PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic.

Jack
11-04-2009, 07:42 AM
I think Andrew should start cracking the whip a bit more on this one. A bit of banter and subject drift is great for the atmosphere on the Forum, but recently threads have been pretty well hijacked and the original point raised or question asked has then been lost.

If people just want to pass the time of day, the General Chit-Chat section is the place created for it.

Sorry to have to raise this subject, but I was trying to look something up the other day and noticed that the thread title often had little to do with most of the posts attached. It occurred to me that we are always encouraging newcomers to read through the threads for information, but it is not an easy task due to the addition of all the superfluous or misplaced stuff.

andrew
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Agreed :) I was just discussing this very thing today. I'm going to rename the 'general chit-chat' forum to 'off topic' which might make it a bit clearer.

There's always room for a bit of drift but yes, there are some threads particularly recently that have strayed too far of course. I'm guilty of it too so I'm not pointing the finger at anyone :)

It makes it hard for newcomers to look up info if there's too much static in there. Can I please get everyone's cooperation on this?

If there's too much off-topic in a thread I'll move it to the of topic forum. No malice or anything else intended in that and I fully appreciate the fact that this place is a hang-out as well as an information source, just that it'd be good to have the info that people need easier to find :)

Thanks in advance all of you and thanks Jack for raising the issue!

andrew
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I've also deleted the 'Geek Forum' and moved the two threads in there to the 'Off Topic Discussion' forum

Sangye
11-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks Andrew and Jack for the excellent reminder! I'll certainly be more mindful of my posts, and regularly go back and read the entire thread to make sure I'm staying on-topic more often than not.

Also if we remember to include the subject in a new thread name it makes it much easier to find info later. Like "Is it Warts or Wegener's?" versus "Uh-oh." :D

All the changes will really help newcomers who are recently diagnosed and need info fast. :)

Doug
11-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Andrew-

Visually, it would be easier to relate Forum > Thread/Thread Starter if they were closer together on the Home Page, and organized in the Forum > Thread/Thread Starter order in Quick Links (which is what I use as my starting point).

Even if the Forum column were moved over to the far lefthand in the Quick Links section, it would be an improvement.

BARON
11-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Well put Jack i must admit it is easy to ramble i like the idea of off topic this will make you laugh on the subject of food with D on steroid she has eating days On Sunday she did a gammon joint quite big sow had tea Sunday and i said to her today i will have a bit of gammon and branston her reply was it gone I've eaten it 'its been in the fridge three days didn't want it to go off made me laugh

andrew
11-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Andrew-

Visually, it would be easier to relate Forum > Thread/Thread Starter if they were closer together on the Home Page, and organized in the Forum > Thread/Thread Starter order in Quick Links (which is use as my starting point).

Even if the Forum column were moved over to the far lefthand in the Quick Links section, it would be an improvement, perhaps help those of us inclined to free associate to tread closer to topic.:mad: (mean face so you know I'm seriously serious!)

Doug it took me a good ten minutes to work out what you meant :D My eyes finally roverd over to the right-hand side of the page and....EUREKA!!! :p

Mate I'll check it out. Good idea!

On Sunday she did a gammon joint quite big sow had tea Sunday and i said to her today i will have a bit of gammon and branston her reply was it gone I've eaten it 'its been in the fridge three days didn't want it to go off made me laugh

HAhahahaha! I can relate although I never would have let it go three whole days! :cool:

Sangye
11-05-2009, 06:12 AM
I never even knew what the QuickLinks thing did. :D Doug, thanks for pointing it out-- it's really useful!

I always just click on Demon Bunny for starters. (Think he'll get mad if I skip him sometimes? Don't wanna anger da bunny. I is ascared of him. :eek:)

coffeelover
11-05-2009, 01:10 PM
You have my complete cooperation Andrew!

I too have searched threads like Jack and got frustrated so I understand.
Lisa

andrew
11-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Andrew-

Visually, it would be easier to relate Forum > Thread/Thread Starter if they were closer together on the Home Page, and organized in the Forum > Thread/Thread Starter order in Quick Links (which is use as my starting point).

Hi Doug
I took a look and it's doable but it'll turn my brain to mush at the moment :D Might leave it until the new upgrade comes out as I think (hope) it'll be easier to achieve then! Good idea though!

Sangye
11-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I replied on another thread... There's no telling what her life was like before the pound, too. She might have had a long history of trauma.

