PDA

View Full Version : Rheumatoid Arthritis AND WG ??

debhaz22
10-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Hi,
I was diagnosed in 3/2014 with GPA vasculitis (Wegener's). Now my Dr.'s are thinking I may also have RA. Has this happened with anyone else??? I've never heard of this before.
Thanks so much!
Deb H.

chrisTIn@
10-07-2014, 11:52 PM
I have been tested for the rheuma-factor and it was negative.
Still me and many other Wegs/GPA-patients suffer from joint-pains.
Maybe you should let your doctor test you, to rule out it's RA.
I think there are people on here who have GPA as well as RA.
You can also use the search-tool here on the forum, to check earlier posts.
Good luck! :smile1:

me2
10-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Hi Deb,
Well, you have probably read here that if you have one autoimmune disease you are more likely to get another autoimmune disease. I guess they enjoy company. RA is an autoimmune disease.
Or, in the words of Jack, just because you have one disease doesn't mean you can't get another.

Or, as I prefer to look at it, as humans, by the luck of the draw, it is possible that we can get anything.(I've proven this WAY too many times in my own life) One disease does not give immunity to other diseases.

I myself have osteoarthritis in addition to WG. This is considered a 'wear and tear' arthritis and my joints certainly have had plenty of that because of my life in construction and my enjoyment of physical activity like martial arts and hiking.

So, this is a long winded way of saying I get to 'explain' my arthritis a little easier than if it were RA.I probably would have it even without WG. The fact is , I wouldn't be at all surprised if I ended up with RA in ADDITION to every other problem I have. It could just happen.

So I read up a little on RA and like OA it has features in common with WG. You must have symptoms that go beyond what WG could cause that are giving you a diagnosis of RA?

I found one interesting article that talks about people with both WG and RA :

Wegener's granulomatosis and rheumatoid arthritis overlap (http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/41/5/588.long)

Hopefully it is not causing you too much discomfort and treatment gives you some benefit.
Tell the RA that you are quite busy right now. You appreciate the interesting nature of it but you simply don't have time for another disorder.

mishb
10-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Deb, it's not the end of the world. I hope your joints aren't in too much pain

I have a positive RH factor and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis about a year before having a positive ANCA reading and diagnosed with WG.
I also have positive ANA and diagnosed with Lupus a year after WG came Mixed Connective Tissue and Osteoarthritis in my fingers.

They call it mixed connective tissue disease because they aren't really sure what is causing all of the issues.
They know that I have inflammation in my joints and they know that my immune system is haywire, but they can't tell whether WG is causing it, or the RA or Lupus. For me they call it an overlapping condition.........as Kirk says, just because you have one doesn't mean you can't have another - or in my case and a few other people - many.

I love your last line Kirk - tell it you don't have time :flapper:

Big hugs to you Deb

godgirl
10-08-2014, 12:55 AM
I think auto immune disorders must get lonely. I certainly would if I were a horrible disease. I'd want some company.

Seriously, though, auto immune disorders tend to run in pairs or packs. My Mom had Inclusion Body Myositis as well as Polymyositis. In addition to the GPA they think I have (not officially dx'ed yet), the docs also suspect I have Cogan's Syndrome. Like others on here, more than GPA can be common. Unfortunately. :(

Hang in there, Deb.

Jen

mrtmeo
10-08-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi Deb,
One Rheumy tried to say my mom had RA only because she had a very high rheumatoid factor, but there are many things that can raise the RF.
An xray of my mom's hands showed she had no RA going on.
There is a test called CCP3 that can tell you if you are positive for RA and my mom was negative.
Also, RA is frequently treated with the same immunosuppressants as with wegs.

mishb
10-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi Deb,
One Rheumy tried to say my mom had RA only because she had a very high rheumatoid factor, but there are many things that can raise the RF.
An xray of my mom's hands showed she had no RA going on.
There is a test called CCP3 that can tell you if you are positive for RA and my mom was negative.
Also, RA is frequently treated with the same immunosuppressants as with wegs.

True. I had hand and feet xrays and they showed RA and OA

I am treated with the same WG drugs and an additional one being Plaquenil for the RA.
Others on here are also taking Plaquenil.

I hope they are organising more tests for you

gilders
10-09-2014, 03:50 AM
Hi Deb,
I have RA with my Wegener's. During my first "attack" of Wegener's the RA got so bad that my hands and feet became twisted and my jaw was knocked out of line. I looked very different and couldn't close my mouth.
My mother, her twin sister and their mum (my Gran) all have RA. Plus my mum's twin has Lupus.

I won't list all my health problems, but I have many. I used to think that I must be really unlucky, but know I'm sure it's a case of once you have an autoimmune disease and renal failure, the rest of your body is at great risk of other complications. It's not bad luck, it's just the cards I've been dealt and I'll just have to make the best of today before tomorrow brings yet another illness.