PDA

View Full Version : LiveStrong Exercise Program at the YMCA

Thinker
01-30-2015, 11:53 AM
I wanted to share my experience and information about the LiveStrong Exercise Program at the YMCA. It's technically a program for cancer survivors but when I explained my disease and that I had just finished up almost 6 months of Cytoxan (chemotherapy) they said I would qualify. So far I have only gone to two sessions, the first was a get aquainted session and today we were baseline tested for strength, flexibility, balance, and cardiovascular/endurance. There is a group of 8 of us, 3 coaches, and we will meet twice per week for an hour and a half for 12 weeks for supervised exercise sessions. It also comes with a free 12 week membership for myself and everyone in my family to the YMCA. So far it seems like an excellent program, and even though no one else has the same exact disease as myself, seems like a good support group. I was happy to find this program as I hope it helps give me the motivation to get back into a regular exercise/walking program. I hope this information can help someone else and I will keep you updated on how the program goes.

Pete
01-30-2015, 01:14 PM
My wife and I get a "Silver Sneakers" program free through our health insurance plan. We go to the local YMCA and use the equipment and facilities there.

Debbie C
01-30-2015, 02:28 PM
My wife and I get a "Silver Sneakers" program free through our health insurance plan. We go to the local YMCA and use the equipment and facilities there.

Hey Pete,I got that also.I started going to a gym 3 times a week for a least a couple of hours.But there are 2 "Y's" in our town and 1 is downtown in a shady area and the other is across town. I may try the second one in the summer since they have a pool there. I just hate having to drive that far. But that Silver Sneakers is great,I guess the normal member rate for this gym is $ 50.00 a month and I go for free !!