PDA

View Full Version : Atrial Fibrilation - Heart Troubles

danny
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone.
Does anyone have an heart rythum / arythmia issues with Wegners? I have had bouts of Atrial Fibrilation (AF - irregular heart rhythum than can be serious) every now and then and see a cardiologist for it. I did some reading and saw that Methotrixate (I take 30mg per week) can cause irregular heart rhythums. The problem is I need to take asprin to thin my blood for the danger of the irregular rhythum (potential for clots etc) but some say you shouldnt take asprin with Methytrixate (although my doctors say its OK...which sounds odd to me). My rhymetologist says the AF is not related to Wegners but Im not so sure. Loving this support forum - thanks to everyone for info on my tingling feet :):)

elephant
11-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Danny, I see a Cardiologist because I had heart palpitations and chest pain. The did a EKG, Stress test ( walked on the treadmill) then they took pictures of my heart (echocardiogram). It was due to the medicines that I'm on and they treat it with a beta blocker ( atenenol). Wegeners can effect the heart, but it is rare. When someone had been diagnosed with AF they have to be on blood thinners so that they don't throw a clot. I'm sure you doctor has gone over this with you. The tingling could be due to medicines or wegeners disease. Does your Rhuemy specialize in Wegeners Disease? Need to talk with your Doc. I know there are people on this forum who can help you too. Again this is a great place. :)

Jack
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I was taking Atenolol for this condition too and it was very effective, but I am trying without it again at the moment due to my low(ish) blood pressure.

elephant
11-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Jack, I take 12.5 mg of Atenenol. I use to take 25 mg but my blood pressure dropped and so I cut it in half and I've been on it for many years. Try cutting the pill in half, if you take 25mg. Of course talk with your physician first. I tend to play doctor on myself since I'm a Nurse.

danny
11-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi elephant - what medications caused the AF do you know - the methitrixate?

elephant
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Danny, I looked up methotrexate one of the side affects is irregular heart beat. Many of these side effects are rare. Atrial Fib ( AF) is caused by many factors- heart disease, high blood pressure, medicines, born with a defect in the heart, caffeine and recreational drugs. Wegeners disease can cause AF, but rare. Remember, I am only a Registered Nurse and I do have a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics's. So my medical backround is limited. What does your Cardiologist say?

Jack
11-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, I've put myself back on the Atenolol. My heart was pounding away and missing beats this morning - scary stuff! It has not done that for years.

elephant
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Jack, that is exactly what happened to me. So that's why I take 12.5 mg of Atenenol. I have two extra Blood pressure pills on hand if my blood pressure goes really high. Otherwise my blood pressure has been good these days. I spoke with my Cardiologist about the palpitations and feeling like skipped heart beats. She stated that medicines and other factors can cause it. She told me don't be alarmed, they treat it with a beta blocker (atenenol). Anyways if I go two days without my Atenenol my heart starts to pound too. So I will be staying on Atenenol for the rest of my life.:D

jola57
11-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Jack and elephant, I do not take anything for heart or blood pressure, my EKG was fine and my stress test years ago was fine too, but I do get palpitations, racing heart and PVC. They tell me its not unusual with the meds I take. Some days are worse than others. Recently I get stabbing pains in my heart region more on the left side which is probably pericardiatis either due to the wegs or meds. A happy bunch aren't we.

elephant
11-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi Jolanta, Some cardiologist put people on a low dose of a beta blocker and see how well they do. Have to keep a close eye on your blood pressure. I have three blood pressure machines at home. I take my blood pressure twice a day. :D

jola57
11-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I just take mine at the drug store, we have an ancient one and my hubby checks me out sometimes. It varies wildly from 108/56 to 168/92 (that one was only once) but mostly quite normal 135/65. So I don't think I am a candidate for meds as yet:D