PDA

View Full Version : Anyone re-locate to help wg symptoms?

im so blessed
01-17-2015, 07:34 AM
My husband and i were just talking about how scarce wgs is in the western usa. I know drs who recommend moving to arizona to help with things like RA. Just wondering if any of you have ever done this and what ur experience has been. I think climate can make a difference for some things. Long shot maybe...

Dirty Don
01-17-2015, 08:28 AM
I live in AZ, have WG, a mild case. I'm not sure that WG is terribly affected by the weather, but it is easier for me with the drier climate. Things like getting up, stretching, walking, being more active all seem to be made easier by the heat and lack of humidity. Not a medical opinion for sure, but it's working for me. Oh, and I'm treated at Mayo/PHX. Best to you.

Debbie C
01-19-2015, 07:21 AM
I was wanting to move to Fl. ( not only for the beach ) but the weather. I just can not handle the winter anymore. I asked my dr. about if weather can make a difference and like Don said the lack of humidity would help the sinuses and muscle aches plus I live surrounded by trees and that is bad for allergies. Not to mention just the sunshine makes you feel better. I am looking into getting a sublet or a short term lease down there this year. I have to check out the area for good drs. first.

annekat
01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
There may be parts of the west where WG is more common than you think, but populations are less dense and therefore the number of cases may seem fewer. I do hear of a lot more WG cases in Washington, where I am, than in Calfornia, Arizona, etc. I would not doubt that humidity is a factor, although we don't get the same kind of humidity as you do. Our humidity is more in the form of RAIN. We do not get the awful summer humidity that you all do back there. But I do think the cold dampness that is common the rest of the year here could be doing something. I find it irritates my symptoms. Cold, dry air can be irritating, too. I would definitely consider which parts of the west are truly drier and warmer, such as AZ or other parts of the southwestern US. That sounds like it would be a good change for you.

me2
01-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Check a climate before deciding to move. Take a vacation. It seems everyone reacts differently. Dry climates are extremely painful to my sinuses. I could not live in a dry climate. I have a hard time even visiting dry climates.
Cool dampness here in Washington state is ideal for me.

annekat
01-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Check a climate before deciding to move. Take a vacation. It seems everyone reacts differently. Dry climates are extremely painful to my sinuses. I could not live in a dry climate. I have a hard time even visiting dry climates.
Cool dampness here in Washington state is ideal for me. That's interesting, Kirk. I was sort of conjecturing and it may be true for me, too, sometimes. It may be that COOL dampness is OK, but COLD dampness is not so much, for me. I also know that COLD dryness is irritating. Warmth usually seems pretty good. Come to think of it, it's more my throat and bronchii, as in coughing, that seem to be stirred up by these weather conditions, rather than my sinuses, which are gone, but the remaining tissues are well healed and not subject to much irritation. So we are in different boats, in that respect.

drz
01-21-2015, 02:07 AM
I like an average temp with adequate humidity which is our usual summer weather. When it gets cold here the humidity drops and I have more trouble with sinus infections and bronchitis. I got sinus infections every time I visited Phoenix but that might be partly due to the high pollution levels too since Death Valley didn't seem to bother me in the winter time. Too hot really stresses me out. I tolerate too cold better cause i can general dress up enough to stay warm.

The only ideal locations for me don't have good treatment resources near by so i stay where I am.

lag713
01-22-2015, 03:27 AM
I have allergies, asthma, and Raynauds so I would be concerned about the following when considering where to move:

-Bad seasonal allergens?
-Pollution?
-Warm weather?
-Near a vasculitis center?

For now, my job prospects upon completion of my graduate program will dictate where I move. I don't think there is a place without pollution or bad seasonal allergens, with warm weather, near a vasculitis center. I'll just hope to be near a vasculitis center when I find my dream job.