PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a High (BUN) Blood Urea Nitrogen?

mrtmeo
09-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Ever since my mom had the initial diagnosis with kidney failure, her BUN has been very high.
Anyone have their bun return to normal or know what can cause this?

drz
09-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Many have had kidney damage from Wegs. Some Weggies end up on dialysis or get a kidney transplant. Others recover some or a lot after the Wegs is treated. With significant recovery most lab results improve and sometimes get back even into the normal range or close to it.

greenjeep
09-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Bun is an indication of kidney function. If your mom is in kidney failure, this number would naturally be high. When the kidney function improves, so will this number.
Many things can affect this number, a more stable number might be creatinine. But either way, neither of these numbers will be normal as long as the kidney function is abnormal.
Good luck to you both, I was in renal failure with WG an my neph got me nearly back to normal with steroids and cytoxan infusions.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway.

mrtmeo
09-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Bun is an indication of kidney function. If your mom is in kidney failure, this number would naturally be high. When the kidney function improves, so will this number.
Many things can affect this number, a more stable number might be creatinine. But either way, neither of these numbers will be normal as long as the kidney function is abnormal.
Good luck to you both, I was in renal failure with WG an my neph got me nearly back to normal with steroids and cytoxan infusions.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway.

Hi Green,
I am glad you got your kidney function back and thanks for the explanation.
I found out that if the BUN to Creatinine ratio is >30 it can indicate an upper GI bleed which I believe my mom has and is complicating her kidney recovery.
I sure hope she recover her kidney function, but according to the studies, it takes months.

greenjeep
09-15-2014, 01:25 AM
It took me about six mos to get to where I am now. Then I plateaued. Try to be patient, it is a slow, sometimes grueling process.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

mrtmeo
09-15-2014, 08:01 AM
It took me about six mos to get to where I am now. Then I plateaued. Try to be patient, it is a slow, sometimes grueling process.

Sent from my iPhone while driving on the freeway, eating salt, and drinking a 78oz soda.

Is that 6 months after induction treatment?
Did you use Rtx or Ctx?

greenjeep
09-15-2014, 01:07 PM
6 months from renal failure dx to where I am today, close to normal renal function. My neph set up a regimen of cytoxan infusions once a month for 6 mos (I reached remission with Wegener's) then another 1.5 years of Cytoxan infusions for "maintenance". Seemed extreme to me at the time but as I was nearly dead at one point, I handed over the reins. He saved my life and my kidneys.

mrtmeo
09-16-2014, 01:23 AM
6 months from renal failure dx to where I am today, close to normal renal function. My neph set up a regimen of cytoxan infusions once a month for 6 mos (I reached remission with Wegener's) then another 1.5 years of Cytoxan infusions for "maintenance". Seemed extreme to me at the time but as I was nearly dead at one point, I handed over the reins. He saved my life and my kidneys.

Hi GJ,
Do u remember what your creatinine was at it's worst and best and what it is now?