PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory Cold -- Again this winter!

MikeG-2012
12-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Three years with this disease and three winters in a row with bad respiratory chest cold. This trend is getting old. Since my sinuses are so ruined, and I rinse so often, colds hit me right in the middle of my chest--literally! It's been two long weeks today that I've been fighting this one. On Tuesday, doc finally relented and put me on 12 day dose pack of pred (40x3 days, 30x3, 20x3, 10x3). It seems to be helping, but the hyper-activity can't keep up with the exhaustion. I fly, I crash! The nebulizer came out of storage as well as the bottle of Acetylcysteine (mucus buster medication also used treat Tylenol overdoses). So cough syrup every 4 hours, the good Rx stuff at night, nebi every 4 hours when I am awake, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be better by the beginning of next week.

So, I'm not much in the holiday spirit this week; I'm still sick, and tired of fighting this coughing. Thanks for letting me vent!

Pete
12-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Vent away, Friend!! I was gonna remind you of my childhood doc's advice about dealing with colds until I saw you're three weeks in. The doc's advice?? Treat a cold and it lasts seven days; leave it alone and it lasts a week!

Hope you feel better soon so you can enjoy the holidays...

Debbie C
12-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Mike,that sucks ( oop,can I say that ? ! ) There has been a thing going around. Alot of people have this coughing thing. My sister and her boyfriend are still sick after about 3 weeks. They are finally on antibiotics. Hope you recupe enough to enjoy the holiday.

BookNut
12-20-2014, 02:56 PM
So, I'm not much in the holiday spirit this week; I'm still sick, and tired of fighting this coughing. Thanks for letting me vent!

I SO feel your pain. I get the same symptoms that aggravate my asthma about every 6-8 weeks. I am trying Xolair shots right now, after having been on prednisone 13 times in the past 15 months. I will let you know how that goes. It seems to be a god send for many asthmatics who don't respond well to more common treatments. Don't know yet if it is working, and I have no idea if it is something that would be compatible with Wegeners. I will keep you informed. But I certainly understand your frustration!! Ratchet down your expectations of yourself, and try to enjoy those peaceful moments of the Holiday. Feel better Mike. I will be thinking of you!

drz
12-20-2014, 10:05 PM
I have noticed a similar pattern at end of the year of mild flares or increased residual symptoms which seem like a bad cold and often end up in sinus infection or bronchitis from excess mucous running down back of my throat. Two years ago I was sick from before Thanksgiving to Valentines Day and went to the ER on Christmas Day. Last year I ended up getting an antibiotic just before Thanksgiving to try avoid the ER thing and it seemed to prevent the more serious infections. I too have to increase my nasal rinses, add frequent doses of generic mucinex, gargling with salt water or brandy, and using of a warm moist air inhaler to try reduce the sore throats and keep the respiratory tract open and working.

I think part of it is due to lower humidity from the drier air from colder weather and use of heat, having less fresh air and outdoor activity and spending more time inside because of colder weather, attending more indoor Holiday social events where people often seem to have colds, and maybe diet changes like eating more sweets which increases sugar intake, and having a few more alcoholic beverages which might also cause more inflammation.

Some of it might also be tendency to get run down from trying to do too much due to demands of the season and need to take care of things that need attending. I also find it harder to stay home and rest when there are fun things I really want to attend so fatigue might also be a factor. I agree though it is harder to be happy when you feel crappy and physically hurt. I do often need to skip some things and crash and nap to try keep functioning.

MikeG-2012
12-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks for letting me vent folks. Felt good to do that, and knowing that all of you get it and can understand what I am going through makes all the difference.

Today, I feel better than I have in 10 days. Today, my lungs are relatively clear, and I'm breathing a lot better--without hacking my insides up! LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

mrtmeo
12-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi Mike,
Do you keep your vitamin D levels within the optimum range of 60-80 ng/mL?
I have always kept my mom from getting respiratory infections doing this.
Vitamin D modulates our immune system and we can't get it from the sun in the north between Sept and April.

