PDA

View Full Version : If it's nothing, why am I so freaked out?!

NikkiNicole
10-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Today was my sixth month checkup with the oncologist. Yay, I've made it a year and a half without a reoccurrence of cancer! Except, there's been something bothering me for awhile and I brought it to his attention since I was there. Who else to talk to about strange lumps than the ol' cancer doc?!

I have this 1cm lump on my breastbone. Right in the middle o' the twins. (sorry fellas) It's been there for a bit but now it is bigger! So, I had him poke at it and he wasn't too happy about it being there. He's certain it's probably benign but, the wonders of my amazing oncologist is that he refuses to just let things lie. He is the reason I have a diagnosis at all. he had my lung biopsied and that's where the granulomas were found (that the pulmonologist and first rheumatologist disregarded). Anyway, I now will be meeting w/ a surgeon to have it removed and ... I get to start having mammograms! He wants to make sure there are no other lumpy things hiding amongst the tissues. But .. that's not the only reason ...

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in November 1996. She died from a crazy form of pneumonia in February 1997 so I never knew about the breast cancer until months later when I went in for my first "female appointment" and was doing a medical history. So, I get to jump on the mammogram wagon before I should be scheduled to do so. I should have been having them already. But, I haven't.

I know this is all just my doctor being hyper-precautionary because of my history but ... I can't help but feel a little freaked out on the inside. I mean, not that I am going to die. Because, I am far too stubborn and bull-headed to be going anywhere any time soon. I am freaked out about what will happen if I have to be out of work for awhile. I can't lose my house! I bust my tail to keep everything going and now ... it would all fall apart.

Stupid worries, I know. Part of me thinks I am latching onto that so I don't worry about everything else. Wegener's isn't even an issue. I know I need to worry about that but I know what I need to do about that. I know how to fix that part of me. I just don't want to face the other one right now.

Not again.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and update everyone.

JeanMarie
10-22-2014, 12:27 AM
(((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) & hoping comes up negative. So sorry you have to go through this.

Pete
10-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Relax. Breathe. You caught it early. Treatments have come a long way in the past 20 years. You'll be ok!

vdub
10-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Ditto what Pete said. Doesn't sound typical cancer, but you are going to have to be more vigilant than others given your mom's history.

Wow! Advice from a couple guys -- valuable I'm sure. But, maybe it will make you feel better. :-) Seriously, I don't think you have cause for worry at this point.

Debbie C
10-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Nikki, I am so sorry you are having to go through this but thank God you have a good dr. that is on top of things and just doesn't brush it off. Hopefully it will be nothing serious and just a lump. But Nikki your is health is more important than your job, I 'm sure you won't lose it or your house.Listen to what Pete just said. And keep us updated.

mrtmeo
10-22-2014, 04:21 AM
If u have a high rheumatoid factor, it could be those benign nodules.
Keeping your vitamin D levels within the optimum range can help both cancer and weg's.
GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action - GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action (http://www.grassrootshealth.net/)
http://www.grassrootshealth.net/media/download/dip_with_numbers_8-24-12.pdf

vdub
10-22-2014, 04:43 AM
You don't have RA do you, Nikki? That would be bad to have a double whammy and have two AI diseases.

Keeping your vitamin D levels within the optimum range can help both cancer and weg's.
It appears to me that the study you reference is only for prevention.

Jaha
10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Nikki,
Wishing you all the best for things to be ok. Sorry that you have to have additional stress put on you, it sounds like you have a great doc who will take great care of you. Please keep us updated and we are always here for you.

mrtmeo
10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
It appears to me that the study you reference is only for prevention.

There are studies showing much lower mortality rates among those with sufficient vitamin D levels, but there haven't been any studies on cancer rates among those with optimum D levels.
They have shown that those with end stage cancer have the lowest D levels.
Vitamin D deficiency common in cancer patients -- ScienceDaily (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111003132353.htm)

There is a wealth of info on vitamin D here
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

mishb
10-23-2014, 12:19 AM
You don't have RA do you, Nikki? That would be bad to have a double whammy and have two AI disease

Lol - I have three AI diseases (yes including RA) and it was the stress over stupid breast lumps that got me here in the first place :predrage:

After a core biopsy on 2 and a fine needle biopsy on another, all was good/benign........as I'm sure yours will be too Nikki.
It's just the stress and the thoughts going through your head, that are the worst things.

Welcome to the world of mammograms - but make sure they do an ultrasound as well because it picks up more.

Best of wishes to you and I'm sure everything will be fine - now, no stressing.

kaysee
10-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Nikki,
Sorry to hear this news - but try to relax until you really know what is going on. Everyone here has given you lots of great advice. Trust that everything is going to be ok. Don't let your doctors alarmed reaction steal your confidence.

Karen

NikkiNicole
10-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Thank you everyone. I am certain everything is fine but ... all those pent up worries from before are running rampant throughout my body. I have the lump surgically removed on November 5th. I am sure the mammogram results will be back before then and be just fine as well. I have to have surgery on an ingrown toenail around the same time. (When it rains, it pours I guess) But at least after that little flurry, I'll be done with everything for awhile.