PDA

View Full Version : Constipation ??????

Jayne 14
08-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Does anybody else suffer constipation on the steroids ????
The pain I'm in some days is really frustrating & makes me cry it's that bad
I try to drink loads of water & eat fruit but still suffer
Any suggestions ??????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dirty Don
08-30-2014, 07:59 AM
I did at first...PCP told me to eat yogurt...I did...it pretty much cleared up.

Jayne 14
08-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Just regular yoghurt ? Or 1 of those active bacteria things ???

Pete
08-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Try regular yogurt first. If you don't get enough relief, you could ask your pharmacist about a probiotic.

me2
08-30-2014, 02:13 PM
I have not had prednisone cause constipation but everyone is different. I did have serious problems during a period of time when I was using a lot of pain killers. My brothers wife came to my rescue. Nothing I was doing was working. Prunes , yogurt etc. did not work. They had worked for me in the past (especially dried prunes and lots of water) but were doing NOTHING for me while on pain killers. I think these things work good on a mild case but mine was real serious and not responding.

My brothers wife has worked for many years in assisted living as an RN. She told me to take both a stool softener (like Dulcolax) and Senna tablets (which is an herbal laxative) at the same time. It worked like a charm. Not too harsh either- it was just the right thing.

I still keep these products on hand in my medicine kit in case I need serious help. I know how miserable it can be.
I hope you find something that works for you soon.

drz
08-30-2014, 04:49 PM
I was given several aids right away as part of my regular meds. A stool softener, a fiber capsule and one called Senna tablets which is a natural vegetable laxative. Without these meds i varied from constipation to diarrhea with no idea of why but with them I have had no trouble or problems. I just assume such meds were a normal prescription for anyone taking all my meds.

Dirty Don
08-31-2014, 04:04 AM
I like Greek yogurts, so I used them. Worked fine for me. But, as already said, everyone is different on different meds. Pain pills are notorious for causing constipation.

Jayne 14
08-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone , will try all the above !!!
It really is bad sometimes : so need to do something 👍