PDA

View Full Version : Oh Poo!

Sangye
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Thursday is Global Handwashing Day. Who knew? It's the closest we Weggies are gonna get to a day that focuses on our needs!

These short films (http://www.thegoldenpooawards.org/films.html) are a must-see for anyone who's serious about, um, poo. Totally made me laugh. :D

jola57
10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Cute, should be a must see in primary school

Sangye
10-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Today is also FeelBetter Day. It's international, and includes all species.

I figure if people do a better job washing their hands, then FeelBetter Day can become a reality for Weggies!

Doug
10-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Thursday is Global Handwashing Day. Who knew? It's the closest we Weggies are gonna get to a day that focuses on our needs!

These short films (http://www.thegoldenpooawards.org/films.html) are a must-see for anyone who's serious about, um, poo. Totally made me laugh. :D

I used hand washing as the theme for my latest blog, which I shamelessly promote to you now. I borrowed Sangye's animated toilet talks for the blog, and attached a link from my blog to her blog for people who aren't on this forum. It is an excellent example of what blogging can be is managed well!

I don't know how you do it, Sangye. Your blog is an amazing thing! http://sweetnotalways.blogspot.com/ <<< And there's the link to it.

I highly recommend everyone take a look at it now, if you haven't read it lately because there is an excellent accounting of the national health care debate that goes on while 45,000 Americans die each year because they can't pay the price for health care! :mad:

Sangye
10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Doug. I love what you said on your hand washing piece, "Wash yer dang hands!" Sometimes it's all I can take not to throttle someone for ignoring it. And BTW, that was a great post on abuse. I agree-- it's always hardest to have compassion towards the abusers or the perpetrators of any violence. But it's probably the one thing they don't know how to give themselves.

coffeelover
10-22-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a HUGE jar of hand sanitizer next to the main desk at my Super 8. Handling money and key cards that people have touched makes this immunosupressed weggie more than nervous. My hands are dry, but they are clean
lisa coffeelover

Sangye
10-22-2009, 09:26 AM
The sanitizers with aloe really help keep my hands from drying out. I ran out of the aloe one and have been using plain for about a week. My hands are all dry and cracked! But clean!

Jack
10-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I have to admit that I take very few precautions against infection and although I have plenty wrong with me, this is not one of the things that trouble me. There was a time when I was always suffering from some minor infection, but the Co-Timaxazole put a stop to that.

Sangye
10-23-2009, 12:31 AM
I believe it's why I rarely get sick and didn't take bactrim when I was on ctx again the past 4 months. My Wegs doc didn't push it, either-- he knows I'm so careful.

Becoming so mindful was one of the most difficult transitions for me to make. In holistic health, we don't believe in the Germ Theory-- ie, that the mere presence of a germ makes you sick. We believe that it's the status of one's immune system that determines whether or not one gets sick. (This is why you won't see many holistic docs rolling up their sleeves for vaccinations) My practice was 50% pediatrics, and because chiropractic treatment balances the immune system, I always encouraged my patients to bring their sick babies and kids in, even with fevers, etc.... I was exposed to everything all the time, and never got sick.

Once I got Wegs I had to learn how to pay attention to what my hands touched, who I was around, etc... It was very painful, totally unnatural. Now it's just a habit.

Jack
10-23-2009, 02:02 AM
It must be a good practice to adopt and obviously won't do the harm that permanent antibiotics cause.
I used to be paranoid about cleanliness when I was on dialysis. If any of the equipment or my hands touched a surface that I had not sterilized during an exchange I would throw it away and start again.

Sangye
10-23-2009, 03:02 AM
I pay such close attention to doorknobs, etc... that I could tell you everything my hands touch each day. I push open doors using the back of my arm instead of my hands, press elevator buttons with something I'm carrying, etc.... Sometimes I just use my left hand for public surfaces until I can get to hand sanitizer. That way I know one hand is okay if I need to touch my face. As soon as I get home I wash my hands to avoid dragging home unwanted friends. I don't want Wegs--my BFF-- to get jealous, you know? :rolleyes:

andrew
10-26-2009, 06:17 AM
I thought I was the only one that did that :) You don't see anyone taking care with what they touch. ATM's are a hotbed of crap. I use my car keys to press the buttons. Don't know if it's the same elsewhere but when you go to a public loo say in a shopping centre, you have to pull the doors open on the way out AFTER you've washed your hands. Seems silly to me to instantly have to use something that is obviously skanky as soon as you're clean again :confused: In these cases I use my shirt or my sleeve to open the door. I get some wierd looks but that's ok. I'm not the one pooing through the eye of a needle. :eek:

Sangye
10-26-2009, 06:25 AM
To leave a public restroom I use a paper towel to open the door. Door handles are one of the most germ-ridden surface. Studies have shown the bathroom doorknobs in public restrooms have more (and more virulent) germs than the toilet seat.

andrew
10-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Yup I'd believe that. That's because only 12% of people actually bother to wash their hands.

Doug
10-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Yup I'd believe that. That's because only 12% of people actually bother to wash their hands.

Yuck! I would have guessed more, but all it takes is the one before you to leave a smear of unlovelies to contaminate your hands! I use a sleeve or towel to get out of public toilets, too. For that matter, I do the same no matter where I go. Laugh as they might, those who don't take reasonable precautions are in for trouble!:)

Sangye
10-27-2009, 06:00 AM
If you use a sleeve, you're carrying all those friends with you for days. If you can't use a paper towel, use your hand and use hand sanitizer as soon as you leave.

jola57
10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Lately sanitizer has become my second BFF and I don't leave home without it.

