PDA

View Full Version : Colloidal silver

greenjeep
01-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Anyone just go off the grid an use colloidal silver. A friend of mine gave me some and I had never heard of it. The internet makes an impressive case for the stuff. Sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

mrtmeo
01-14-2015, 11:23 AM
I have personally experienced colloidal silver stopping mrsa outbreaks on the skin.
However, mrsa is systemic and cs will not get rid of it systemically unless in very high concentrations which I would not recommend.
20ppm is very safe and effective for some pathogens.

Here is a list of studies comparing effectiveness of cs at different concentrations against pathogens.
Colloidal Silver Bacteriology Study Results: MRSA, VRSA, VRE (http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/biostudies.html)

I use Mesosilver and recommend it.

However, I think iodine kills more pathogens and doesn't destroy intestinal flora like cs does.

JeanMarie
01-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Maybe use a little caution

Colloidal silver: Is it safe or effective? - Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061)

colloidal silver: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-779-colloidal%20silver.aspx?activeingredientid=779&activeingredientname=colloidal%20silver)

Medical uses of silver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver)

mrtmeo
01-19-2015, 09:21 AM
The study data support ionic colloidal silver as a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent against aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, while having a more limited and specific spectrum of activity against fungi.

Spectrum of antimicrobial activity associated with ionic colloidal ... - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23017226)

They also use it in bandages because it works against mrsa wounds.

vdub
01-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Please don't go down the silver colloidal path. You really, seriously want to stay away from home remedies, magic cures, and to-good-to-be-true claims. Stick with your doctor's advice. A good quick test to tell if you have a respected and credible doctor is to ask him/her if they have hospital admitting rights at the local hospitals. If they don't, its a red flag to ask more questions.

As for silver specifically, even the Navy study cited above suggested it didn't work very well.

The FDA labels silver treatments as unsafe and ineffective. The most frequent side-effect of high dose silver treatments is permanent blue skin. So if you think you might tire of smurf jokes, then you should reconsider the use of silver.

me2
01-20-2015, 01:23 AM
I'd keep an open mind about unproven treatments but be aware that you are risking your health and possibly your life.
The FDA is not perfect. They are to a great degree corrupted by the pharmaceutical companies. On the other hand , there are thousands of snake oil 'cures' that do nothing but take peoples money and health. The responsibility for investigation and safety falls on each of us.

Many home remedies are safe and effective and to a great degree are not taught at pharmacy sales school- otherwise known as medical school.

Don't get me wrong. I was almost killed by mis-guided natural medicine. My life has been saved by pharmaceuticals.
My life has also been saved by doing my own thinking and not assuming that any of them can care about my health as much as I do. My University employed , scientist doctor is the one who encouraged me to think for myself.

If you think real highly of conventional medicine then I suggest a read about the story of the discovery of a safe and effective treatment for stomach ulcers that was vilified along with the men who discovered it. It was not even 'alternative medicine' but simply not 'current' dogma. It took years of fighting against medical dogma to get the obvious truth accepted.

There is a great book about this but I can only find this web page at the moment -http://www.jyi.org/issue/delayed-gratification-why-it-took-everybody-so-long-to-acknowledge-that-bacteria-cause-ulcers/

Any illness that has a billion dollar industry currently treating it ( like ulcers did) will meet with massive resistance to a simple and effective cure.

I am open minded about silver but currently the only compelling information I have found about its effectiveness has been topically. Mainstream medicine uses it this way. The jury is still out for me. Although my 'silver jury' has been on vacation for quite some time.

Mainstream medicine vilified chiropractic and acupuncture for years as ineffective and now my insurance covers both.
I have extensive and extreme examples of using both and can attest to their effectiveness for some things.

Edit: I found another article about the H Pylori that has something to teach about doctors- http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/07-dr-drank-broth-gave-ulcer-solved-medical-mystery

vdub
01-20-2015, 06:17 AM
If you think real highly of conventional medicine....
What I think highly of is good independent research by qualified people with studies that are peer reviewed and repeatable.

Personally, I am totally open to new things. My newest interest is marijuana. I've never touched the stuff and not sure I ever will, but I see good science investigating how it can be used. The jury, of course, is still out, but good science and responsible research is what's going to prove the way for the product.

If you have quack-science, that is, research not done by credible institutions or individuals, then beware. That is especially true if the person pushing the science also has a product to sell that cures the problem.

The FDA certainly isn't infallible and I certainly wouldn't put 100% of my trust in them, but, for the moment, its the best we have (at least in the US), so I tend to listen to what they say.

My only advice is that everyone should go by their doctor's orders. And, if you want to explore alternatives, then please make sure the alternative is backed up by good science, multiple studies, and credible institutions. Don't make your issues worse by going down a path that hasn't been fully vetted. And, certainly don't try to convince others to go down that path with you.

greenjeep
01-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Didn't mean to hit a nerve! There is a woman I work with that is trying to get me to use it and found all sorts of stuff she tells me about at work such as "it is a proven cure for aids and Ebola". I haven't done any research, just knew how they use it in chronic wound treatment.
That and my inherent distrust in anything the Feds say. She said the FDA would never approve it because you cannot patent a naturally occurring element.., so they discredit it. I'm no conspiracy theorist but when it comes to the government I wouldn't put it past em.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

vdub
01-20-2015, 10:11 AM
...found all sorts of stuff she tells me about at work such as "it is a proven cure for aids and Ebola"
The really sad part is that some people will believe that stuff and get the alternative treatment in lieu of conventional medicine. Most of the time, not always, they will pay a heavy price.

I had a young cousin who was a very smart kid and had a tremendous future ahead of him. He graduated from college with a computer science degree and worked for MS developing Word. Long story short.... He got an intestinal parasite while overseas. He was young enough that his parents were still influential over him and they convinced him he could cure his situation with all sorts of alternative means -- gluten free, juices, and other concoctions. They tried various alternatives for a year or more. Eventually, the situation worsened, he developed colon cancer, and died at age 27.

An interesting twist to this story is that his mother got the same parasite a couple years ago and was, after the lose of her only son, smart enough to seek more conventional medical treatment. She was cured in just a few weeks.

greenjeep
01-20-2015, 03:17 PM
That's tragic.
But in my case, I take a bucket full of conventional drugs every day. I certainly don't doubt that that is the reason I am alive today. It would also be nice to have a less destructive way to fight infection for instance if I get one.

vdub
01-20-2015, 03:47 PM
I take a bucket full of conventional drugs every day.
Me too.... Very depressing at times. Actually, very depressing most of the time. I take about 17-19 different types of pills a day and two injections. About a third of the pills are for the pituitary (or lack of a pit), a third is for pain and side effects of other pills, and a third are for maintenance or preventive. I get pretty tired of it. I'm sure we all do.