PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture and wegeners

Terri
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Just wanting to get some feed back?
A friend of mine has thyroid problems and acupuncture (sp) has worked tremendously for her. Was wondering if anybody has had experience with this?
Thanks for any replys.

Sangye
11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Acupuncture is great for Weggies. Just make sure they don't deliberately stimulate the immune system. That'll fire up the Wegs. Tell them to go very slowly with a treatment plan and do much less than they would with a non-Weggie.

I had an awesome acupuncture physician (hard to find) in Arizona. He knew to just "nudge" things. I went to a good acupuncturist here in Maryland, and told her about the immune business. She nodded as if she agreed, then proceeded to do a full-blown mega-immune-boosting treatment. Within an hour I spiked a fever that wouldn't break. I wound up in the hospital for a week the very next day, with lungs hemorrhaging. I had no idea what she was doing-- I just trusted her to respect what I had warned her about. I really miss my doc in AZ. I don't have one here and I can feel it. :(

snooz23
11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I have done a few sessions of acupuncture in the last few weeks. Have been trying to address my ears and all the ringing, buzzing and also just general blood flow (my circulation is bad) and she says me balance is completely off. I have also mentioned all the issue w/ my thrush...she looks at my tongue each session and makes the plan. It seems to be pretty similar each time just a couple needle moves. It is also extremely relaxing and calming to me. I don't think it is helping that much symptom wise (maybe it is too early to tell) and I surely hope I am not activating or disturbing the WG. She is aware that I am trying to suppress the immune system not active it.

Sangye
11-18-2009, 03:09 AM
It can be really difficult to treat us. My AZ acupuncturist said every session was trial and error. (And he had training from Chinese and Tibetan masters plus 30 yrs of experience!) He said it was impossible to sort out what imbalances were from the disease, the damage or the drugs. Even so, he helped me greatly.

It may not help your Wegs symptoms, but the fact that it's so relaxing for you says that it's doing something good.

Martin Thomas
11-18-2009, 10:10 PM
I've just had 9 sessions using 3 needles in each hand/wrist to help with my respiratory and sinus issues. I agree it's incredibly relaxing (I often fell asleep!) and I'd say I've gained some benefit from it.