PDA

View Full Version : Nausea - Ctx ?

mrtmeo
01-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi just wondering if anyone here has used oral cytoxan and had nausea?

sbeach78
01-26-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes I was on 175mg ctx a day the nausea was just part of it, but I had other prescriptions to combat it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Pete
01-26-2015, 12:36 PM
No nausea problem with ctx. I was told to take it on an empty stomach. My wife is convinced my stomach is made of cast iron. ;-)

MikeG-2012
01-26-2015, 12:39 PM
I was OK when on it too. The first four months were while I was on high dose pred, so things went by SO fast... (-8

mrtmeo
01-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone.
I am not sure if her prednisone would have to be increased or not while on a low dose ctx.
Does anyone know?

Pete
01-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone.
I am not sure if her prednisone would have to be increased or not while on a low dose ctx.
Does anyone know?

I'm guessing that her inflammatory markers would guide pred dosage.

mrtmeo
01-26-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm guessing that her inflammatory markers would guide pred dosage.

Her inflammatory markers are:
Rheumatoid Factor 38 (normal range 1-10)
Sed Rate 25 (normal range 0-20)
C-rp <.5 (normal range 0-.8)

Currently, she is on 5mg prednisone.

annekat
01-26-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure that "low dose" CTX is used much except for when getting used to the drug or when getting off it and reducing it gradually. I think the amount indicated by body weight is considered the therapeutic amount, and that something like 50-75mg/day would be considered sub-therapeutic unless for a very small person, like perhaps a child. However, I know that I was on 100mg. when my weight indicated 125mg, and I did pretty well. So perhaps it would be the same for your mom.

As for nausea with CTX, I think I had some, but not to the point of throwing up. Also some dizziness, I think, and a general feeling of malaise and weakness. But then, I was really sick with Wegs. I split the dose between morning and night, though I've read things since saying not to do that. And the pred did perk me up enough to make me want to eat like there was no tomorrow. When I wasn't eating or at the computer, I was sleeping, A LOT, and under these conditions, I got pretty used to the side effects of CTX within 2 or 3 weeks. later, when I went out in public, there was some wooziness when making my way around, and that, too, got better within a few weeks.

As for whether the docs would want to increase your mom's pred dose with CTX, I guess I'd agree with Pete, and her inflammatory markers don't sound too bad, so maybe they'd leave it as is.

Thinker
01-27-2015, 07:50 AM
I was on oral CTX for five and a half months, started at 150 mg for 7 weeks, then decreased to 100 mg. I did have mild nausea but never did throw up. I took my dose in the morning after breakfast with lots of water. I found that chewing cinnamon gum right afterward helped with the nausea.

mrtmeo
01-28-2015, 04:23 AM
How much water did people drink to flush out the ctx?

Has anyone took ctx for a short course for a flare?

Pete
01-28-2015, 04:33 AM
How much water did people drink to flush out the ctx?

Has anyone took ctx for a short course for a flare?

I drank as much water as I could stand-generally 5-6 16 oz glasses.

I never took a short course of ctx.