PDA

View Full Version : A strange question.

kmac14
11-04-2014, 07:35 AM
It has been something which I have often wondered. There is a gene variant called ABCC11 and about 2% of people have it. Well I have it and it means basically that you don't get body odour and don't need to wear deodorant. Another feature is that you get hard earwax unlike the majority of the population. Very very long shot but have any of you got that gene?

Jayne 14
11-04-2014, 08:13 AM
No I've not got it , or ever heard of it !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kmac14
11-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Ah well. Thought I'd ask. It could have been something quite common in wegeners.

Rose
11-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi kim

how do you know you have it? Have you had some genetic testing? If so why and when? Had some hard ear wax when I first saw the .ENT with my sinus issues 4 months before diagnosis. I had to use an oil for a week or so then return so he could remove it. Haven't had a problem since. ....at least I don't think I have. As far as body odour is concerned I probably could go without deodorant.

Rose

kmac14
11-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I have never had to wear deodorant and have the hard ear wax. People who do have the gene variant generally don't even really know it because it is the societal norm to spray deodorant so they do. But if they don't then they don't get BO. Many still just do use deodorant. When you point it out to people, the ones with the gene generally 'know' that this describes them. The penny drops. You could get genetically tested but it is pretty obvious if you do have it. Just that there are lots of theories about wg and genetic predispositions, etc so I thought I'd ask. Likely talking rubbis but just out of interest really. I believe that it is about 2% of population who have the gene.

mrtmeo
11-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi kim

how do you know you have it? Have you had some genetic testing? If so why and when? Had some hard ear wax when I first saw the .ENT with my sinus issues 4 months before diagnosis. I had to use an oil for a week or so then return so he could remove it. Haven't had a problem since. ....at least I don't think I have. As far as body odour is concerned I probably could go without deodorant.

Rose

Hi Rose,
What kind of oil did you use and how long did u leave it in your ears to clear the wax?

Rose
11-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi Mrtmeo

It is called "Sweet Oil" and is available off the shelf in any pharmacy. Lots on the internet about it. I remember I had to slightly warm it and put a few drops in my ear twice a day. It is harmless and worked a treat. It was only the one ear (I had a burst ear drum in the other) and if I remember correctly I kept my head tilted for about 10 min or so. Dont think I actually removed it. Just cleaned my ear with some q tips just before the next application.

Rose

mrtmeo
11-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi Mrtmeo

It is called "Sweet Oil" and is available off the shelf in any pharmacy. Lots on the internet about it. I remember I had to slightly warm it and put a few drops in my ear twice a day. It is harmless and worked a treat. It was only the one ear (I had a burst ear drum in the other) and if I remember correctly I kept my head tilted for about 10 min or so. Dont think I actually removed it. Just cleaned my ear with some q tips just before the next application.

Rose

Thanks Rose.
That sounds like it would work better than hydrogen peroxide.

vdub
11-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Yes, I must have it and so does my Dad... Its a nice trait to have given my current hormonal issues with no pituitary.

annekat
11-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I must not have it because I did have the normal perspiration odor as a young adult, at least, though I feel it tapered off during adulthood. However, at this point, since having WG, I can't smell a thing so wouldn't know if I had BO unless someone told me! Which they haven't. But I think about it once in awhile and use a small amount of deodorant and various spritzers. As for ear wax, it's usually been sort of medium, not goopy, but more flaky or crumbly than hard. However, when I had a large chunk removed recently from way down in my ear, it looked hard! It had been in there a long time.

Jaypfei
11-08-2014, 04:35 AM
I most definitely don't have The gene as I sweat like a mule and would love nothing more than to find a deodorant that actually works. :)