PDA

View Full Version : Thrush in the mouth and digestive tract

ingemlb
08-02-2014, 04:11 PM
A few weeks ago I had a rather white tongue with red blotches. GP thought it was thrush and prescribed a liquid I had to swish around in the mouth and told me "You can swallow it" so said the chemist. Well I figured "can swallow" also means "don't have to swallow" and as I am already swallowing enough I figure I would rather spit it out after leaving it in the mouth for quite a while. The thought of swallowing it actually made me gag in any case.

My GP felt the Thrush was caused by all the stuff I am taking which includes an antibiotic called Bactrim however nowhere is Thrush mentioned as a side effect of Bactrim DS. But the treatment seemed to work. The tongue is back to normal.

Last Wednesday I had a gastroscopy to find out the state of my Oesophagus and all the ulcers in my stomach. My Gastroenterologist thought after I was diagnosed with Wegener's that all the problems in my digestive system including my IBD diagnosis were due to Wegener's and nothing else. Her examination proved her right. The ulcers are all but gone. One small one left but it is almost healed.

I wasn't too with it after the anaesthetic to ask the right question. If the problems are practically gone why are the pains increasing and why the spasms in my chest.

She did tell me I had some thrush in the oesophagus and in the stomach and prescribed Fungilin lozenges to be chewed 3 times a day for a month. I overheard the nurses mention the word Oesophagitis and when I just looked it up found out that Thrush can cause it. And that Oesophagitis symptoms can include chest pain and tightening.

Night before last I had a very severe attack pain middle of chest radiating to the left ear. My usual remedies had no effect and it took a long time to settle. I was on the brink of packing a bag for the ER when it finally settled as I was beginning to think it was a heart attack.

The leaflet for fungilin mentions something about alerting your doctor to the fact you are diabetic. But nowhere can I find any research that says what can happen if a diabetic takes the stuff.

I have booked in to see the Gastroenterologist to discuss these things but in the meantime was wondering if anyone else here suffered from recurring oral or digestive thrush caused by our meds and if so, do we know which of the meds bring it on and are there any ways of avoiding it?

Also does anyone here know what could make fungilin contraindicated for diabetics. It has some potentially nasty side effects such as kidney or liver damage but I have yet to find a medicine that doesn't list potential nasty side effects :(

Psyborg
08-04-2014, 03:36 AM
I have had several bouts of Thrush. Mine's been mostly in my mouth...makes my tongue burn alot. I was told the Predinsone is more likely the cause. It raises your blood sugar and reduces your immune system. That makes the perfect environment for the fungus.

ingemlb
08-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Thanks Bob. Sounds feasible re the Prednisolone. Makes it difficult to figure out how to prevent it :( especially how to stop it going down into the stomach and oesophagus. I ended up so far with 2 nights of chest pains and the last one (Saturday) put me in hospital because I thought it felt like a heart attack. They found nothing wrong with much of anything especially not the heart and the doctor there told me the thrush could cause inflammation and that in turn can cause this nasty chest pain. So I'll be glad to get rid of it .