PDA

View Full Version : Mid Michigan; Need Dr Specializing in WG

Ginger C
08-21-2014, 06:02 AM
My 73 yr old mom diagnosed 3 years ago, and is currently very stable :) Only meds right now are for her high blood pressure.
Her Internist /Nephrologist is wonderful and she doesn't necessarily want to see anyone else. Her Primary Care Dr is recommending that she see a Rheumatologist.
I'd like to make sure she sees someone that specializes in or sees many patients with Wegeners.
We are willing to take her wherever is necessary. We are within a couple of hours from Grand Rapids MI or Henry Ford, minutes from East Lansing/MSU, and 4 hours from Cleveland.
Any strong recommendations?

Thanks so much!
Wish I'd found this forum 3 years ago.... I've learned so many things!

drz
08-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Cleveland Clinic is only recognize one with known expertise in Wegs. They might be able to refer you back to some one closer after you consult with them. They most likely have had residents and interns from your area who would have some experience in dealing with Wegs.

Pete
08-21-2014, 08:31 AM
There are several of us who are within a few hours drive of Cleveland Clinic. I see Dr Alexandra Villa Forte there, and I've heard good things about Drs Gary Hoffman and Carol Langford. All are rheumatologists.

Drz raises a good point of seeing if a Cleveland doc can recommend a doc closer to home. Hope your mom continues to do well.

mrtmeo
08-21-2014, 10:32 AM
You can contact the Vasculitis Foundation for either a support group rep in your area or they may directly know of one specializing in Wegener's.
Vasculitis Foundation (http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/)

Ginger C
08-21-2014, 11:00 AM
You can contact the Vasculitis Foundation for either a support group rep in your area or they may directly know of one specializing in Wegener's.
Vasculitis Foundation (http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/)

The Cleveland Clinic website has been helpful. Even found a video of Drs Hoffman and Langford discussing Wegeners and treatment.

brew22
08-29-2014, 08:57 AM
I live in Lansing MI and was diagnosed with Wegs June 2014. I was lucky to have a Doc that has 4 Wegs patients and is in touch with the Cleveland Clinic and Mayo. Dr Carol Beals RM on St Joseph n Lansing. and Dr. Tikaria nephrologist also in Lansing They like each other and work together on my case...

Psyborg
08-30-2014, 03:00 AM
There is a VF event happening next month in Michigan. The doctors all look to be from hospitals between the UofM and Detroit area. I'm guessing that might be a great time to get in contact with someone, or at least you could review the speakers and try to contact their offices?Upcoming Conferences and Symposiums (http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/education/conferences/)

chris.wg
09-06-2014, 01:45 PM
First time mentioning where I'm from but I live in Michigan myself. The doctor I been seeing is at U of M his name is Alfred Perado. He didn't mess around getting me into a ENT at the hospital as well as chest ex-rays sinus cat scan new blood work and general full work up. Even though I have been stable for over a year and a half I went to see him because I was stable on Cytoxan but at a high level of it still 125mg. None the less I considered making the drive to the Cleveland clinic if this didn't go well. Month's later he is still who I see. Not sure if this info is of any use to you but lets face it any doctor we see is who we are trusting with our lives. And he is who I trust with mine.

brew22
01-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Did you ever find a Doc in MI!!!

Terri H
04-10-2015, 04:43 AM
I am from Michigan as well . My friend sees Dr. Perado for RA and can't say enough good things about him. I tried myself to get an appointment with him but it was about a 3 month wait. I have a different U of M doctor and I'm considering switching to Dr. Perado