PDA

View Full Version : Herpes - vitamin C

mrtmeo
01-05-2015, 05:22 AM
This is the 4th herpes breakout (cold sore herpes) my mom has had since being immune suppressed.
She was getting the jolting nerve pain near her right lower lung, but now, she had some tiny blister sores on her gums because she wears dentures.
Everytime, I use 4gms vitamin C 1-2 times per day and it is gone within 3 days.

Here is the clinical case where 4gms of vitamin C helped a woman with shingles (herpes zoster).

Administration of Vitamin C in a Patient with Herpes Zoster - A case report - (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3111558/)

Acyclovir never helped at all.

annekat
01-05-2015, 07:55 AM
I've had type 1 herpes (cold sores) all my life. As a young woman, It was suggested by someone that I take 1000mg. Vit. C and 1000mg. lysine every day and I've done it pretty much ever since. It seems to reduce the incidence, although once in awhile I've still gotten a severe outbreak. The weird thing that I don't understand is that since being treated for Wegs, my outbreaks don't flare up as much, that is, they may appear, but they don't get as big or spread as much. Also, I use an herbal preparation that is not even advertised as being for cold sores, but it works on them, nips them in the bud when they appear, if applied several times a day. I'm glad to share the name of this product, but first want to make sure it is still available online, as it is manufactured by a very small company in Oregon run by an elderly couple. I'll check into it, and let me know if you'd like the info. The vitamin C regimen you use sounds very good, too, and I'll try it the next time I get them.

mrtmeo
01-05-2015, 08:32 AM
I would like to point out that herpes (cold sore virus) lives on the nerves and can popup almost anywhere.
The pain is usually sharp or achy with jolts like nerve jolts.
She didn't have any herpes outbreak rash or red dots, just the jolting, achy pain.
The jolting is what a dr said online was due to a virus.
This is how I figured my mom's right side pain might be from the herpes virus and the C worked.
She was originally given vicodin for it, but it didn't do much and the ER drs didn't know what it was.

mrtmeo
01-05-2015, 08:33 AM
I've had type 1 herpes (cold sores) all my life. As a young woman, It was suggested by someone that I take 1000mg. Vit. C and 1000mg. lysine every day and I've done it pretty much ever since. It seems to reduce the incidence, although once in awhile I've still gotten a severe outbreak. The weird thing that I don't understand is that since being treated for Wegs, my outbreaks don't flare up as much, that is, they may appear, but they don't get as big or spread as much. Also, I use an herbal preparation that is not even advertised as being for cold sores, but it works on them, nips them in the bud when they appear, if applied several times a day. I'm glad to share the name of this product, but first want to make sure it is still available online, as it is manufactured by a very small company in Oregon run by an elderly couple. I'll check into it, and let me know if you'd like the info. The vitamin C regimen you use sounds very good, too, and I'll try it the next time I get them.

Yes, please share the herbal formula.

Jayne 14
01-05-2015, 08:44 AM
I've suffered from cold sores quite badly all my life , sometimes every month or so
But since being diagnosed & starting treatment haven't had 1 !!
Thought it was odd , I wondered if the fact I constantly apply Vaseline to my mouth & nose had somehow stopped them ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrtmeo
01-05-2015, 08:49 AM
I've suffered from cold sores quite badly all my life , sometimes every month or so
Thought it was odd , I wondered if the fact I constantly apply Vaseline to my mouth & nose had somehow stopped them ???

It maybe due to being on enuf immune suppressant to block the virus.
My mom can't tolerate the standard dose of mofetil, so she is on only 750mg.
Her nephrologist gave her a range of 750 - 1,000 mg per day for her size and kidney function.
I hope this low of a dose works.

annekat
01-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Well, that fits with my experience! But not with everyone's I've read of. Haven't been constantly applying Vaseline, though. I wondered if the prednisone was reducing the inflammation from the cold sores, so that if I get one it will not get as big and puffy and irritated, or maybe you wouldn't notice it at all in some cases. All speculation! Will share the herbal stuff I mentioned to Blake in the next post.

Jayne 14
01-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I thought it may be the pred
Also since on treatment this is the first summer ever I've not suffered with masses of bites : usually I'm like a pin cushion : and got quite a few huge bites !! This year : none atall
A few benefits of this great disease ?????

annekat
01-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Yes, please share the herbal formula. Here is the link to the stuff, called Oregon Creme: https://www.etsy.com/listing/151470027/all-natural-oregon-creme-new-label-same . There may be other sites to get it from, but I've bought it from this woman before and found her to be very nice; we emailed back and forth a bit. This stuff is marketed as a massage cream and for reduction of muscle aches, etc. But they used to make a cold sore remedy called Dragon Whacker which has been discontinued, but had some of the same herbs in it. I was told Oregon Creme would work for cold sores and have found it to be true. Nice for muscle aches, too, and a little bit goes a long ways! I recommend it.

annekat
01-05-2015, 09:01 AM
I would like to point out that herpes (cold sore virus) lives on the nerves and can popup almost anywhere.
The pain is usually sharp or achy with jolts like nerve jolts.
She didn't have any herpes outbreak rash or red dots, just the jolting, achy pain.
The jolting is what a dr said online was due to a virus.
This is how I figured my mom's right side pain might be from the herpes virus and the C worked.
She was originally given vicodin for it, but it didn't do much and the ER drs didn't know what it was. When I was getting bad outbreaks, the sores would pop up in places like my forehead! If there was a slight injury anywhere, that could be an opening for exposure to the virus, and once it has struck in one place, I found it had a memory for that and might strike again in the very same spot.

mrtmeo
01-05-2015, 09:51 PM
When I was getting bad outbreaks, the sores would pop up in places like my forehead! If there was a slight injury anywhere, that could be an opening for exposure to the virus, and once it has struck in one place, I found it had a memory for that and might strike again in the very same spot.

Yes, the virus prefers that weak link.
The nerves that are weaker.
Cayenne pepper and lysine slow down the virus and can help, but vitamin C stops it.
My mom hates cayenne.