PDA

View Full Version : skin biopsy???

carrottop50
09-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks for all the great information so far....
One more question... about a skin biopsy...Has anyone went to a dermatologist and have them do a biopsy of some of the skin areas had have blistered? I know a friend that had a skin biopsy for Lupus and her dermatologist told her they could tell if she has lupus even if it wasn't active so was just wondering if that would be easier then doing a kidney biopsy. Maybe there are other reasons why they do the kidneys???

greenjeep
09-16-2014, 01:37 AM
I read on the internet, when I was first diagnosed, that WG caused unspecific skin lesions on almost all patients.
I don't have anything like that myself, nor have I ever heard of anyone else complain of such until now.
Maybe it would be a good idea to visit a dermo just to make sure what you are dealing with.
Or maybe I am in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

mrtmeo
09-16-2014, 03:01 AM
My mom has the Livedo Reticularis rash, but from what I have read, if they biopsy, they may only find leukocytoclastic vasculitis which is not specific for GPA or MPA.
I didn't let them do a core sample on my mom's leg because it would only cause a painful scar and might not show anything conclusive.

The kidney biopsy seems to be the most accurate in diagnosing MPA and GPA and is not too invasive.
ANCA antibodies can help as well as a PR3 and MPO antibody test to help verify.

Psyborg
09-16-2014, 03:26 AM
I had a rash, and it was biopsied, but it came back negative. it was pretty obviously Vasculitic, based on a a flare, but was not conclusive as far as examination.

Sangye
09-16-2014, 10:21 AM
My diagnosis was confirmed via biopsy of a rash. I had severe, migratory joint pain, my lungs were hemorrhaging, I had a (+) ANCA and an ESR over 100. The biopsy showed leukocytoclastic vasculitis, which along with my symptoms made it clear that Wegs was the culprit. I didn't have kidney involvement and a lung biopsy was extremely risky as I was in critical condition

whatthewhat
09-16-2014, 04:00 PM
My daughter had her biopsy done on her skin also.

drz
09-18-2014, 02:05 AM
I have had some skin lesions biopsied and they turned out to be DSAP and actinic keratosis which are pre cancerous lesions that often occur in people with busted immune systems. They just freeze them with nitrogen to remove them and don't biopsy them anymore unless they look different than the two listed above.