Doug
10-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Yuck! Of course you carry the nasties with you on a sleeve if you use it for a barrier guard! The paper towel is the better choice. In restrooms without paper towels, the antibacterial towelettes are a good choice to use after exiting.

andrew
11-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Makes you wonder exactly what you're getting when you meet someone and shake their hand.....

"Hello, pleasure to meet you, just one moment while I sanitise"

jola57
11-01-2009, 04:30 PM
That is just what I did, my accountant came in with a cold, I shook his hand before realizing this, when he said he had a cold I brought in my sanitizer and every few minutes washed my hands and stuck it up my nose. Didn't care how it looked.
My secretary always uses the sanitizer after handling money.

Sangye
11-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Yes, money has been shown to be filthy.

When someone sticks out their hand to shake hands, I say, "I'm on drugs that wipe out my immune system. If I shake your hand I'd have to clean it in front of you and that might offend you." They always take back their hand and reassure me.

Doug
11-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Yes, money has been shown to be filthy.

When someone sticks out their hand to shake hands, I say, "I'm on drugs that wipe out my immune system. If I shake your hand I'd have to clean it in front of you and that might offend you." They always take back their hand and reassure me.

That is more sensitive than what I said to a corporate visitor to the factory where I used to work. When I was introduced, she, of course, put out her hand to shake it. I said, clearly without considering job ramifications, "What I have can't kill you, but what you might have can kill me!" I was in the early stages of treatment then, so that may explain what I said! Ha! :):):):)

coffeelover
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
ahhhhh you are so nice to explain your behavior to others. I have had no trouble just cleaning in front of people. That anti bacterial bottle is alway nearby.
I also have no trouble grabbing a rag and wiping down door handles and counter tops in front of people. I just assume they think I am nuts.

Oh wait a minute......i am!

coffeelover looking for a good pumkin cake recipe? The one I tried today needs work.

Jack
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Hearing all these precautions you are taking, I just have to repeat what I have said in an earlier post.
I take no precautions at all other than washing my hands when I go to the toilet and although I have plenty of problems, catching infections does not seem to be one of them. :confused:

Sangye
11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Jack, aren't you also on Bactrim? That might explain. I'd rather take precautions than take antibiotics!

Jack
11-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Yes, you are right, and it did stop the infections, but probably contributed towards killing my gut.

Sangye
11-03-2009, 02:51 AM
You can get your gut back. It'll take a lot of work, but it's doable. Guts are very forgiving. :D

Jack
11-03-2009, 04:02 AM
You think I should be trying to repopulate it, even though I intend to keep taking the Co-Trimoxazole? Can this work?

Sangye
11-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Yes, obviously it's not the same as repopulating it once antibiotics are stopped, but it does help. (Also, I think you're not on daily antibiotics, just a few times a week? If so, that's even better) Think of it like having an oil leak in your car. Adding oil keeps the engine running, even if it doesn't fix the oil leak.

Doug
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Was that a diarrhea reference?:)

Sangye
11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
LOL--Nice one Doug, that brings us back to the thread topic....:D:D

Doug
11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Gad! I'm never on topic! :p

Jack
11-05-2009, 03:01 AM
There was an article in a TV program yesterday where they took swabs during a trip around London. They sampled trains, buses, taxis etc and then grew the cultures. Much to their disappointment they found almost nothing! Worst contamination was from the bus seats which grew a lot of penicillin!

Sangye
11-05-2009, 03:08 AM
In several Biology courses, we were given swabs and petri dishes and told to take samples from public places. The instructors said in every class, every semester there's always at least one sample that grows MRSA or something equally horrible.

Doug
11-05-2009, 03:12 AM
A study done here showed that the worst place to pick up feces contamination and other nasties was a worker's desk. The main cause was eating at the desk, whether a lunch or snacks and, of course, not washing one's hands after using the toilet. Telephone headsets were nasty, too, because of saliva splattered on them. When I worked, I wiped desk and telephone surfaces down regularly with an antibacterial wipe. Computer keyboards, too, were found to be nasty.:mad:

andrew
11-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Computer keyboards, too, were found to be nasty.:mad:

Yuppers they are one of the worst places - my keyboard included!!

The person at the desk next to me at work brought her kid in with her today. Kid was sick, coughing and sneezing etc. To her credit, she was sneezing and coughing into her tissues but geezzz....spent as little time at my desk as possible today!

Sangye
11-06-2009, 02:33 AM
I think we should call Ziploc and ask them to make an Andrew-size bag. What the heck was that mom thinking? Maybe she was Typhoid Mary in her last life? :rolleyes:

Doug
11-06-2009, 05:14 AM
The people where I worked- my office mates at least- were very aware of my vulnerability, and made efforts to spare me the sharing, much appreciated as all of them were exposed to kids in pre-school and young grades, making them prime carriers. I acknowledged their efforts but still wiped things down and used tissues or towels, whatever was handy, between me and surfaces we all touched. It worked pretty well as I didn't come down with respiratory infections or other infections associated with contaminated surfaces. They, on the other hand, had a typical amount of whatever was goingf around.:cool: