PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics

greenjeep
10-26-2014, 05:29 AM
My wife has been on my case about my dirt and such. Does anyone use probiotics with any success?

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

Pete
10-26-2014, 07:15 AM
I eat some yogurt almost every day. Bowel habit is generally pretty regular. I take bactrim 3x a week, so the yogurt seems to keep the gut adequately populated with good bacteria.

Carol
11-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Since my recent flare Probiotics is a thing I have decided to try. I'm just taking Yakult but will try the tablets when I run out of them. Don't know if it's helping but can't do any harm or CAN IT???? Carol Australia

morningsunshine
11-20-2014, 02:59 AM
I try to get a serving of yogurt or a serving of probiotics every day (my mother sends me shipments of Coconut Kefir in the mail, so I usually just drink some of that). I haven't seen any noticeable difference from it, but I figure it can't hurt.

I'm also on Bactrim--thanks for the reminder that probiotics help with that Pete!

JeanMarie
11-20-2014, 08:41 AM
I recently took probiotics while under antibiotic treatment for a UTI. Besides WG I also have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia & I heard probiotics could be a problem with CLL so I stopped. I found very little info on the Web & I haven't spoken with my doctors about it. I did find a few articles about problems with immune compromised people but nothing specifically for us. Here's one article that maybe helpful (if you want to wade through it) http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/6/1256.full.pdf (American Society for Nutrition--seems like a reputable site) I wish I could take it because I think my stomach felt a bit better while I was on it. This is just my thoroughly non-medical observation and because of the CLL, my situation is pretty unique.

Wegetarian
11-27-2014, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I take some cheap store brought probiotics daily - and on the days I take my antibiotics I take some Precosa. They are quite expensive and can only be bought from the pharmacy, but a doc recommended them to be used with antibiotics and they seem to make me fart less on those days :)

Debbie C
11-30-2014, 04:17 AM
I just had a visit with my gi dr. and he wants me to take probiotics and also go on a gluten free diet ...yea right,as much as I would like to go gluten free,there just to many foods I like to eat. I haven't started the probiotics yet.

Dirty Don
11-30-2014, 05:46 AM
There is a study out (no reference point - it was on the news - Mrtmeo, your job!!!) recently that is casting doubt on the whole gluten free thing. The research is considering the possibility that gluten problems are caused by something different that reacts to/with gluten. I've simply cut down on the amounts and times I use processed bread, lost tons of weight, and generally eat better. Who knows...it's a crap shoot at best!! LOL!