PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin C? ????

im so blessed
01-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Please correct me if im wrong. Im only going off my dr. She told me to not take vitamin C because it boosts my already overactive immune system. She says they are trying to do the opposite thru my meds...what have you all heard.? Ive also been told not to ever get a flu shot? I know- do my research right? Well you all are walking research and that makes it real for me :)

brew22
01-01-2015, 05:07 AM
I dont know about the Vit C but all 3 of my Docs reccomended the flu shot which I got... Susie

Dirty Don
01-01-2015, 05:37 AM
I've taken 1000mgs of C daily all the way thru (pred & mtx)...docs knew it, never said much as long as I was comfortable with it. Never a problem. Had one 'dead' virus flu shot, didn't seem to do anything. Live ones are off limits (nasal inhalant type), but it was up to me on the other. I was a little bothered in that of the handful of flu shots I've had over the years, each time I've had a minor fluish event which is natural I'm told. Still don't like it, so I don't do them anymore. Best to you.

annekat
01-01-2015, 05:44 AM
Both of these have been controversial on here, but especially the flu shot. You can find a lot in the archives on that. It has been gone over and over. As for the vitamin C, the consensus I've seen on here most often is that it is OK to take moderate amounts, such as the amount in a multivitamin, or maybe up to 1000mg. above that, which is what I do. But it's not OK to take mega-doses, since that will stimulate the immune system too much. Different docs say different things, and I'm not following a doc's suggestion on this, since no doc has said anything about it. I'm just following my intuition, and the advice of some people on here in the past. After all, we still need SOME immune system to fight things off. I've done well, have almost no disease activity at this point, and have had only one cold in almost 4 years since dx. But I have had a couple of mild to moderate flares during winter months. Following your doc's advice probably won't hurt, but know that there are other points of view. Just my 2 cents worth. (And FWIW, no, I have never had a flu shot. Again, just my intuition, and I've never had a problem. Not saying it's the right choice, just the one I've made so far. I think the biggest reason given would be fear of stimulating a flare.)

mrtmeo
01-01-2015, 06:36 AM
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and is an essential nutrient, meaning our body can't make it.
Most animals make their own vitamin C, but we do not.
The flu shot is what gave my mom her MPA and I am totally against all vaccines.

Pete
01-01-2015, 06:41 AM
I get a flu shot every year. No problems noted. As Don said, dead virus only. I take a multi-vitamin daily and take 1,500 mg of vitamin C when I get a cold. I've had two colds since dx, and they ran their course in about a week.

jakekell
01-01-2015, 12:42 PM
I go to CC, Dr. Ville-Forte and she requested I get a flu shot. I am taking small amounts of vitamin C.......since I read the reasons not to take large amounts.

Mary

Pete
01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
The last time I saw Dr Villa Forte, she offered to give me a flu shot. I'd already gotten mine by then.

jakekell
01-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Good to know that I can get one at her office, it didn't come up until after I left. How many times a year do you go? I have only gone the one time and on the mtx/ped sounds like same as you except I can't have sulfa so take Dapsone.

Mary

Pete
01-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Good to know that I can get one at her office, it didn't come up until after I left. How many times a year do you go? I have only gone the one time and on the mtx/ped sounds like same as you except I can't have sulfa so take Dapsone.

Mary

I'm seeing her twice a year. I try to arrange appointments in mid-spring and mid-fall to avoid snowy weather.

mishb
01-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately it is the opposite for me :sad:

I can't take multi vitamins because they (or something in them) affect my liver
I can't take vitamin C tablets because anything with a citrus base (or citrus in general) cause great pain and inflammation to my joints.

Touch wood - over 4 years and not a cold or flu yet (a sore throat for a day or two only)

However the answer to your question is, yes you can have normal dose vitamin C daily.

Flu shot, in the end, is your choice......just not a live vaccine

jakekell
01-02-2015, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the info, she knows we are in Naples for the winter so I may want to check in before we head home as may want to go there then home to Michigan.

Ruotsi1
01-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, our body does not store it, and any excess we excrete out. Better to get vitamin c from fresh fruits and veggies.

jakekell
01-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Yes I agree and we do eat fresh fruit/veggies.