PDA

View Full Version : Starting rituximab next week

Ruotsi1
09-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi all,

I am getting ready to start rituximab next week. I am wondering what to expect (though I know everybody can be different.). Per Cleveland Clinic recommendations I am doing two infusions of 1000mg, two weeks apart. Wondering how people feel the days after the infusion and any common issuess that come up. Thanks in advance.

loisann11
09-15-2014, 10:57 AM
I did 4 treatments in 4 weeks. Not sure of dose. Basically sit in a chair and watch the IV drip. They take blood pressure every hour. They start the drip slow and watch for allergic type reactions etc. If you do OK they speed it up. First one took about 6 hours. Oh they test your blood when you first get there to make sure you can handle it. I was on 60mg prednisone at the time that was giving me grief so I don't think I had any side effects from the rituximab. Hope yours all goes well for you.

me2
09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
I am getting a Rituxan infusion tomorrow. The first one I had I was scared. Rituxan had not even been approved at that point. Now, it is just boring. Like loisann11 says 'sit in a chair and watch the Iv drip'.
Where I go they do have tv's (which I don't usually use) and wi-fi (which I do use). I also bring books , news papers and snacks. Because the IV takes over 4 hours they also let me order lunch from the hospital menu-pretty good food actually. I'm surprised that they have 'healthy' things on the menu. hahaha
I wish future me could have talked to me in the past and told me to not be so worried about it. The nurses monitor vital signs very carefully and often to make sure I'm not having a reaction.
Afterwards I feel pretty good- thanks to a horse dose of solumedrol. The next day I feel good also and every time I think "Oh, its not going to make me feel ucky at all this time".
Then the next day reality sits in and I just feel tired and somewhat mild flu-like symptoms.
I'm tired for a few days and sleep a lot and then perk up after that.

Good luck on your infusions. Let us know how things go for you. Take plenty to keep yourself busy , the five hours seems to go by very slowly.

I also plan ahead to have food at home so I don't have to think too much or work to hard the few days after.

mishb
09-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Best of wishes to you for tomorrow Kirk - I hope it gets things back under control :hug2:

annekat
09-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Best of wishes to you for tomorrow Kirk - I hope it gets things back under control :hug2: Same here, Kirk! And Ruotsi, I hope it goes as well as possible for you, too!

me2
09-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks you Mish and Anne . I am here at the clinic with my computer getting the infusion right now. I've actually been doing relatively ok (with of course some dramatic problems thrown in here and there).
My WG is quite quiet right now but I'm still a candidate for a 'booster' shot. Currently I get 1000mg infusion every six months. Of course they just gave me a horse dose of solumedrol with the Riutxan so be ready for my long drug fueled posts later on.
I got my black blood MRI a few days ago (also called an MRA) but I do not have the results yet. Since this test is relatively new and looks at blood vessel walls I am eager to see what the results are.

Jaha
09-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Best wishes to you, with your rtx tx. Good luck on the results of your tests also.

Bing505z
09-24-2014, 12:31 PM
My doc had wifi, TV/movies, served snacks etc while laid back in a big recliner with pillows and a blanket while receiving the 5 hour treatments. But on each treatment at about 30 minutes in I would be out cold .... lala land sleeping. Made me extremely sleepy. I would go home and wake up the next day.

loisann11
09-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I had TV too... no snacks ... did get blankets and lots of them.. IV made me cold. I slept through it also. Didn't seem that bad..

kaysee
09-28-2014, 05:54 PM
My experience was similar to the rest of you. The only real side effect I had was muscle cramping in my calves and toes during the infusion - but I think that was due to the high dose of steroid that they gave me first. I was having the muscle cramping to some extent prior to the rituxan. When they weaned me off the steroid the cramping stopped. I was also tired and had a slight headache after the infusion and just came hoe and slept.

I start a second round of rituxan on Monday. Hoping to get to remission for a while. Karen

gilders
09-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Good luck with the Rtx tretments. I'm always interested in Rtx as I've not had it and it's about my only option with a severe flare/relapse as I can't have some of the treatments due to renal failure and can not tolerate cyclophosphamide.
The good news is that I've only heard positives with Rtx:thumbsup: