PDA

View Full Version : Tetanus vaccine

Rose
07-28-2014, 03:11 AM
Had a bad fall yesterday when I tripped and fell down a few steps and banged my head on some brick paving. Went to ER where I received a few stitches to a deep puncture wound on my forehead. I went into shock as it really was such a bad bang to my head. Fine today though spent all day in bed. Don't think I will be going out for a few weeks as I have two huge black eyes.

E R doctor was unsure if he should give me tetanus because I am immune compromised. I will phone my rheumatologist tomorrow but just wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to have the vaccine Apparently I can have the injection up to 36 hours after the incident
Thanks

Rose

Psyborg
07-28-2014, 04:03 AM
I've had a tetanus shot at CC I believe so I think it's fine. It is a deactivated vaccine so it should not be really risky. I know some other folks here are have more issues with vaccines, so I'll listen for their take on this one.

mishb
07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Rose, I have no idea about the tetanus shot - I am just so glad that you are okay :hug1:

Sending gentle hugs your way until you feel better :hug2::hug2:

Jaypfei
07-29-2014, 06:31 AM
I had my Tetanus shot last October along with my Flu shot. Since I had just had a Rituxan infusion in September, I didn't have any issues with it.

Rose
07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks all. Went ahead and had it yesterday after confirming OK with Rheumatologist. My head is also beginning to feel much better though I look like a raccoon with my two black, purple. eyes....the bruising has gone down as far as the tip of my nose. Very bad bruising and the doctors say probably because of the prednisone. Luckily I did not bleed intracrainally. Housebound for a few weeks me thinks.

Rose

mishb
07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
:ohmy::crying::sad:

I hope it doesn't take a few weeks before you are out and about again.

Rose
07-29-2014, 10:19 PM
:ohmy::crying::sad:

I hope it doesn't take a few weeks before you are out and about again.

Michelle....only because according to the doctor it will take that long for the bruising to go away. Could go out today but there would be stares and questions. The bruising goes down onto my cheeks and even the biggest pair of sunglasses doesn't hide it. lol Good opportunity to catch up on some work around the house so not too bothered

Meredith
07-30-2014, 12:52 AM
I had a Tetanus before going to India 2 years ago - no problem.

mishb
07-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Michelle....only because according to the doctor it will take that long for the bruising to go away. Could go out today but there would be stares and questions. The bruising goes down onto my cheeks and even the biggest pair of sunglasses doesn't hide it. lol Good opportunity to catch up on some work around the house so not too bothered

Go out Rose - gosh you will have a story to tell.
End off the story with .......but you should have seen the other guy - that will teach him to mess with me :flapper:

chris.wg
08-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Good thread for me to read even if I am late to the conversation. I was wondering about this myself. I tend to be fairly safe yet every 5-8 years do something stupid that requires a tetanus shot. Going on 12 this time around knock on wood. But when I was looking at rituxan interactions with other drugs tetanus was listed as a drug there could be clinical side affects use under supervision. Here is my catch 2 close family memebers who are highly allergic to tetanus shots. I get a mild stomach ache from it nothing major. I doubt this will play a factor but as always sits in the back of the mind.