PDA

View Full Version : Prenisone and GERD

mrtmeo
09-06-2014, 03:56 AM
Anyone get GERD from the prednisone and it went away after getting off the prednisone?
I was told that prednisone thins the lining of the stomach.

morningsunshine
09-06-2014, 05:18 AM
I've had a bit of acid reflux while on prednisone, but I'm taking pantoprazole to combat it. Every time I try to stop the pantoprazole, the acid reflux comes back, so the medicine must be working!

jlove
09-06-2014, 05:53 AM
I was on prednisone 6 years ago and had acid reflux the whole time I was on it. Not long after I stopped, however, the acid reflex completely went away. I haven't had any acid reflux since but I've started up prednisone again and it's back :(

JeanMarie
09-06-2014, 06:27 AM
I think gerd is a pretty common side effect of pred. Most docs do prescribe something to control it--(at least I think so)

mrtmeo
09-06-2014, 08:18 AM
I've had a bit of acid reflux while on prednisone, but I'm taking pantoprazole to combat it. Every time I try to stop the pantoprazole, the acid reflux comes back, so the medicine must be working!

Hi morning,
If someone is on a ppi, such as pantoprazole, for a long time, it is really difficult to stop due to rebound acid.
The body creates more acid to compensate for the lack created by the drug.
From what I have read, you have to taper very slowly to get off it.

mrtmeo
09-06-2014, 08:37 AM
My mom's GI dr took her off after 2 months and wouldn't refill the ppi.
My mom just got out of a week long stay at the hospital where they were giving her the ppi again, but didn't fill out the paperwork for the prescription for home.
I've had to put her on Nexium until it gets done.

annekat
09-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Ranitadine, generic for Zantac, generic OTC, works well for me. Perhaps others would need something stronger.

Jayne 14
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I find if I eat a decent meal before taking my prednisone it isn't as bad / but I've reduced my dose by 2.5 the last 2 days & it's really awful at the mo . Hope it calms down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Debbie C
09-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I have to take 2- 40mg of protonix a day. I am due to have another endoscopy done in Oct.

drz
09-08-2014, 02:51 PM
I have had the same dosage for several years but my last scoping still shows irritation in throat from GERD. I was told sleeping sitting up might help.

mrtmeo
09-09-2014, 02:12 AM
My mom's problem is that it is Silent Reflux and she doesn't have symptoms except for a post nasal drip cough, throat inflammation and occaisionally, a little burning in the stomach in the early morning hours.
She had an EGD and colonoscopy back in May where they cautorized some surface blood vessels in the colon and removed 2 polyps, but there was no bleeding at that time.
She seemed to be in a non stop flare during and after Rituxan treatments, so wondering if vasculitis and prednisone is causing all this extra GERD?
Prednisone thins the stomach lining, but she is only on 10mg prednisone and this all started after her cut from 40mg down to 20mg.
They cut her prednisone too fast within a month 40mg down to 20mg, then one week later down to 5mg and back up to 10mg after stopping Imuran due to too much bone marrow suppression.