PDA

View Full Version : Donating blood

Jaypfei
09-01-2014, 01:07 AM
I know it seems a rather strange question, but are We able to donate blood??? If not then does that also exclude organ donation???

Pete
09-01-2014, 01:47 AM
I don't think it entirely precludes donating blood. I believe they can still use the plasma and platelets.

gilders
09-01-2014, 09:21 AM
As well as WG I have many other illnesses. One of these is Haemochromatosis. The treatment is quite simple, I have blood letting. I did ask if they could make use of the pints of blood they remove from me, but they said that it would have to be binned. I think they said it was due to the medication I was on, but I didn't specifically ask if any of my illnesses prevented my blood been used.

Although that doesn't directly answer your question, most WG patients are on lots of meds, so chances are they won't be able to donate.
I am intrigued to hear of any drug free remission WG patients who have been told they can donate.

So if there is anyone who has low iron levels, has ran out of prednisolone, azathioprine and 6 other useful drugs, then my blood could be just the tonic for you! Well, so long as you don't mind immature, odd shaped red blood cells. Any takers??

mishb
09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
My Rheumy said no to donated blood or donating organs.

It may be different rules within Australia, I'm not sure.

I have also had Glandular Fever, so that counted me out pre WG anyway

Wegetarian
09-02-2014, 12:16 AM
So if there is anyone who has low iron levels, has ran out of prednisolone, azathioprine and 6 other useful drugs, then my blood could be just the tonic for you! Well, so long as you don't mind immature, odd shaped red blood cells. Any takers??

Two pints please!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nl9AR3NyCBc/UJvYqFyTNuI/AAAAAAAAAzk/P0gNJJZjX2o/s1600/count-dracula.jpg