PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Alaska...

Alias
07-30-2014, 04:16 AM
Hi, I have been reading the forum for the last couple of months and decided it was time to chime in. I'll start with trying to give a concise history of my GPA story...

I am a 57 year old man living in Anchorage, Alaska. My adventure with GPA started some time in 2013 - I'm not really sure exactly when, but I think symptoms began in April or May. I had recently changed jobs after 25 years with the same company, and was going through an extremely stressful transition. I got a really bad cold and just could not seem to shake it. Historically I will get one or maybe two bad colds in the course of a year, but have been able to shrug them off pretty quickly. This time I would bounce back for a while and then feel crummy again. I remarked to friends and coworkers that I felt like something fundamental had changed in my health profile, because this ongoing/recurrent "cold" was not anything like I had experienced in the past. I started wondering if my new office had an issue with mold, or if the extended stress I was under had weakened my immune system. In October, I took a short plane flight for a business trip. During ascent and descent I had pain in my ears, which is not something I usually have. On landing, I found I was able to clear my left ear, but the right ear would not stay "unplugged" for more than a few minutes at a time. I assumed that I had wax blockage, or maybe some problem associated with my lingering upper respiratory symptoms. When I got home I went to my GP, who irrigated my ears, based on my history of previous episodes of wax blockage. However, very little wax came out and the hearing in my right ear was, if anything, worse than before. I went back to the same clinic a week or so later. At this point, the doc figured I had an infection, and prescribed antibiotics. After a couple of weeks with no improvement, we tried a different antibiotic. Still no improvement, so I made an appointment with a local ENT. Meanwhile, my wife and I took a trip to Las Vegas. I felt OK and had a really good time, but by this time I had no hearing on my right side and being in noisy environments sort of took a toll on me. I began to have pain and drainage from my right ear. I think it was early December by the time I saw the ENT. He thought I had a stubborn case of otitis media, did a thorough cleaning, application of topical antibiotics through a "wick", and prescribed more oral antibiotics. When I came back unimproved in a few days he was very surprised. He tried a different medication through the wick. After that didn't work, he referred me to another doctor in his practice. She performed a myringotomy. Going into this procedure, I had a terribly stuffy nose. Immediately after the procedure, the stuffy nose became incredibly inflamed; I felt like insects were crawling up my nasal passages into my sinuses! I had extended fits of sneezing. I called the ENT on call that night, and he said don't worry, just use some Afrin. A few weeks later, I was worse, still having ear pain and drainage and feeling generally debilitated. My nasal passages were clogged and occasionally bleeding. At this point the surgeon performed a mastoidectomy. She thought my nasal symptoms were due to a stubborn cold; after all, it was winter in Alaska and she had a cold too. After a couple of weeks, the doctor cleared me to take our planned vacation to Hawaii in January. I was optimistic at this point that I had gotten definitive treatment for an infection, and that two weeks in the sun would be just the thing to boost my recovery. Wrong! While we were there, I only got more sick. I completely lost my sense of smell, had very little energy, and frankly started to feel like I was dying. As our trip was coming to a close, I had an email exchange, completely by chance, with a relative who is a mostly retired rheumatologist. I mentioned my symptoms to him, and he immediately replied, telling me to get work up for ANCA, chest x-ray, and UA to rule out GPA. When I got back to Anchorage, the ENT agreed that perhaps something systemic was going on and ordered the testing. Well... I was positive for ANCA, had elevated CRP and ESR, etc. Despite efforts by the ENT's staff, there was no local rheumatologist who would even agree to review my records, much less see me on a timely basis. In early March, I ended up flying to Seattle and seeing a rheumatologist at Virginia Mason Clinic. Prior to the appointment, he wanted the local ENT to do a nasal biopsy. So... my third surgery in a pretty short interval. The biopsy kicked up the nasal inflammation terribly, to the point that I could not breathe at all out of my nose. I was sleeping upright in an armchair, constantly breathing through my mouth. I did get put on 60 mg per day of prednisone during this period, so I started to get some relief from the worst symptoms. When I saw the rheumatologist in March, he put me on MTX injections, continued the prednisone at 60 mg and scheduled a taper, and prescribed the usual ancillary meds, e.g. folic acid, fosamax, bactrim. While at Virginia Mason I also so a rhinologist, who prescribed topical steroid rinses for my nose, and bactroban ointment. Since then, I have had monthly blood work locally, and one follow up with both docs in Seattle. I'm happy to say I have been on a pretty steady curve of improvement. My nasal symptoms are still annoying, (but I have regained sense of smell) and I have not regained any hearing in my right ear. Just last week I had an audiogram and learned that I have good residual hearing in the damaged ear and would benefit greatly from a simple hearing aid. So... I'm working on getting that done. I'll see the rhinologist and rheumatologist again in September. I'm feeling mostly well, except for lack of stamina, breathing problems due to nasal scarring and obstruction, and hearing impairment. The monthly labs suggest that at this point I am dealing with damage from the disease and drug side effects, but no active disease at this time.

