PDA

View Full Version : prednisone reversed side-effect or just getting used to it?

vdub
10-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't have to do a review with any of you on the side effects of pred -- we all know them only too well.....

I was restarted on pred at 5mg/day last January (2014). I felt great and had the typical energy boost. The energy continued until about a month ago and began to taper off. I now have very little energy, get tired fast, and have little endurance. Otherwise, I feel ok, not terrific, but just ok. Anyone else ever react to pred in this way? No meds have changed in almost a year.

Pete
10-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Might be the start of a flare. How do your labs look?

drz
10-07-2014, 02:49 AM
I don't have to do a review with any of you on the side effects of pred -- we all know them only too well.....

I was restarted on pred at 5mg/day last January (2014). I felt great and had the typical energy boost. The energy continued until about a month ago and began to taper off. I now have very little energy, get tired fast, and have little endurance. Otherwise, I feel ok, not terrific, but just ok. Anyone else ever react to pred in this way? No meds have changed in almost a year.

If you were getting along OK without pred then your body must have been making something to keep you going. And the extra 5 mg gave you a big boost but maybe now your body adjusted to the extra 5 mg of pred and it has stopped making any which is giving you a shortage of what you need to run your engines at normal RPMs.

vdub
10-07-2014, 03:58 AM
now your body adjusted to the extra 5 mg of pred
Can't be that. Remember, no pituitary, therefore no adrenal gland, therefore no cortisol. I am totally dependent on drugs. I don't like Pete's answer, but I think it is the most likely at this point....

I'm going to the UK in just a couple hours, but I do have a whole bunch of extra pred with me. I think I"ll take the entire bottle, tho....

mishb
10-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Safe travels vdub

................and I'm not sure I like Pete's way of thinking.

All the best to you and hopefully not needing to resort to the extra pred and, most importantly, not having a flare

vdub
10-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Thanks, Michelle. I think I'll be fine. I heard they have lectricity, indoor plumb'in and everything in the UK now. We're hoping for another nice trip.

Geoff
10-08-2014, 07:39 AM
News to me Vdub!! We have still got an outside toilet! (Only joking) Hope you get a good flight over and enjoy your stay. I dont think we will get to see you this time which will be a pity.

WIth regards to your pred predicament, I am surprised given your bodies inability to make cortisol that you dont have to munch steroids all the time? perhaps you could explain that one to thick headed me? I have never been lower than 5mg in the 6 years since DX and thought that my adrenal glands were shot but apparently tests show they are working. I guess my disease is just a constant low grumble, and needs the 'extra' pred. Maybe you are experiencing a rumble or grumble?? How long since your last bloods and do you have any other symptoms??

Let us know when you are about in the UK. Are you still heading for East Anglia first?

MikeG-2012
10-08-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm the same as you vdub! I've been off since September 1, and I hurt like he_ _!! My knees and legs are weak, and I feel like I am 90 years old. In fact, my 94 year old father-in-law can get from a chair faster than me. Doc calls it Prednisone myopathy. Affects the thighs and knees primarily. I did d google search on this and found some interesting scholarly and real world websites describing the symptoms and causes of this.

Mine has not improved any for a month and 7 days, so I am hoping it does soon--not sure how much more my body and mind can take.

vdub
10-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Too much cortisol? That's an interesting thought, Geoff. Its never been mentioned so must not be a problem. I'm feeling really great today, so well see if it stays that way for a while.

We got to the UK yesterday noon. We're at Lakeheath by Bury St Edmunds. Beautiful here -- not even raining. Our next stop is London. My plan is to stay in London about 4 nights, but Marcia retains veto power. :-)

You're right, Geoff. I don't think a meet-up will work out this time. We are going to Ireland and Scotland for a while, then might rent a car and go to the Lake district. We might be close to your sister, tho.

Geoff
10-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Ha! I think you spoke to soon about the rain Vdub!! It rained cats and dogs here this morning, but I see its forcast to improve later this week. Glad you landed safely and I wish you a happy and healthy trip.

Glad to read you are feeling better, just watch out for Shrek on your travels, he's still about!!

vdub
10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
just watch out for Shrek on your travels, he's still about!

If I seem him, I'll run. :-)