I'm glad you had each other at least for a little while. :)

onatreetop
11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Orange one is Cheeto, he's the lover. oreo is the black white and grey, he wont let anyone touch him but my daughter. We are working on him. Fluffy is the calico and is normal. And Jasmine the mini kitty is also know as the phsyco kitty or wino kitty.She is off the wall and full of it. When you pet her she dibbles on you. We love them all and get so much affection and entertainment from them. I don't know what I was waiting for before we got them,. Yes I do for the kids to be a little older. Less injury that way.

Jack
11-12-2009, 09:05 AM
And the title of this thread is..................?
:rolleyes:

Sangye
11-12-2009, 09:08 AM
And the title of this thread is..................?
:rolleyes:
"Brains on Pred."

Jack
11-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I think it is a hopeless cause round here. You are right Sangye, it's probably all the drugs we take!

Sangye
11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I think it's because the thread is called "Off Topic!"

Jack
11-12-2009, 06:17 PM
You mean it is my fault? :eek:

;)

onatreetop
11-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I am sorry if I stray. No pun intended. But I am rambling from the land of panic and pred. I am a big offender of the stray thing sorry.:D

onatreetop
11-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Off topic right? Doesn't that mean almost any topic? within the rules of coarse.

I am so sorry about the kitty. My sister-in-laws came home to pasted away cat two days ago. She still cant talk about it or to me for that matter.I feel so bad and offered to help but she said no. I did try. we are best friends too. She only had the one.

Another kid down with flu this morning. That is 3 out of 4. I ......................................am going to work. Dadio can deal with it I hope.

Sangye
11-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Doug, are you upset? I don't understand. I think I missed something. :confused:

Sangye
11-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Another kid down with flu this morning. That is 3 out of 4. I ......................................am going to work. Dadio can deal with it I hope.
Did you ever see the Monty Python movie where they say, "Run away! Run awaaaay!" :D

Dadio will find a way. You've got to take care of yourself!

crackers
11-13-2009, 03:18 AM
this off topic issue is one of the reasons i haven't posted much of late.i'm not in a position to advise people on their condition or their medication so i don't but every now and again i see something that i can comment on so i do.the problem is it usually leads to bit of meandering away from the original topic but if i was to start a new thread just to make my comment it would seem nonsensicle to someone who read it, as it would have no context.if you put six people around a table and they start a conversation you can be sure that after ten minutes the subject matter has changed completely.the main reason i liked this site was the humour and the banter as we have enough misery and slckness thanks to this disease.now i think twice before posting and usually don't.
john.

Sangye
11-13-2009, 03:22 AM
I wondered why you weren't posting, John. I was worried you weren't feeling well. I like the "dinner table" feel of this site, too. How can we make this work for everyone?

Jack
11-13-2009, 03:50 AM
As I mentioned in my original post, I think we all enjoy the off topic banter and I would hate to see it disappear. I think the point I was trying to raise was aimed at the threads that go off subject for a whole page or so, sometimes never to return rather than the odd post with a stray thought.

I don't think members need feel shy about starting new threads in the Off Topic section. Some things may seem random or pointless, but you are amongst friends and can be sure you won't get flamed for anything you care to say. It will probably also spark another long, rambling discussion. ;)

Sangye
11-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Just like in regular conversations, some people feel comfortable starting a conversation (thread) and others feel more comfortable jumping in to one that's already going.

I obviously do both. In "real" life, I never shut up. If I'm quiet, my friends know I'm really sick.

Doug
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Doug, are you upset? I don't understand. I think I missed something. :confused:

I was. The confusion over "Off Topic" is what was upsetting because I was trying my best to stay on topic. Find another posting by me in this thread now other than the one related to how minimize the potential for error. Understand most people want to do what's right, and when the right tools are in place most people will do what is right. Error proofing.

Is this posting on topic? Here's the heading: Website Issues, Feedback and Announcements Problems with this website? Questions? Completely confusticated? Post here! Any planned maintenance downtime will be announced here too.

Danged if I know. Like John, I will be hesitant to post in future.

Sangye
11-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Personally, I tend not to be too bothered by off topic conversations, though I understand why others might be. I do think they can be a problem for newcomers who might be searching for info quickly, or for anyone else searching for info.

I don't think it's the short, conversation-like, back-and-forth jokes and comments that are in question, as much as long posts that are way off the thread topic. Especially if there are multiple long posts in one thread. That's just my guess.

Doug
11-13-2009, 04:03 PM
The easiest way to be sure is stay on topic, cut the side bars. I've tried to find specific information by thread before and Jack's comments are dead on. How can we expect new people to find information we direct them to on this site if they have to wade through extraneous, if amusing, banter?

andrew
11-13-2009, 07:32 PM
The last thing I wanted to do was upset and exclude anyone. Simply put, as others have said, I thought it would be easier for new people (and those that have been here for a while) to find what they are looking for if the amount of off-topic was kept to a minimum. I mean geez, I'm not a cop, I'm just trying to make things easier. I'm not going to shout at anyone for going off topic this isn't a police state :eek: I'm just trying to stop pages of off-topic banter in otherwise highly informative threads. You guys are the ones that make this site successful. It's the result of efforts from everyone here. The off-topic stuff is part of what makes this site great. Everyone values your opinions both on and off topic there's no reason to stop posting.

This is the off-topic section. Pretty much anything goes.

I love you all, keep on keeping on.

jola57
11-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Arrest me now because I'm guilty:D, Doug you not posting, and pigs will fly:eek: we all love it here with all the traits of a large family. Just think with all of us around John's table.

crackers
11-15-2009, 09:36 PM
you're all welcome around my table anytime.

Sangye
11-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Potluck? :D:D

Doug
11-16-2009, 01:40 AM
I thought we'd have Jolanta make a Polish feast (or better yet, guide us through the process step by step so she doesn't get stuck with it all).

jola57
11-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Having wild mushroom soup followed with cheese blintzes and beef rolls tonightall home made from scratch so come on over LOL, oh and cabbage pierogis too.

elephant
11-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Sounds delicious! My husband went out and bought 24 krispe kreme doughnuts and a varity of them. I ate three! They were so good! Enjoy your yummy meal and you live too far away for me to come and eat your food. Darn it!:eek::)

jola57
11-23-2009, 07:12 AM
krispe kreme, mmmm. We have Tim Hortons timbits, I can't buy them or I will eat the whole box (10).

coffeelover
11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I am drooling over the wild mushroom soup. Sounds very yummy! Please send a recipe. I absolutely LOVE mushrooms. They are so good for you too! A Win Win!

You know, I tend to gravitate to this "OFF Topic" Thread first. Maybe it is because I want a break from my disease and this thread does that. Thanks all
Lisa Coffeelover

Sangye
11-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Lisa, you can start a new Off Topic thread, too. Or just add to this one. I like the dinner table-like conversation on here, too. :)

elephant
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
We just finished 24 krispe kreme doughnuts. :o:eek: Oh my, so full. So good. Kids loved them and that's what we had for breakfast this morning. Sometimes you just need to have fun with food.:D

RCOSSIO
11-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Wow...all this food...do you want me to bring arroz con frijoles negros y yuca con mojo...please let me know :D

Sangye
11-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Si, por favor! :D

elephant
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds delicious Rcossio, served the kids soft taco's for dinner. They decided to make masks of out the soft taco's and applied them to their face's. They even took little bites out of the soft taco so they can see and breath! Told them to stop playing with their food! :eek:

Sangye
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, hopefully they took out the taco contents before putting them on their faces....

onatreetop
11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I can't wait for the pumpkin pie myself fallowed by a chocolate chip cookie with fresh ground kona coffee. Yummmmmmmmmmm. Of coarse Ihave to make them first. Store bought not the same. Happy Thanksgiving!!! I have friends that moved to New Zealand a while ago and the managed to find a turkey this year and are inviting all the kiwis they know! And thanks for giving everyone!!!!

We are famous for our taco nights too. All our friends come over, adults and kids, and we eat to much and drink to much to usually. It is a lot of fun and easy too.We haven't done it much since starting all the meds. Maybe for my bday. We do hard, soft tacos, refried bean dip hot with a ton a of ingreds. veggies and dip guac.and chips salsa too. Now I am hungry.

Sangye
11-25-2009, 01:52 AM
I just finished breakfast. Too soon for a taco? :rolleyes:

elephant
11-25-2009, 01:58 AM
My kids finally took their soft taco's off their faces and ate them. I don't like good food to go to waste. :eek: We use to have friends over too for taco's and wine. Life has been so busy. I miss those days. After the holidays and things quiet down, I'll have a small taco party. :D So looking forward to eating Thanksgiving food! :p

Sangye
11-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Not that this applies to any of us on pred.... Nooooo, not at all.

http://ihasahotdog.wordpress.com/files/2009/11/funny-dog-pictures-confronting-overeating.jpg (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)

(http://ihasahotdog.com/)

elephant
11-25-2009, 04:21 AM
That was me on Prednisone doses from 60-20mg! It was bad! I ate three meals within two hours and it was only 10:30 in the morning!:p:eek::rolleyes: I am so glad I'm taking 7mg!

