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Ooopps! I did not notice the states! It would be a bit of a walk. Could I hold that bunny if I did it?

Sangye
11-19-2009, 01:01 PM
No bunny...I only have 2 dogs and a cockatiel. But they all love to be held. One of Patch's nicknames is Bunny Boy, because he's so soft and incredibly snuggly. :)

snooz23
11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Great Sangye....I'm sure it feels so nice to get out and moving a bit without having the extreme exhaustion at every step. I hope it continues on for you....

Luce
11-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Yay Sangye, I know this is a big achievement for you and huge leap forward in your recovery.

I'm the bunny owner and if you walk your dogs all the way to England then you're more than welcome to have a bunny cuddle, and a cup of tea, and a nice dinner, and a bath, and a bed for the night and probably your name in the Guinness Boook of World Records for "Furthest distance walked on water".

Hope everyone's well - still wedding planning so apologies again for only being a part-time weggie.

Luce

PS: I'm currently on 1500mg of Cellcept and compared to other drugs I love it!

coffeelover
11-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Think Positive Sangye! Remeber a positive attitude is the key to success!

Keep walking those dogs.....I walk mine just about every morning. Love the fresh air and the dogs love me!
Lisa

Doug
11-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I should get a dog, too. Ludwig is a very lazy cat who get hysterical if I take him outside for any reason. (Conversation with neighbor: NEIGHBOR - "Why were you killing a cat this morning? I heard it half a block away!" ME - "Oh, that was Ludwig! I was taking him to the care center.":D

elephant
11-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Dogs are great! In a year or two, will get another pooch. I really miss mine. Dogs are good for our health too!

Doug
11-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, elephant, I confess to liking their relatively uncomplicated ways, their sweetness, their lovely eyes and cute butts. Don't get me wrong on the "cute butts" comment, but take a look sometime: they have little swirls in their hair on both sides, making for a very smart look, I think, cute as I put it. Cat butts fall short on the cuteness scale, so the purring makes up for the disability they have for having less cute butts. Um. Yes! :):D

p.s. I just noticed this thread has nothing to do with pets, but is almost all about them because we strayed from "walking the dog". Ooops!

Sangye
11-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I had to go back to JHU today for a couple appointments. I had to wake up at 5am, drive 2 hrs to get there, then had to do a fair amount of walking and 8 trips in the shuttle (3 very high steps to get in/out) before driving back home (I drove myself). I'm totally worn out-- just got up from a 3 hour nap-- but not in mind-bending pain! :):)

elephant
11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Doug dogs have cute everything about them, really. Cats have a cute face and nice little MEOW! Sangye, after taking a three hour nap do you sleep at night? I usually can't sleep until like 2-3am. But I love naps...:)

Sangye
11-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I've never been a napper. In my early days with Wegs I had to sleep whenever I could because I was so sick, exhausted and my nights were messed up due to pred and severe pain. Now I only nap when I'm wiped out or feeling like the Wegs is a little more active. It's usually non-negotiable. If I don't, I'll get sick or hurt myself by falling, etc....

Sangye
11-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Doug? You okay?

Jack
11-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I had to go back to JHU today for a couple appointments. I had to wake up at 5am, drive 2 hrs to get there, then had to do a fair amount of walking and 8 trips in the shuttle (3 very high steps to get in/out) before driving back home (I drove myself). I'm totally worn out-- just got up from a 3 hour nap-- but not in mind-bending pain! :):)
I feel so lucky living on the edge of a major city. Lots of hospitals everywhere, GP at the end of my road and my main clinic only 30 minutes away. My main worry is finding convenient parking!

BARON
11-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi Jack i have just been confirmed with swine flu so D has been keeping me up to date with forum we applied for a blue bade for the car for her and got it also road tax give it a go might help with parking

Jack
11-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear you have swine flu! :eek: I had my jab this morning so I live in hope that I'll miss it.

Already got the car, car tax and blue badge. The problem is that the hospitals here have strict parking policies and have recently remarked their parking bays to make them tidier (but fewer!). All the other roads are marked up so that you can't even park with the blue badge. I can't walk very far so if I don't get a space near the door its a problem. Also, some of the hospitals I visit are so big! Lots of walking involved and I don't usually have anyone to help me with a hospital wheelchair.

Nothing to complain about considering the journey some people have to make.

Sangye
11-22-2009, 01:36 AM
What's the car tax?

BARON
11-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Sorry Sangye road tax

Sangye
11-22-2009, 01:54 AM
What's the road tax? :D

BARON
11-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Sangye it's what you have to pay in england to have your car on the public roads hope that helps

Jack
11-22-2009, 03:13 AM
To use a car on the roads in the UK you need -

A driving licence.

Insurance.

An anual MOT if the car is over 3 years old - this is an inspection of the car to check that it is in good condition.

Road Fund Licence (car tax) - this is based on the age of the vehicle and its fuel consumption and needs renewing each year. Road tax (http://www.companycartaxguide.co.uk/roadtax.htm)

This information is all stored on a central data base and the police use automatic cameras to check your registration number against the details to make sure that you are legal. If not, they can tow your car on the spot.

If you have a medical condition that has a big impact on your ability to get around you are entitled to an allowance sufficient to pay for the lease of a small car and all its running costs. You can top this up with your own lump sum payment to lease bigger cars. I am lucky (?) enough to qualify for this as it is one of the few benefits that are not income dependant.

Cindy
11-22-2009, 03:53 AM
Ok Doug, that was pretty funny! And I have to agree that cats do not have "cute behinds" but (ha-ha) I have never looked at a dog's backside in that way: I will try to be more observant :p

PS - I am a nap lover! 30-40 minutes I am feel re-energized.

Sangye
11-22-2009, 04:09 AM
If you have a medical condition that has a big impact on your ability to get around you are entitled to an allowance sufficient to pay for the lease of a small car and all its running costs. You can top this up with your own lump sum payment to lease bigger cars.
You have GOT to be kidding. If I hear one complaint about the NHS from any of you guys, watch out.

Jack
11-22-2009, 05:28 AM
I was pretty happy when I discovered it, its the only thing I can claim from the state apart from my NHS provision. Everything else is means tested so mainly goes to children, the elderly and poor. It is not a scheme that is that well advirtised for some reason. ;)

Doug
11-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Of course not. If people knew about it...~! Sounds like a pretty good benefit. In the US, each state has its own taxing scheme for vehicle registration and taxation, which are done on an annual basis. Unlike Europe, where engine displacement and fuel efficiency are rewarded with lower taxes, the more you pay for a car (in my state) the more you pay in taxes as it's all based on property value. There is no break for people with disabilities, unlike the UK, and they pay the same tax as everyone else. The special plates for the vehicle, however, are no additional cost over regular plates, though a person has to provide a doctor's statement on their disability and its permanence before the license plates for the vehicle can be obtained. The blue tags you hang from the mirror just require a doctor's statement to the effect you can't walk a certain distance (200 ft., I think it is), a little paperwork (one sheet with basic information). They are good for two years in my state. To my best knowledge, all states have their own requirements, one of the tedious things about the USA: we fought a Civil War over slavery, but the rights of states to pass laws on most issues other than national security and stuff like that was a secondary issue. Still is! :confused::(