PDA

View Full Version : Holding meds when sick ...then mild flare ???

im so blessed
12-21-2014, 01:42 AM
So i see im not alone in this winter sick thing. I started with a bad cough before thanksgiving. (11-25) On 12-1 i went to my family dr. she did a chest x-ray. No pneumonia, but i had bronchitis. Augmentin for 10 day. My reumatolagists had told me years ago to hold my immuno-suppresents when im sick. So i skipped 2 weeks of methotrexate -i take 12.5 weekly. And i stopped taking imuran -100mg everyday for 10 days. So my bronchitis left. but when i was just at the tail end of my augmentin my sinuses started acting up. My ear started popping...both initial wg symptoms. So my question is am i really having a mild flare just because i held my meds for 2 weeks? and if i am then my desease is way to close to the surface...yet my monthly blood work done 11-24 looked just beautiful according to my dr. I had to find a new dr after my last app in september and i havnt met my new one yet. So i know i should call my dr maybe but not sure who that is right now. Never dealt with this because ive had the same dr my whole desease life. btw i think my sinuses are trying to behave again since i started immuno-suppresents back up. Its so close to christmas...i kinda feel like ignoring this until the holidays are over...your suggestions or experiences would be mind settling :) thanks!

Dirty Don
12-21-2014, 01:58 AM
Holding my meds with a cold or such was never suggested to me by Mayo. When I felt I needed to talk with the docs, they said to 'hold the line', not the meds. For them, one had nothing to do with the other. I got thru a few colds, a couple of mild bronchitis infections, with no problems other than being stuffy. I've never stopped my mtx but did mess with some of the other drugs and I paid in the form of mild flares/relapses and restarting a drug usually isn't fun as it takes a bit for some of these to take hold in the body again. Best to you...and get to the new doc!!!

Alias
12-21-2014, 02:46 AM
I have gotten the same advice: If I have significant cold symptoms or a fever, lay off my MTX injections for a week or two. Your ear popping symptoms could just be a manifestation of the damage already done by WG combined with your cold. If in doubt or very worried, call a doc, but I can confirm that my very experienced rheumatologist told me to hold off on MTX for one or two weeks in similar circumstances.

Pete
12-21-2014, 04:00 AM
I've had two colds and a gastrovirus since going on mtx. I continued my wegs meds through all episodes. My body responded as it did before wegs.