PDA

View Full Version : Ghee

spiritscript
02-08-2015, 05:26 AM
Okay, I have NEVER (and will NEVER) be a health freak! Please note, I am NOT judging anyone or telling anyone what to do. We are all different. BUT, since my WG is so bad that it caused a nasal perforation, I can no longer use ANYTHING with Saline/Salt! It BURNS even more! Anyway, on a (so not me) whim I came across this online, on some WG medical site; I forget where. :(

I bought this because I HAVE to find something I can use! So far, it does help, but it DOES take time and is not a cure! But at least it helps soothe the inside of my nose and reduces crusting and bleeding. It's 20 dollars and no shipping fee but it would last a LONG time! It's called "GHEE" Just put it INSIDE your nose. It's SAFE!

Amazon.com : PRIMALFAT Coconut Ghee 14.2 oz, Virgin & Certified Organic - Pure Indian Foods(R) Brand : Baking And Cooking Ghee : Grocery & Gourmet Food (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLFFV1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

http://cdn3.volusion.com/vgptb.avxva/v/vspfiles/photos/COG-2.jpg?1385193137

Pete
02-08-2015, 06:21 AM
I'm familiar with coconut oil, but not with ghee. How do you apply it? Swab it inside your nose or put it into a warm water rinse?

spiritscript
02-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Hi Pete...

I just get a small spoon and put a little in a cup to heat a little in the microwave. Then I just put a Qtip in the cup to soak it with the GHEE butter and swab the inside of my nose.

I'm familiar with coconut oil, but not with ghee. How do you apply it? Swab it inside your nose or put it into a warm water rinse?

mrtmeo
02-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Coconut oil is antimicrobial and especially, antifungal properties.
Interesting way to use it.
Does baking soda burn?

Jayne 14
02-08-2015, 07:55 AM
I put Vaseline up inside my nose , anything that keeps it moist I find helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mishb
02-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Ghee is very good for the nose.

Below is an old thread started by Phil and Sangye advised about Vaseline and Ghee

http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/207-sinus-nasal-irrigation.html

Jayne 14
02-09-2015, 01:09 AM
Thanks Mishb & everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

annekat
02-09-2015, 01:37 AM
The coconut ghee looks and sounds like good stuff. Thanks for the old nostalgic link, Michelle, which clarifies (no pun intended) what ghee is, and warns against Vaseline in the nose. I've used something called Ayr, which is aloe vera based, recommended by my ENT, but I don't have a current tube to see what else is in it.

Spirit, I'm sorry you get the burning from nasal irrigation. I had a nasal perforation early on, resulting in saddle nose, and it has all progressed since then to where my entire septum has eroded away along with the thin bones that distinguish the sinuses from the nasal cavity. While that all sounds awful, my tissues are all well healed, I am not subject to infections, there is no current Wegs activity there, and I have never felt any pain with saline irrigation at any stage of this. Everyone is different. I'm wondering, when you rinse, do you use only salt or do you have some baking soda mixed in with it, as Blake mentioned, which will minimize the harshness that could cause pain. People either use the prepared packets or mix up their own, and the recommended proportions vary. The more baking soda, the milder, but the more salt, the more it will work on loosening the crusts, I've heard. My ENT's nurse recommended I think about one third or one fourth salt and the rest baking soda, and that seems to work for me. I just eyeball it each time I mix some up. There are plenty of threads on here about saline irrigation, should you want to do a search.

Pete
02-09-2015, 03:00 AM
I agree with Anne,

I use the prepared packets (a package of 100 costs about US$10 at the local pharmacy). I also make sure that the distilled water I use is at least at room temperature. That way, I avoid the "ice cream" headache that goes with cold in the sinuses.

annekat
02-09-2015, 06:03 AM
I agree with Anne,

I use the prepared packets (a package of 100 costs about US$10 at the local pharmacy). I also make sure that the distilled water I use is at least at room temperature. That way, I avoid the "ice cream" headache that goes with cold in the sinuses. Oh, Pete, i heat mine up in the microwave to a comfortable warm temperature, just being careful it isn't hot, which could burn the delicate tissues. Time in the zapper will vary according to its power, the temp of the water in the room, etc. Seems to me the warmer water helps to loosen things up.

Debbie C
02-09-2015, 09:47 AM
I use organic coconut oil ( not actually in oil ,it's like this stuff ) for cooking eggs and other things. I wonder if it can be used the same way. I got mine in a jar at the pharmacy. I know you can take some and swish it in your mouth and is supposed to be good for gums and teeth !

spiritscript
02-10-2015, 05:44 AM
Yes, it can.

I use organic coconut oil ( not actually in oil ,it's like this stuff ) for cooking eggs and other things. I wonder if it can be used the same way. I got mine in a jar at the pharmacy. I know you can take some and swish it in your mouth and is supposed to be good for gums and teeth !

Alysia
02-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Ghee is very good for the nose.

Below is an old thread started by Phil and Sangye advised about Vaseline and Ghee

http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/207-sinus-nasal-irrigation.html

thanks for the link Michelle. how can we discuss nose irrigation without Phil ???
I was honored to see him "in action" with his water pike irrigating.
tears again....