PDA

View Full Version : Remission blues

sbeach78
08-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Well its only been a few weeks since the doctors started using the word remission. My WBC had leveled out around 6.4, all my blood work was looking great, except for the kidneys still just hovering around thirty percent. After all this feeling good and being motivated what do I get? "SHINGLES" go figure so they taken me off the ctx for five days. Cause last night I had fever so I went to the ER not that I wanted too, it was to keep my wife from nagging me. They took some blood checked my temp and said "um I dunno". They finally got ahold of a doctor that new something about WG and they released me not feeling any better then when I got there. This morning I woke up with an ear ache , chest congestion, and sinus issues. Its like I am falling apart all over again. If this is remission they can keep it....jk but I do wish they would have kept the shingles they truly suck..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mrtmeo
08-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Weren't you on Acyclovir as a prophalaxis to keep from getting shingles?
My mom is having a bad time too, post rituxan and I have yet to any improvements.
She is just getting worse than she originally was except for the kidney function.

sbeach78
08-23-2014, 08:19 AM
No they didn't put me on anything to prevent shingles, that's the first I have heard of such a thing

mrtmeo
08-23-2014, 12:43 PM
No they didn't put me on anything to prevent shingles, that's the first I have heard of such a thing

Acyclovir is an antiviral that works against the herpes virus.

Thinker
08-24-2014, 01:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your attack of shingles. I have not had them but from what I've heard from people that have, it is very miserable. I did get a large cold sore not long after I started ctx that made me miserable and it took about three weeks for it to completely go away using Abreva ointment. If it hadn't gone away I was ready to ask my doctor for a prescription for Acyclovir. I would definitely ask about it. I am not considered in remission yet so still on 150 mg ctx and 40 mg prednisone, tapering down 5 mg per week.

sbeach78
08-24-2014, 01:12 AM
They gave me Valtrex which is also an antiviral, when he first mentioned it above I thought he was talking about getting it before I had symptoms, kinda like the bactrim. Shingles is definitely uncomfortable to say the least, but I just woke up from my first full night of sleep in three days, feeling a bit more positive then when I started this topic.

Jaha
08-24-2014, 04:11 AM
I'm feeling your pain, I got shingles about a month after my first rtx tx and it was one of the most trying times.
They gave me the anti-viral and it didn't stop them, I might of waited to long to go get them addressed. I am glad that you are getting some relief. Wishing you all the best for getting them out of your life.

mrtmeo
08-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Here is a clinical case where 4gms vitamin C helped resolve the herpes zolster or shingles.
Administration of Vitamin C in a Patient with Herpes Zoster - A case report - (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3111558/)