Believe it or not, that is the short version of what has seemed like a very long nightmare.

lag713
07-30-2014, 04:56 AM
Welcome AlaskaTom! I'm sorry you went through all of that but I'm glad you found this forum. I hope you find time to share more about your experience (or adventure!) with us. I wish your ENT had consulted with a rheumatologist but at least your relative came to the rescue by advising you to get a work up for GPA. I hope the nightmare is over now that you have a diagnosis and that your steady improvement continues.

Alias
07-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Initially when I was diagnosed and started learning about the disease, I was sort of amazed that nobody picked up on the fairly classic presenting symptoms I had. Over the course of a few months I saw three ENT docs at the same practice, complaining of the same persistent and worsening symptoms. However, having read many stories on this forum and elsewhere, I realize I am lucky to have been diagnosed so "quickly." It seems there are many who literally go for years with unexplained symptoms before getting properly worked up and diagnosed. I can also see that, as miserable as I was, I have had a relatively easy ride so far compared to a lot of folks.

I would be interested in learning about other members' experiences with hearing impairment and how they have dealt with it. Have some people had serious hearing loss restored with time and treatment? One of my worries is that a major flare would attack my other ear. I also have variable tinnitus, especially on the bad side but also a bit on the other side. I'm told that a hearing aid may or may not help with pushing that to the background.

Psyborg
07-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Hey Alaskatom, welcome to the forum.

annekat
07-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the forum, Alaskatom. I have gone through much of the same stuff you did, with the antibiotic-resistant ear infections, hearing loss, nasal and sinus issues, etc., but it took 2.5 years of recurrent sinus infections, thought to be caused by allergies, before Wegener's went into my lungs and I finally got diagnosed. I'm hopeful that ENTs and other docs are becoming more tuned in to this combination of nasal and ear symptoms and will think of GPA more readily. I'm glad you didn't have to go any longer than you did waiting for a dx. You may be able to avoid a lot of permanent damage to your sinuses and the bony structures in your nasal cavity by being very diligent with nasal saline rinses such as the NeilMed system available all over. As for hearing loss, it is often caused initially by eustachian tube dysfunction caused by inflammation, not allowing the ears to drain properly and too much fluid to build up, which also would likely be the cause of an ear infection. The infection itself can also cause permanent nerve damage in the inner ear, which can permanently affect hearing. Some people with GPA do get their hearing back once the inflammation has been brought under control. Others have suffered permanent damage and will need hearing aids. I'm one of those, and wear standard digital aids which do a good job and do mask the tinnitus, at least in one ear. The other ear is having some issues and is not hearing well at this point even with the aid. Previously it was the good ear, as the other is the one with the nerve damage, but there's been erosion of the ear drum and tiny bones on the other side of it, and an ongoing low grade infection there for which I take antibiotic ear drops. Everyone's case is a little different and it gets pretty complicated to try to compare them. I can only hope that your GPA was caught early enough that a lot of the permanent damage will be avoided and you will get your hearing back. It sounds like things are on the right track. Good luck, and I hope to hear updates from you, and that you'll feel free to join in any of our discussions, ask questions, vent and rant if necessary, and share any stories you'd like to.

