PDA

View Full Version : Got The OK To Stop Pred But...

TOBEY32
03-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I've been on 25mg Imuran and 2.5 Pred for the last 6 months.
Had my twice-a-year appt w/ the kidney doc, who said if I really wanted I could try going off the Pred, but suggested I (always) remain on the Imuran.
Told him I wanted off Pred because I wanted to lose some of the excess fat/bulges/rolls since taking it - even making the bags under my eyes twice as large. He said he didn't think any excess weight was caused by the Pred, and asked if I exercised regularly. I didn't want to debate anything w/ him, but I was NEVER like this before (from 170 to 190 after Pred). I know I should be doing it for the medical issues caused by Pred, not what's in the mirror, but what can I say.
Haven't forsaken Pred yet. As I've said before, I know it's up to me.
Hope everyone is well...

David

drz
03-04-2015, 11:06 AM
I've been on 25mg Imuran and 2.5 Pred for the last 6 months.
Had my twice-a-year appt w/ the kidney doc, who said if I really wanted I could try going off the Pred, but suggested I (always) remain on the Imuran.
Told him I wanted off Pred because I wanted to lose some of the excess fat/bulges/rolls since taking it - even making the bags under my eyes twice as large. He said he didn't think any excess weight was caused by the Pred, and asked if I exercised regularly. I didn't want to debate anything w/ him, but I was NEVER like this before (from 170 to 190 after Pred). I know I should be doing it for the medical issues caused by Pred, not what's in the mirror, but what can I say.
Haven't forsaken Pred yet. As I've said before, I know it's up to me.
Hope everyone is well...

David

My doctors also say once your pred taper gets down to 5 mg or less its side effects and influence should be much less but it doesn't mean they are none existent. It tripled the amount of insulin I require to manage my blood glucose levels even at the lower dosage of 5 mg.

My bags under the eyes are most likely a side effect of the moon face Pred caused years ago when I was on the high dosages of Pred and I doubt they will ever disappear even if I went off pred altogether. If I was rich I might be able to get them removed with plastic surgery or botox treatment

Debbie C
03-04-2015, 01:02 PM
That's good news David..hope all goes well with the taper. I think even at that low of dose you need to go slow.

Jaha
03-04-2015, 02:55 PM
David,
Happy to hear that you are doing so well, that's very good news. Just take the taper slow and soon you can kiss that drug goodbye. Best wishes to you for an successful taper.:smile1:

annekat
03-05-2015, 04:58 AM
Nice to hear from you, David, and glad to hear you are doing well. I'd love to be down to 2.5 pred, not because it affects me all that much, but just because I know pred is not that great for us and I'd like to know how I'd feel without it, or with that low a dose. If you think you can taper off it altogether, go for it! I would take it slow, since the lower your current dose, the higher a percentage you'll be dropping with a given amount of taper. I'm guessing 1/2mg. at a time might be a starting point to consider, but everyone is different, and I haven't been through this myself yet. A lot might depends on your daily obligations such as work or other commitments, it seems to me. I think people who are retired and able to stay home might be more able to ride out any negative effects of the pred taper, which might last a few days or more, from what I've heard.

BookNut
03-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Can't believe your doctor was skeptical about pred causing weight gain. It is one of the most common side effects. Sometimes doctors amaze me. Good luck with getting off prednisone.

annekat
03-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Can't believe your doctor was skeptical about pred causing weight gain. It is one of the most common side effects. Sometimes doctors amaze me. Good luck with getting off prednisone. Me, too! I'm guessing that pred is a very commonly prescribed drug, and can't believe docs wouldn't know about this. The only case where I might understand it is when a doc only prescribes short runs of pred that are tapered off in 10 days or 2 weeks. I used to get those for sinus infections, before WG dx, and never got moon face or weight gain or any of that. Long term, steady use of pred, starting with high doses, is very different indeed, and I still think all docs should know about it.