PDA

View Full Version : How long to retreatment?

mrtmeo
09-23-2014, 03:48 AM
Has anyone suffered severe flare within the first 6 months from their first Rtx infusion?
If so, did you get retreatment, increased prednisone or took another immunosuppressant?

My mom's kidney function was improving the first month taking rtx, but has been getting worse in the 2nd month.
She is now entering the 3rd month from the Rtx.
She has only been on the rtx since dx.

Dirty Don
09-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Patience drtmeo...give the drugs time to react within the system. Most of these drugs are slow in getting the WG under control. To answer your question: yes, all of the above. Best to you both.

mrtmeo
09-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Patience drtmeo...give the drugs time to react within the system. Most of these drugs are slow in getting the WG under control. To answer your question: yes, all of the above. Best to you both.

Yeah, DD.
The one thing I have lost thru this whole process is patience especially when her nephrologist said that he expects her kidney creatinine to below 1.5 and would be disappointed if it didn't.
My mom could never be able to go thru surgery for a kidney transplant and I don't think she would handle dialysis.
I'm just worried that if she is in a flare, could they retreat her to spare the kidney function or does she have to wait til the 6 month mark.

Dirty Don
09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Patience, disappointment, worry...all of them are part of the disease. Also, it's your mom's disease, but you are deeply involved, so, in context, you have it also. Must be strong...have to be. I believe, in answer again, that since your mom has not completed the cycle of the infusions that she can be administered more within the time lines. Correct me if I'm wrong!!! Hang tough.

kaysee
10-06-2014, 10:29 AM
This was my experience. Diagnosed in April and put on 30 mg pred. I had the 4 weeks of RTX throughout the month of June. My kidneys are involved and function went fro 25% to 50% after the RTX. Creatinens returned to normal. I was weaned off of the Pred and given no other maintenance drug. But by the end of August the creatinens started going up. When I was at 1.9 my kidney dr wanted another round of RTX. The rhuem dr said that they could not be given sooner than 4 months apart. The kidney dr was so concerned that I was going to loose kidney function that he called me himself and told me to go to the hospital. I was hospitalized 5 days and given pulse steroid treatments and put back on 30 mg pred. I am currently doing a second round of RTX. Had the first of 4 infusions last Monday. I think I was taken of pred too soon - but being that I have family history of diabetes and pred induced diabetes they want me off it.

Karen, April 2014

mrtmeo
10-06-2014, 11:40 AM
This was my experience. Diagnosed in April and put on 30 mg pred. I had the 4 weeks of RTX throughout the month of June. My kidneys are involved and function went fro 25% to 50% after the RTX. Creatinens returned to normal. I was weaned off of the Pred and given no other maintenance drug. But by the end of August the creatinens started going up. When I was at 1.9 my kidney dr wanted another round of RTX. The rhuem dr said that they could not be given sooner than 4 months apart. The kidney dr was so concerned that I was going to loose kidney function that he called me himself and told me to go to the hospital. I was hospitalized 5 days and given pulse steroid treatments and put back on 30 mg pred. I am currently doing a second round of RTX. Had the first of 4 infusions last Monday. I think I was taken of pred too soon - but being that I have family history of diabetes and pred induced diabetes they want me off it.

Karen, April 2014

Did u consider cyclophosphamide?
It works faster than Rituxan.

Most of the success stories I have read, the person had cytoxan first and then rituxan and had good results.
I have not met anyone who has MPA that only used rituxan.
I know the RAVE study showed it was just as good as cytoxan, but the RITUXVAS trial treated the rituxan group with both rituxan and cytoxan.
My mom still has a month to go before she is 4 months from first infusion of Rituxan.

mrtmeo
10-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Karen, April 2014

Hi Karen,
Please update us on you are doing since retreatment with Rituxan.