PDA

View Full Version : how things have changed

Pierre42
02-03-2015, 10:38 PM
A few years ago I was in hospital recovering after two weeks in an induced coma due to wegeners, bleeding into my lungs, etc.

On regaining consciousness I was so weak I couldn't lift my arm to touch my face.

After two weeks of hard work I was able to zombie-shuffle myself out of hospital and back into some semblance of a normal life.

Last weekend I participated in a charity ride from midnight to dawn (with two thousand eight hundred and change other people). :thumbsup:

mishb
02-04-2015, 12:21 AM
That certainly is an awesome effort Pierre.

A few people I know, also did that ride.

Well done

renidrag
02-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Congratulations on the ride Pierre. So nice to hear success stories here.
Dale

Jaha
02-04-2015, 02:20 AM
That is so great to hear that you have come so far. Congratulations and keep up the good recovery!

annekat
02-04-2015, 04:46 AM
Congrats, Pierre! Was this motorcycles or bicycles? I can't enlarge the map enough to get a clue. Either way, good job!

vdub
02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
That's great!

Each Aug, my endo sponsors a walk/run event. I have always attended, had fun and took pictures for her, but not done the walk.

I have 2 goals this year. First, I want to drive my MG to the event and, second, I want to do the 3 mile walk.

I have been restoring my MG for the past 2 years. I bought it in 1971, then Vietnam came along and I put it in storage... For 38 years. I'm getting closer to finishing. pictures here (http://www.Wasem.com/mg) Jack is the person who convinced me to try and restore it. I wish he could have seen it done. We had many PM's exchanged about MG's. He loved them, too.

renidrag
02-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Awesome,vdub, was wondering just the other day how the MG was coming along. Best to you. I still walk a mile every three days but don't think the lungs would allow a three mile walk.
Dale

Jaha
02-05-2015, 03:00 AM
Those are some great goals to have. The MG you are restoring is that what they call a midget car? The pictures look like you have come a long way on it. I'm so glad that you are doing so well.

mrtmeo
02-05-2015, 04:11 AM
That gives me hope that things do get better!

vdub
02-05-2015, 05:32 AM
slight hi-jack...

The MG you are restoring is that what they call a midget car?
It is an A model. They were made form '55 to '62 and replaced the Midget. I also have an 1967 MGB GT (http://wasem.com/mgbgt/)
The MGA will go to my daughter and the GT to my son. I totally owe Jack for convincing me I could restore these. It is a slow process, because I only work on them when I feel well enough and I don't do much at a time.

sorry for the hi-jack, Pierre -- back to subject.

The 3 mile walk is around a lake, so the trail is perfectly level and paved. It will be hard, but I'm determined to do it this year. I will probably pay for it the next few days after the walk.

Pete
02-05-2015, 05:51 AM
The 3 mile walk is around a lake, so the trail is perfectly level and paved. It will be hard, but I'm determined to do it this year. I will probably pay for it the next few days after the walk.

Are you starting to get in shape for this? Do a little each day, and you should be able to do it comfortably.

spiritscript
02-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Being in the hospital is hard! :( Hope you're doing better!

A few years ago I was in hospital recovering after two weeks in an induced coma due to wegeners, bleeding into my lungs, etc.

On regaining consciousness I was so weak I couldn't lift my arm to touch my face.

After two weeks of hard work I was able to zombie-shuffle myself out of hospital and back into some semblance of a normal life.

Last weekend I participated in a charity ride from midnight to dawn (with two thousand eight hundred and change other people). :thumbsup:

Pierre42
03-12-2015, 10:15 PM
The Ride was 100% sweat powered foot-cycles.

There was even (at least) two penny-farthings (now there's enthusiasm for ya!)

annekat
03-13-2015, 06:53 AM
The Ride was 100% sweat powered foot-cycles.

There was even (at least) two penny-farthings (now there's enthusiasm for ya!) Glad to hear it! That makes it all the more impressive. BTW, had to google penny-farthings, but had guessed what they were correctly, in advance!

drz
03-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Glad to hear it! That makes it all the more impressive. BTW, had to google penny-farthings, but had guessed what they were correctly, in advance!

I had to look it up too and now we are wiser and and better informed thanks to these posts.

annekat
03-13-2015, 09:16 AM
I had to look it up too and now we are wiser and and better informed thanks to these posts. True. We learn a lot here about Wegs and other things, too. I must have heard the term "penny-farthing" as applied to a bicycle at some time in my life. I don't know how else I could have ever guessed it in advance. It did take a couple minutes, before googling. The forum keeps our minds sharp, too.

Debbie C
03-13-2015, 01:03 PM
That is very impressive Pierre,especially in the middle of the night, I couldn't get a good look at the map either, so how many miles did you do. And thats ALOT of byciclists ( I googled penny-farthing also !) I have seen them before but never knew what they were called, I thought that was just another Aussie expression !

annekat
03-13-2015, 01:38 PM
That is very impressive Pierre,especially in the middle of the night, I couldn't get a good look at the map either, so how many miles did you do. And thats ALOT of byciclists ( I googled penny-farthing also !) I have seen them before but never knew what they were called, I thought that was just another Aussie expression ! It might originally be an English expression. Maybe Pierre could tell us. I'm only guessing that it refers to the size difference between the two wheels, and that a penny and a farthing would be two different sizes. Is that right, or a wild guess? I don't think I've ever seen any English coins in my life, so really don't know and would have to google again to find out.