Doug
11-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Ai! Ricardo! That happens to be the best food from Cuba, in my mind! I had a rice dish sin carne myself tonight. Turned out well considering the odd combination of oriental vegetables, a mashed acorn squash, and brown rice. A little butter, a touch of pepper, sea salt, and aged balsamic vinegar dribbled over the top, and I'm prepared to raid the 'fridge tonight even if it means I have to figure out something else to eat tomorrow! I'm working on reducing meat in my diet, usually by having meatless meals on an irregular schedule, mainly because just about anything like rice makes such a big amount even when you try to keep it down to one meal's proportion!

Doug
11-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I just finished breakfast. Too soon for a taco? :rolleyes:

In proper Mexican homes, this type of food might just be breakfast! It's the best of all worlds. It is the cultural "go-ahead" to eat just about anything yummy for breakfast- tacos would suit me fine!, and now I want some on soft shells myself! The idea of biting out eyes, nose, and mouth holes so the soft tortilla can be used as a mask truly is genius! I'm not ready to face people, most days, that early in the morning, and the tortilla mask is just close enough to howI look then to jut about fool most peope most of the time!:p

Jack
11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
The irony of this thread makes me smile. :)
It was titled "Off Topic" so that I could have a quick rant about threads straying from their subject into oblivion, but instead it has served as an invitation to discuss anything "off topic" :D
Please continue - it was always a lost cause anyway.

onatreetop
11-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Breakfast taco.........Soft shell with scrambled eggs cooked with green peppers, onions a little hot pepper, salsa and cheddar cheese!!!!! Oh Madre!!!!!!! Now I want 5 !!!! :D

Sangye
11-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Mmmmm, yummy... So many tacos...

Here's one you might not know about. :D

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2009/11/funny-pictures-taco-cat-is-a-palindrome.jpg (http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/website-issues-feedback-announcements/%3Ca%20href=)

(Man, that is one angry cat... :D)

elephant
11-27-2009, 06:42 AM
That cat wears her taco well. Too funny!

andrew
11-27-2009, 07:09 PM
It was titled "Off Topic" so that I could have a quick rant about threads straying from their subject into oblivion, but instead it has served as an invitation to discuss anything "off topic" :D

Hahaha yes I was just thinking that this thread is going great. It's truly 'dinner table conversation' as someone said. Love it!!

Doug
12-01-2009, 01:52 AM

Be careful what you wish for...! :rolleyes: Oh well, whatever the original topic was is long forgotten.

Doug
12-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Be careful what you wish for...! :rolleyes: Oh well, whatever the original topic was is long forgotten.

Oops! I'm quoting myself now! I was just going to add (in an edit, not a quote), that the holy grail of topic adherence still is a worthy one. It makes searches more meaningful and less confusing once you get there. You've converted me, Jack, and I am a former heavy abuser!

timbo vic aust
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
ha ha ha lol i think im gonna fit in well here i like the humour
i sitting at the table with all you guys keep the good food coming

elephant
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Christmas/Holidays are coming, boy this will be tough fighting the high caloric yummy foods. All these talks about eating healthy and exercising has kept me focused on making better choices during the holidays. Once my family comes down here for Christmas, I'm going to have to duct tape my mouth and wear hand cuffs so I don't eat the goodies. :eek:

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Food cant live with it cant live without it! I am eating dry oats by the handful at the moment but wish with all my might it was TACO NIGHT! Could use a turkey taco and beandip lets not forget the wine or tequila!!!:rolleyes: the laughter and support of friends is the dessert!!

BARON
12-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the birthday wishes D is just about to have lemon chicken i had got the rice out but no chips are on the menu its one of her if it doesn't move eat it day its a good thing the dog can run Ha Ha

elephant
12-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Go get yourself a turkey taco and bean dip. They are full of protein and the bean dip is filled with fiber. May want to sleep in a different room.:D:o:)

Sangye
12-03-2009, 08:48 AM
its one of her if it doesn't move eat it day its a good thing the dog can run Ha Ha
Too funny! :D:D

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I ate more dry oats again, Craving carbs !!!! What do you think. Can't wait to start baking and get really big too. This is when I do the Claus thing and start to look like them too. Happily!!:D

timbo vic aust
12-03-2009, 01:12 PM
the ol pred certainly makes you want to eat more i've put on 6 kilos in two and a half weeks :)

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I am ready to hit Atlantic City and the buffets!!!! Wheres my table?:D

elephant
12-03-2009, 01:27 PM
When I was on high doses of Prednisone, I would go to three grocery stores a day and got a high just buying food. I thought of food every second of the day. What am I going to eat next? What should I make, for the next meal. I craved dark chocolate and muffins. Ok, I craved every food particle. Prednisone is somthing else!! I feel for you Onatreetop! Oh, I still love food! So you can ramble and talk food or whatever.:D

