PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Peter Merkel Philadelphia

im so blessed
01-01-2015, 02:40 AM
Ive been recently looking into a weggie dr in pa. Ive seen a regular ruematologists my whole sickness (13 years) and recently she moved. And after reading so much about finding a doc who specializes in wegeners i came across dr Merkel. It would be a much further drive that hershey where i go now...is it worth it? Is this dr nice?

blu4runner
01-01-2015, 03:24 AM
Definitely worth the trip. Great DR very kind and caring and a lead in research for this disease. I am please to call him my DR

me2
01-01-2015, 04:40 AM
I met Dr Merkel at a WG symposium in Kansas city. His presentations were great and he is one of the funniest guys you will ever meet. He has been doing this a long time at the top levels.

annekat
01-01-2015, 05:48 AM
I met Dr Merkel at a WG symposium in Kansas city. His presentations were great and he is one of the funniest guys you will ever meet. He has been doing this a long time at the top levels. Funny counts for a lot! In addition to expertise and attention to detail, of course. My present doctor is definitely not funny! They say laughter is the best medicine.

Pete
01-01-2015, 06:36 AM
From what I've learned, Dr Merckel is one of the best. I'd recommend seeing him .

renidrag
01-01-2015, 08:25 AM
He left Boston Med just before my appointment with him. Yes, he is a leader in the field. I am very happy with my Doctor Monach, he worked with Merkel.
Dale

annekat
01-01-2015, 10:10 AM
He left Boston Med just before my appointment with him. Yes, he is a leader in the field. I am very happy with my Doctor Monach, he worked with Merkel.
Dale Aww, bad timing! But I'm glad you ended up with one you really like. I wish we had as many top docs to choose from here on the west coast.

me2
01-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Good point Anne. As Dr Specks told me in the hallway at one of the symposiums - "You live on the wrong coast to have vasculitus. You should have heart disease instead." hahaha I hadn't realized that regions had specialty until he pointed it out. Still, there are some great docs sprinkled all over now days.

Aneinu
01-16-2019, 01:18 PM
We are seeing Dr merkel tomorrow, God willing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

me2
01-16-2019, 04:04 PM
That is good news. Write down all of your questions for him. Saves precious time and also insures you get ALL of your questions answered. It is easy to get side tracked during a meeting. The list helps pull you back on track if you need it.

HSD
10-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Dr Merkel is the man! I called to make my first appointment with him on a Wed or Thurs and he called me back that SUNDAY and saw me Wed. It's a 3 hr trip from the metro NYC area but well worth the trip. Going to see him this coming Wed. Penn med is super easy with a reasonable $ garage right in the building

Aneinu
10-17-2019, 02:38 AM
Dr Merkel is the man! I called to make my first appointment with him on a Wed or Thurs and he called me back that SUNDAY and saw me Wed. It's a 3 hr trip from the metro NYC area but well worth the trip. Going to see him this coming Wed. Penn med is super easy with a reasonable $ garage right in the buildingYou might bump into my son there. He's on his way there as well. Lots of joint pains.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

HSD
10-17-2019, 09:44 AM
I had a 9:30AM appointment left my house in CT about 4:30 AM. I made good time even pulled in to a WAWA and killed a hour. I've learned my lesson over the years with doctors and make early appointments. That way I don't wind up waiting long past my appointment time because they always run late as the day goes on.

Aneinu
10-17-2019, 09:49 AM
I had a 9:30AM appointment left my house in CT about 4:30 AM. I made good time even pulled in to a WAWA and killed a hour. I've learned my lesson over the years with doctors and make early appointments. That way I don't wind up waiting long past my appointment time because they always run late as the day goes on.How did it go?

My son, who now has gpa for four years, had blood in his urine, rashes - they took a biopsy, joint pain - they took a chest scan. Dr is thinking of raising preds from 10 to 40 and doubling his dose of the trial drug Avacopan. He is on cellcept as well. Poor kid. Decent spirits though.

Our prayers are with all.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

HSD
10-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Im 6 months in to GPA, started off with bilateral embellishes in my lungs than extreme muscle pain all over my body and attaching my kidneys. First relief I got was from 30mg of prednisone daily than off to the hospital for 4 days and 4 days of Rib. IV's not sure of the dose. Just had my 6 month top off IV at the beginning of Oct. Im down to 5mg of prednisone daily after a long slow taper off. I think your sons in good hands with Dr Merkel, he stays on top of my local Rumy and guides her in my treatment.

Green Grass & High Tides
10-21-2019, 06:56 AM
Here he is giving a wide overview of research in Vasculitis. https://youtu.be/VjRUvcJIr34