Pete
07-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Tom. Hope you find top-notch care and get into remission soon.

Alias
07-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Annekat, thank you for that very thoughtful and helpful reply!

vdub
07-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Maybe we will cross paths. My daughter is at JBER, so we get up there from time-to-time to see her and catch our limit of halibut. Welcome to the forum...

Jaypfei
07-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Tom,
Your story sounds kind of familiar, but glad you were able to be dx'd and are being treated. There are a few of us with permanent hearing loss. I'm deaf in my left ear and have hearing loss in right ear. I had surgery last year for a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid/device.) traditional hearing aids weren't an option for me. I lost the majority of my hearing within a nine month period. First from initial damage of the disease and then an immediate relapse after I was taken off treatment. I basically had to wait till I was stable before they would do the surgery for the BAHA. On the upside, if I lose anymore hearing, the device can be reprogrammed. I'll just hope it doesn't come to that. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

drz
07-31-2014, 02:48 AM
My BAHA and regular hearing aid in other ear gave me back some hearing. The addition of the BAHA also seemed to reduce the ear noises a lot or else I have just gotten used to them as they don't bother me much anymore.

mishb
07-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi Tom and welcome to you from me in Australia.

You sure have to love those antibiotics that don't work :razz:

annekat
08-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Hi Tom and welcome to you from me in Australia.

You sure have to love those antibiotics that don't work :razz: Yeah, I don't get that.... with the big fat ear infection I had at the beginning of Wegs (though I didn't know it at the time), the first two that they tried didn't work at all! Not in the least. So did that mean it wasn't really an infection, but Wegs disguising itself as one? Then the doc pulled out the big gun, Levaquin, and the infection subsided. At that point, he took a sample for culture to see what this "really weird bug" was that I had, but somehow, it wouldn't grow in the culture dish to anyone's satisfaction. Weird bug, indeed.

After that, I had a never-ending series of sinus infections. The antibiotics, usually along with prednisone, did seem to work to some extent, but the infections would just come back within a month or two. A common story, I imagine. So I'm concluding that there really was some bacteria in there along with the Wegs crap, but Wegs does have the ability to mimic infections, including the greenish mucus and all.

Alias
08-01-2014, 06:15 AM
My experience was very similar. I had been on at least two oral antibiotics, maybe three, plus topical antibiotics in the ear, before the Levaquin. The myringotomy released a lot of apparently infected fluid, so there was evidently an infection. But, nobody thought to do a culture until I was already on the Levaquin. At that point, it's no surprise that a culture would not produce anything, I think. I also seemed to have some improvement, but not much, with the Levaquin. Next step was the much more invasive mastoidectomy, which the surgeon says also showed gross evidence of infection, but nothing on culture. I suspect that had I been diagnosed, the mastoidectomy would never have happened; they would have started aggressive treatment of the underlying problem instead. I think there's no point in "going there" with the surgeon, as I'm not having active follow up with her and it's water under the bridge at this point.

annekat
08-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I think that in my case the culture was also done too late, while I was already on Levaquin. After my ears had cleared up, the ENT had me go in for daily IV's of Rocephin, another strong antibiotic, for 5 days, to prevent or guard against mastoiditis. I guess that was a good idea, although an expensive one. During this whole time and for weeks afterwards, there was nasal discharge, I was coughing a lot, I wasn't hearing well, and I had little energy. Things did improve a bit before the series of recurrent infections, occasional bouts with joint pain, and eventually my lung involvement which I thought was pneumonia but turned out to be Wegs/GPA. I got the hearing aids sometime after my diagnosis.

Carmen11
09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi , Welcome to the forum ..your story is a roller-coaster ride ! I can totally relate , I'm new on here by 2 days but it's now been over a year since my diagnosis , but just in these few days I am sooo thankful to have found this sight. It's incredibly reassuring to get to speak with others with similar stories and know you are NOT alone ! Keep fighting !!!!!