PDA

View Full Version : High ANCA = Fatigue?

mrtmeo
12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Just wondering if anyone sees a correlation between fatigue and elevated ANCA?

lag713
12-16-2014, 02:23 PM
There is one blood test that reflects the level of inflammation that can be used as an indicator of disease activity. It's not the ANCA level but something else that I can't remember. I will see my rheumatologist in a couple weeks and let you know. The only downside to this blood test for monitoring disease activity is that it also reflects infections and other illnesses that you may have as well (cold, flu, etc.).

mrtmeo
12-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Hi Lag,
Please update when u find out.

lag713
12-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) or sed rate is the blood test measuring inflammation my rheumatologist ordered. There are others as well. These are nonspecific to wegs so it's important to remember that the number can be high due to an infection, etc. I'm going in for my bloodwork today for a followup and for the National Databank for Rheumatic Diseases.

I decided I couldn't wait a couple weeks to ask so I decided to google "blood test inflammation" and it came up immediately. How did we get on before the Internet?

mrtmeo
12-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) or sed rate is the blood test measuring inflammation my rheumatologist ordered. There are others as well. These are nonspecific to wegs so it's important to remember that the number can be high due to an infection, etc. I'm going in for my bloodwork today for a followup and for the National Databank for Rheumatic Diseases.

I decided I couldn't wait a couple weeks to ask so I decided to google "blood test inflammation" and it came up immediately. How did we get on before the Internet?

Yes, sed rate and crp are non specific for inflammation.
However, my mom's neph has not done these since her anca's have not turned negative and I don't understand why.
I asked him to do them but he didn't.

kaysee
12-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Blake, My nephrologist, who orders blood work every time before I see him, does not order the sed rate and crp test either, but my rhuematologist does order these when he has blood work done. Does your mom have a rhuem dr who might order them?

mrtmeo
12-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Blake, My nephrologist, who orders blood work every time before I see him, does not order the sed rate and crp test either, but my rhuematologist does order these when he has blood work done. Does your mom have a rhuem dr who might order them?

She just got a rheumy this month, but I will have to ask him.
How did your rtx treatment go?
Did u get your kidney function back and go into remission?

kaysee
12-18-2014, 02:52 PM
She just got a rheumy this month, but I will have to ask him.
How did your rtx treatment go?
Did u get your kidney function back and go into remission?

My rtx treatments went fine. My kidney function is still about the same 50%, but the creatinine numbers are dropping each time they check blood. They were 2.2 before the rtx treatments and 1.7 with the last blood check. I'm not sure if I'm in remisssion. I am still on 5 mg pred and will drop to 5 mg every other day next week. The rhuemy talked about putting me on imuran and stopping pred entirely. He will do the ANCA test in January to see if I am still positive.

Hoping things start going better for your mother.

mrtmeo
12-19-2014, 12:00 PM
My rtx treatments went fine. My kidney function is still about the same 50%, but the creatinine numbers are dropping each time they check blood. They were 2.2 before the rtx treatments and 1.7 with the last blood check. I'm not sure if I'm in remisssion. I am still on 5 mg pred and will drop to 5 mg every other day next week. The rhuemy talked about putting me on imuran and stopping pred entirely. He will do the ANCA test in January to see if I am still positive.

Hoping things start going better for your mother.
Hi Karen,
I am so glad your kidney function is getting better!
Do u have any anemia or proteinuria?

kaysee
12-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi Karen,
I am so glad your kidney function is getting better!
Do u have any anemia or proteinuria?

I did have anemia and proteinuria when first diagnosed. On last blood test I was ok for both.

mrtmeo
12-21-2014, 08:21 AM
I did have anemia and proteinuria when first diagnosed. On last blood test I was ok for both.

I am so glad the Rtx worked well for you and works well for maintenance.
My mom didn't do that well on the Rtx and I have not found any evidence in the literature that it is effective for MPA.
There is no breakdown of patients in both the RAVE and Rituxvas trials, so their results don't say if MPA patients had success.