PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Alert!

annekat
01-10-2015, 04:09 AM
OMG, just received my first Allergy Alert of the year by email! I mention it here because I think allergies can trigger flares and it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between the two. The predominant pollens are said to be Cedar/Juniper in my area, and they are at low to medium level. So far I'm not feeling any increased symptoms, but there are quite a few cedar trees on my property and in my neighborhood. This report is taking me by surprise, as it seems a little early! We are not socked in with cold temperatures or snow and ice as is much of the US right now.

MikeG-2012
01-10-2015, 07:09 AM
OMG, just received my first Allergy Alert of the year by email! I mention it here because I think allergies can trigger flares and it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between the two. The predominant pollens are said to be Cedar/Juniper in my area, and they are at low to medium level. So far I'm not feeling any increased symptoms, but there are quite a few cedar trees on my property and in my neighborhood. This report is taking me by surprise, as it seems a little early! We are not socked in with cold temperatures or snow and ice as is much of the US right now.

Maybe the cold dry air is releasing the pollen, etc.?

annekat
01-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Maybe the cold dry air is releasing the pollen, etc.?
Could be. There seem to be two or three different time periods each year when cedar is listed as a pollen factor, and I think they are all in winter and spring. The tree pollen that seems to affect me the most is alder, which should start forming "catkins" pretty soon if it isn't already. Then, my worst allergy is in May and June with grass pollen. However, now that my sinuses and nasal cavity are destroyed, there are much fewer places for irritants to collect, and I should have fewer problems, according to my ENT. Also, taking pred and immunosuppressants should help to suppress allergy symptoms, although I don't think it is absolute.

whatthewhat
01-13-2015, 05:11 AM
I have wondered how much pre-2013 for my daughter was allergies and how much Wegener's, if her Wegener's treatments (meds, nasal rinses, lifestyle changes) also helped her allergies or if it was the Wegener's beast in her airways that led to allergy-like symptoms.

annekat
01-13-2015, 05:32 AM
I have wondered how much pre-2013 for my daughter was allergies and how much Wegener's, if her Wegener's treatments (meds, nasal rinses, lifestyle changes) also helped her allergies or if it was the Wegener's beast in her airways that led to allergy-like symptoms. I've wondered the same thing about myself. I'd always had some allergies, but they suddenly seemed to get a lot worse, and I was suddenly getting ear and sinus infections, which I'd never had before. I was tested and found to allergic to a lot of things, pollens, molds, dust, etc. I took allergy shots for a year and a half or so, I guess. They seemed to be helping. I was on no WG meds except occasional prednisone for sinus infections. When I was dx'ed, it became clear to the docs that I'd had WG the whole time, since fall of 2008. I stopped the shots and started on the WG drugs. My WG doc insists that the WG drugs will help the allergies and I think he's probably right, especially the prednisone, which is used to treat allergies and asthma in some people. And he tells me MTX is used for asthma sometimes. But I do argue with him on this, as I do still feel some seasonal allergies every year. Soon will be the time that will start here, so we will see.

I've often wondered what relationship there could be between allergies and Wegs, since they are both caused by immune system dysfunctions. Not proposing a cause and effect theory, just wondering.

whatthewhat
01-13-2015, 05:43 AM
It seems like a quick jump from an immune system that is so hypervigilant it attacks random outside sources to one that attacks inside sources!