PDA

View Full Version : chiro

coffeelover
11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I have recently changed chiropractors and I am thrilled with my new chiro. She seems very progressive and I am asking that after fixing my present stiff neck problem, that we make regular visits. Any suggestions (Sangye?) as to what would be a good follow up and continuation plan for chiro visits?
I just don't want to get to that OUCH point again if I can help it
Lisa

Sangye
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Only a chiropractor who evaluates you can tell you how often is best for you to come in. I'm sure she must have explained about Acute care, Stabilization and Maintenance care? (She might have different names, but it's basically the same) Most people come in for the first time when they're having problems--pain, stiffness, or other areas involved like GI symptoms. Depending on what's going on it takes a few visits to get those initial symptoms under control. The stabilization phase is about getting things to stay in place and making deeper corrections. Maintenance is regular tune-ups to keep from sliding all the way back. Many patients don't hang in there after the initial phase and they wind up coming back later with more damage. It's like letting a dentist fix your tooth halfway.

There are a lot of different chiro techniques. Some bring faster results than others. The most important thing is to find a chiropractor that you have good rapport with, who understands the limits of working with a Weggie (ie, no stimulating the immune system or trying to cure Wegs naturally), and who works on you in a way that makes you feel at ease. Some chiros are really rough adjusters. If you're uncomfortable or feel tossed around, find a new one. You should enjoy going and you should always feel better when you leave, no matter what. :)

coffeelover
11-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Sangye! I had already decided on the maintenance plan, which is why I switched to this chiro. My old Chiro was great, but he was bound by the rules of the clinic he worked under which had the idea to fix the problem and send them on their merry way.
Another question? Does prednisone or mexotrexate contribute to problems in your back and neck? That seems to be the area that I need the continual work.
Or is it just my "old" age.?
Lisa

Sangye
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Yup to both. Because pred directly impairs the adrenals, and because adrenal weakness causes ligament laxity throughout the body, all your joints will be less stable. (Have you noticed your joints pop a lot since you've been on pred? Feet, shoulders, everything. Can't sneak up on anyone!) Any problem you had before will now be more evident. Also, chiro adjustments won't "hold" as well because the ligaments are too stretchy. Chiropractors know this, but as with any doctor it's important to remind them about your meds.

Mtx-- All drugs are stressors to the body because they're unnatural. Mtx adds to the adrenal stress that pred creates. It also stresses the liver (even if your blood work looks fine). Liver congestion is associated with neck tightness and migraines.

Doug
11-06-2009, 06:10 AM
And how! That's what I refer to when I speak of the wobblies that sometimes requires me to use a cane for stability.

coffeelover
11-09-2009, 05:44 AM
So next question? I am not a lush or anything and coffee of course is my drink of choice, but with the MXT and PRED can I have 1 -2 drinks (I love Brandy Manhattens!) one day a week with out causing more trouble for myself?
Lisa

Jack
11-09-2009, 06:48 AM
I used to drink a little malt whiskey when I was on those and my consultant knew about it and never tried to stop me. However, the official answer is probably that you should avoid alcohol when taking medication.

Doug
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Jack's right. Anything like this should be cleared by your doctor, and will depend on what you are taking. If he or she has the list and dosages of drugs you take in front of him or her when you ask, and says "yes", go ahead, with the limits he or she indicates. My doctor indicated an infrequent single drink would be OK with my drugs, but did warn against regular (daily) intake, especially more than one drink. :) Don't mess around. (A single malt Scotch sounds good right now, Jack. I'll be over later, and will bring the bottle! I take mine neat.)

Jack
11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
I'll be over later, and will bring the bottle! I take mine neat.)
I think it is against the law over here to drink it any other way! ;)

Doug
11-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I think it is against the law over here to drink it any other way! ;)
If not the law, then the laws of nature! Hey, I come from a long line of McKenzies and Camerons, so there's family honour (I have to insert the "u" in this word in this statement!) involved!

Sangye
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Lisa, all the drugs we take are extremely hard on the liver. Mtx really is. Alcohol is very hard for the liver to process. So each drink you take makes your liver work harder. BTW-- the liver has 240 functions in the body. Not exactly the organ you want to weaken!