PDA

View Full Version : Have to switch to injectible MTX

makabe
09-19-2014, 08:01 AM
I've been on oral MTX (25 mg.) for 2.5 years now. My symptoms started flaring, so I was put back on pred and am now switching to injectible MTX, which I am frankly scared of. I know I am just being a baby, but I have never had to give myself a needle before.

How bad is it? Is it hard to get used to sticking yourself? I am pretty sure I am going to have a hard time looking at the needle going in, more so than being afraid of pain. I'm also curious about how the side effects differ, if at all. I tend to get pretty tired for 24ish hours after I take the pills but have been pretty lucky with nausea.

Thanks for your help!
Karen

Alias
09-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Karen, I started with self injections of MTX when I was diagnosed. Like you, I was scared of it and felt like a baby because of it. It is just a psychological hurdle you have to get past, and it won't take long at all to get used to it. I was literally shaking (maybe part of that was due to prednisone) when I did my first one. After my first couple weeks I was a pro and now it is just routine. If your clinic has not offered it, consider asking for a training session with a nurse and have her help you with the first dose. You can administer it in the upper thigh, or the abdomen/belly area. The nurse who trained me said people seem to prefer the thigh, but not for any good reason. There are fewer nerve endings in the abdomen, so that's what I've been doing. The needle gauge you will use is very fine and you will barely feel it going in. Remember, zillions of diabetics do this all the time for their insulin.

makabe
09-19-2014, 09:05 AM
That is exactly what I keep telling myself... Diabetics -- kids, even -- do it every day. I am sure I will be fine, but this may prove to be the largest psychological hurdle I've had yet. Sad, but true!

I am treated at University of Pennsylvania, and they told me to come in and train with a nurse for the first week. My mom, a nurse who is retiring tomorrow so will have lots of time to help, is coming with me and said she will do the first week or two so I get used to the sensation, and then sit with me when I do the first few on my own so I do it correctly.

I have read there is an MTX auto-injector. Curious why they don't use that??