MikeG-2012
12-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Hi Mike,
Do you keep your vitamin D levels within the optimum range of 60-80 ng/mL?
I have always kept my mom from getting respiratory infections doing this.
Vitamin D modulates our immune system and we can't get it from the sun in the north between Sept and April.

All winter, I take a pretty good dose of D + Calcium every day. Been doing that since the beginning of the prednisone.

My lungs have enough damage that they only have about 67% of their function on a daily basis. Pretty sure that I'm not ever going to get that back either. So, colds, no matter how small, go right to my compromised lungs--very fast.

annekat
12-22-2014, 01:30 AM
I'm glad you are feeling better today, Mike, and hope that means that this was indeed a passing thing, something that went around and you have managed to fight off. I concur with everyone above about the effects of cold, dry weather, or even cold, wet weather, spending time outdoors, and the stresses of the holidays. I'm spending a few days now outside at the Olympia Farmers Market, and my coughing has started up again. It is not nearly as cold as what you routinely get in Illinois, but right now it is damp, and yesterday was windy. And I heat with wood, or my kiln, both of which cause dry air in my house, with extra measures needed to provide humidity. I don't think I have a cold, it is just the effects of winter and holiday stresses, and I do seem to get a little flare once the holidays are over... not this year, I hope, knock on wood! The other big bugaboo for me is SUGAR, which is constantly pushed at me this time of year, and I don't have to eat it, but I do.... if I can just do it in small doses, it is fine, but NOOOO.... I have just been reminded again how it causes all my symptoms to increase and makes me feel like, well, crap. So, watch the sugar, cold and dry or damp air, and overdoing it in general this time of year, folks!

vdub
12-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Kind of interesting, but I have been suppressed for almost 5 years now and I don't recall having any flu or colds. I think my suppression is on par with most of you -- I take 20mg/wk mtx. I do get the flu shot every year, but I'm told they missed the mark for this year. But at any rate, I take no special precautions and expose myself to all sorts of germs on airplanes and public places, yet not once have I had a viral infection of any kind. I have no idea how I have been so lucky.

MikeG-2012
12-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Kind of interesting, but I have been suppressed for almost 5 years now and I don't recall having any flu or colds. '... not once have I had a viral infection of any kind. I have no idea how I have been so lucky.

I think part of my problem is that I work at a college. There is SO much going around, that it is the law of averages whether or not I wind up catching something. I am CAREFUL and use ADA door buttons, wash hands regularly, and I even have an external allergy rated furnace filter on my office HVAC duct. But, nevertheless, every year, I seem to to be graced by someone's cold. this year, it just happened to hit me pretty hard, pretty fast. I didn't have time to react and start nebulizing early.

Crashing over the weekend has helped. Still don't have our Christmas tree up yet, and don't know if we will have time. I have a surgical procedure scheduled for tomorrow, so we might have Christmas without our normal overly decorated tree(s).

Wishing all of you good health and wellness over the holidays!

annekat
12-23-2014, 01:09 AM
I, too, have been lucky. I've gotten one cold since my dx coming up on 4 years ago. I do not get flu shots and haven't gotten the flu. I'm on the fence about them, after reading people's opinions either way on here, and just have never gotten one. Last time I got the flu was maybe 10-15 years ago, pre-wegs. I have had cold sores, that is herpes of the mouth and face, all my life, and before Wegs, had a period of getting pretty bad outbreaks. Since Wegs, I have had fewer of these outbreaks and they are easier to control. I have no idea why. Maybe the pred is controlling the inflammation that causes them to form blisters? As for catching things, I do spend at least a couple of days a week in a public place, but it is outdoors, so the germs aren't enclosed. I'm careful, and use hand sanitizer, and wash my hands well when I can. My sister who teaches school gets sick more than I do, so yes, I can relate that to your situation, Mike! I hope you enjoy a rest during the holidays and can go back to work feeling rejuvenated.

Pete
12-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Hope all goes well tomorrow!!