PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone & Weight Loss -- Is it possible?

morningsunshine
10-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been on Prednisone since the beginning of May and have been tapering ever since. I'm now at 8mg/day, which is exciting!

My problem is that I was hit pretty hard by pred side effects--I have full blown Cushing's syndrome and I gained about 35lbs. Lucky for me, my appetite went back to normal when I got to below 10mg of pred. For the last 2.5 months I've been carefully monitoring my diet, counting calories, and exercising a lot, but my weight hasn't budged. At all. My moon face is slightly starting to go away, but the peach fuzz and acne on my face is still there.

My question is this: has anyone had weight loss success while on low doses of prednisone? Have you noticed changes in your metabolism since taking prednisone? When did the prednisone side effects start going away for you?

I just want to look like myself again...I don't recognize the person in the mirror. Dealing with this disease is hard enough, but because of the pred side effects I feel like I've lost myself in more ways than one.

Any tips/tricks for beating the prednisone weight?

drz
10-15-2014, 02:54 AM
Some (a few anyway) have lost weight they gained from pred. Lot of exercise and careful diet were the key I believe. My weight remained fairly stable for past four years after getting down to lower dosages but no luck in losing any but then I also have diabetes, limited endurance from Weg damage to lungs and kidneys, and I am also at the age where most people gain weight as their metabolism slows down.

If you are younger and active, some weight loss should come as you resume your normal level of activity if you feel well enough to do so.

Pete
10-15-2014, 03:29 AM
I've been below 40 mg of pred since the first of the year. I've been able to taper down to 3 mg now. I've lost about 8 lbs and 1.5" off my waist since then. I walk about 3 miles most days and try to watch portion sizes. I'm also eating more fresh fruit instead of sweets/chips for snacks. It's a slow go, but I'm getting there. I'd like to lose another 5-10 pounds...

I was dxed about 4 years ago. I'm 68 years old now.

TommyG
10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
I gained 30 pounds on pred and had severe moon face. I started losing weight when my taper was under 10 mg. 6 months later (at pred 5mg) I had lost all 30 pounds and the moon face pretty much went away. I exercised every day. Still do and I ate a very low carb diet. No sugar or processed food. I had to slowly increase my exercise, because I was so weak. I also had to watch out for injuries. I believe high dose pred weakened my joints. Patience surely helps with Wegeners. Best wishes.

morningsunshine
10-15-2014, 11:54 PM
To TommyG: Thank you! This was just the sort of story I was looking to hear. I feel like the internet is full of stories of people posting when they are in the panic of pred side effects, but there are no "after" stories.

it's really inspiring to know that someone else lost the moonface and the lbs 6 months after starting 10mg. I'll keep plugging away with the exercise and eating well and see how far it gets me.

Sjap0655
10-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Well, I am attempting to lose weight as well. I am down between 25-30lbs and still need to lose more. ITs all about diet and exercising. Prednisone is one tough cookie, but we have to be even stronger to get that stubborn weight off. https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10689822_10204931605549824_2554568537795754373_n.j pg?oh=c131eb31738137826a3fadadfabb8693&oe=54EF0D6A

drz
10-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Pretty clear progress in these pix. What is time frame for them?

morningsunshine
10-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Wow, Sheila! You look great! You can definitely see the progress in your face. It's definitely inspiring to see someone who has already come so far.

I like how you said that we need to be stronger than prednisone. I'll keep reminding myself of that!

brew22
10-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Thank you for the great success story.. It was just what I needed as I have been trying to walk everyday and wondered if I would ever be able to go more than a few blocks!! Yours Susie

Sjap0655
10-17-2014, 09:08 AM
The one of the Left was taken Dec 2013 the far right, taken October 2014.

drz
10-18-2014, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Sjap0655;90997]The one of the Left was taken Dec 2013 the far right, taken October 2014.[/QUOTE

Impressive progress.

feliciamings
10-20-2014, 05:33 PM
I have been on 20+ mg - including several months at 60 - for the past two years. I have FINALLY weaned down to 10 and in that month I lost 5 lbs! I'm still on strict orders not to do anything aerobic or too taxing because my doctor is really worried about it stressing my body too much and causing a flare up. But, I am a pretty strict clean eater, dairy and gluten light - like we go weeks without either and all I added was 600 stairs throughout an 8 hour day as I walked around. So not even intense all at once. It is possible... difficult, but possible!

GOOD LUCK! :-)

WG mom
10-21-2014, 06:16 AM
This post is so helpful and encouraging. My daughter is so distressed about her weight gain. She reports 25 pounds now. When last I saw her in August she was up only 10 pounds. I see her again next week (can't wait). She has decreased the pred from 40 to 20. Headaches have increased but she wants to tough it out so she can get the pred down below 10. If the rtx treatments she had in August are working, it's hard to tell, but her ENT notes tissue improvement in her nasal passages.
I will share these success stories with her. She could use a boost.
Thanks.

MikeG-2012
10-23-2014, 12:49 AM
This post is so helpful and encouraging. My daughter is so distressed about her weight gain. She reports 25 pounds now. When last I saw her in August she was up only 10 pounds. I see her again next week (can't wait). She has decreased the pred from 40 to 20. Headaches have increased but she wants to tough it out so she can get the pred down below 10. If the rtx treatments she had in August are working, it's hard to tell, but her ENT notes tissue improvement in her nasal passages.
I will share these success stories with her. She could use a boost.
Thanks.

I've taken off almost 30 pounds (in three months) without trying once I went off the pred. So tell her that it is possible and the weight will come off. IT WILL COME OFF!!!

WG mom
10-24-2014, 05:55 AM
So great to hear, Mike. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Alias
10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
That is similar to my story. I am still at 10 mg but once I got below 20 mg the moon face mostly subsided and I was able to control the appetite and get back into regular exercise - gradually - as TommyG says. I found that a walking regimen combined with reducing calories really helped.