PDA

View Full Version : New cure coming for kidney scarring

mrtmeo
11-22-2014, 05:09 AM
A MELBOURNE medical breakthrough that may one day keep kidney disease patients off dialysis and prevent the need for some transplants has captured the world’s attention.

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/breakthrough-development-in-kidney-disease-could-be-worth-600m/story-fni0fit3-1226944885580?nk=a761f97db69b73d2fcacb4888d120332)

Wegetarian
11-27-2014, 01:35 AM
If I understood it correctly it would help in preventing the kidney to scar, and not cure scaring that has already happened?

mrtmeo
11-27-2014, 11:00 AM
If I understood it correctly it would help in preventing the kidney to scar, and not cure scaring that has already happened?

Yeah, there sure isn't much detail in the article, but maybe there will be more on it in the future.

gilders
11-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Even if this only stops scaring, rather than reversing/repairing scaring it's great news.
After one of my relapses everything seemed to be going well and looked like I was heading in to remission. BUT my kidneys carried on deteriorating. Another renal biopsy was done and it turned out I was in remission, but for quite a while after WG has done it's damage to the kidneys, when your body attempts to heal/repair the damage, scar tissue is formed. This scar tissue spreads and causes as much damage as the original WG damage. If this secondary damage could be stopped it would go some way to help preventing further kidney damage whilst in the early remission stage.

mrtmeo
11-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Serrapeptase is supposed to eat fibrotic scar tissue and help with inflammation, but there are no studies showing this.