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I have to chase the kids to bed but I will most likely be up later, Pred.. Ramble, Ramble, ramble. There I feel better. Yes food is so much more apealing when taking pred.it is down right obsessive really.Are the wonderful tastes, favors and textures. Oh my!!!

katwoman
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
if it doesn't move eat it day its a good thing the dog can run Ha Ha

That's a good line Baron, I've just been put back on Pred and I've been waking up each morning and checking that the cat isn't missing :):)

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Mine are to small to eat yet. I will stick with the dry oatmeal for now. Hard to eat a lot of too. :o

elephant
12-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Need to throw some blueberries with the oatmeal. Just microwave the oatmeal 1/2 cup of oats and one cup of water in a large glass bowl/Pyrex for 2 minutes and then throw some frozen blueberries in there and add honey, cinnamon and whatever spice you want. Man I'm hungry thinking about this. Yummy in my tum, tum..:p

onatreetop
12-06-2009, 01:22 AM
That sounds good. But I am kraving sweets again. The dry oats seem to do the trick during the day. Pinch here a pinch there. I want to start baking but when I do I wont stop and will continue until after the twins bday in January.

elephant
12-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Do you like Dark chocolate? For some reason I craved that and muffins. Coffee and Blueberry, Pumpkin, Lemon poppy seed, chocolate, strawberry with cream cheese ( to die for), cranberry-orange and Morning Glory are my favorite MUFFINS!! I'm drooling just writing this. :o:p

Sangye
12-06-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm gonna electrocute myself if I don't get this drool off my keyboard....

coffeelover
12-06-2009, 07:30 AM
today I had blueberries in yogurt......nummy! Satisfied my sweet tooth for now
coffeelover (that latte helps as well)

Doug
12-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Food, glorious food! Mmmmm! Blueberries......!:o

Sangye
12-06-2009, 08:57 AM
My kingdom for a blueberry.

katwoman
12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
It's a sad day when I enjoy taking the Coles Supermarket xmas cooking idea catalogue to bed with me to pour (drool) over!

BARON
12-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I have to say food as become Moore of a topic for us too the recipe books have never had so much use in 30 years Ha Ha D wood kill me for this as she is a good cook were as my mum's was spot the hot bit she could never get it all hot at the same time so every thing had gravy on it her special was stew even in the middle of summer

Sangye
12-07-2009, 08:43 AM
This morning my neighbors upstairs were cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast. The smell comes down through the heating vents. It smelled so good! I'm not really an egg-eater and never keep bacon or sausages in the house. I flashed back to my first 3 months on high dose pred. Every single morning I craved 3 eggs, 2 sausage links and 2 pieces of toast! I had to have it. People who knew my distaste for eggs were wide-eyed. I had no idea it was the pred. I just thought the extreme debilitation had made my body crave protein to stay alive.

elephant
12-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Sounds good. I'm not much of a egg,bacon and sausage eater, but my nostrils flared when you mentioned it. I love the egg and bacon sandwich especially when the egg yolk gets all gooey and drips out of the sandwich. You need a wet wipe on hand to eat it. So good!:D

onatreetop
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
dark Chocolate is my favorite. Then good milk chocolate. I was craving Lasanga and made it tonight. So good!!!!! Red pepper, green pepper and onion sauted with grd. turkey and garlic then mixed in the sauce. Oh mama!!!Some ricota, mozz and parm and I was a very happy girl.

When I was in myearly twentysI lived on Chocolate, coffee and cigs.. Those were the days. Never gained a pound. Could stay up for days. That was life times ago.

elephant
12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
We had lasagna two nights ago. It was store bought (stouffers), it was ok. One of my favorite stores is Whole Foods, I love to eat lunch there. It really isn't that expensive compared to any other fast food place. Your getting fresh healthy food. Even the pizza is good. I need to go grocery shopping today! So excited!

Sangye
12-08-2009, 02:03 AM
One of our sangha members is a manager at the local Whole Foods. He often brings really nice meals for our temple on special days. For Thanksgiving he said he wanted to bring the turkey for about 25 people. We always do a pot-luck Thanksgiving, and invite anyone who wants to join us. About an hour before we all arrived with our dishes, he delivers not just a turkey for 25 but the entire meal--even drinks and dessert-- for 25 people. Huge boxes of the most delicious food! So it was pretty funny as we all showed up with our little plates of yams, etc....

elephant
12-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Alot of people were ordering the Thanksgiving meal at Whole foods. It looked very good. Too bad, no scratch and sniff. Glad you enjoyed your whole foods.:D